Anybody have insights on AO Tele manufacturing delays?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jellodog, Aug 3, 2021.

1. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

I ordered an American Original 60s Telecaster mid-February 2021. I knew that there would be delays because of the pandemic. That's fine - I'm sure that many people would have been waiting longer than I have already. Most likely it will be a few more months wait.

Just curious if anybody has received their guitar yet; if ordered from a similar preceding time period, e.g. December 2020, or January 2021.

2. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Tele-Meister

I was thinking about buying a new one but after being told spring ‘22 before it would happen, I found a used one.

WingedWords and jellodog like this.
  3. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

I agree with you. If I could go back in time, I would have given that avenue more of a thorough investigation. Then again, the market for used guitars in my area isn't particularly good.

4. Bedroom Thrasher

Bedroom Thrasher TDPRI Member

I ordered a Broadcaster on 6th of March 2020. Arrived 2nd of October! I'm in Australia though.

jellodog likes this.
  5. LoudLullaby

LoudLullaby TDPRI Member

If you’re heard of the global chip shortage, that has since expanded to other off-board components and probably to the rotary switches and pots as well. I’m not involved with these specific builds but this is what I’m seeing in the industry.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    jellodog likes this.
  6. MrDavey2Shoes

MrDavey2Shoes TDPRI Member

When I was calling around to find one at shops the company line was "we have no idea when we'll see those again, been a while"

7. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

I am crying into my morning muesli here :cry:

Fretting out likes this.
  8. pickleweed

pickleweed TDPRI Member

i put an order in back in march, and my dealer told me they expected them in August. I bought an AO strat from them as well, and they were spot on with their delivery windows for that one. So i expect they should be showing up real soon. but who knows if anything has changed since. But another dealer quoted me theyre not showing up until February next year. So it sounds like it also varies per dealer.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

Last I heard was "November 2021", but still I find your information encouraging - thanks!

I ordered my AO Tele from a smaller boutique store in Canada. Possibly Fender favours the big retailers in the US (and I would understand why, because it's just business), but who knows; could be all sorts of random elements at play here.

Thanks again, anyway.

I worry that the pressure that Fender is under from the pandemic and huge number of outstanding orders, that the quality could suffer in some cases - I take it that you were happy with the fit and finish on your new guitars?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  10. pickleweed

pickleweed TDPRI Member

I had the same concern. It's possible i just lucked out, but the strat was perfection. just perfect out of the box. i dont think fender is cutting any corners they dont normally already cut lol.

jellodog likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

My friend, Randy, was telling me something about supply chain contraction versus 18 months of pent up consumer demand but I don’t understand the reason because I am not an economist.

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. Wooly Fox

Wooly Fox TDPRI Member

Supply in the UK seems hit and miss, my local big guitar store was well stocked with AO and Player Series Fenders (got to try the AO 70s Tele custom, MIJ Tele Deluxe and a MIM Vintera Tele Deluxe) but the bigger online stores like Anderton's, Gear4Music and PMT don't seem to have stock for months.

The other local music shops look pretty bare with the last of their unsold stock from 2019 or early 2020 left on display.

Meanwhile got an excellent deal on an AO 70s Tele Custom on Reverb as the seller got it in January 2021 and then didn't play it. Build label still in box says guitar was made in October 2019 so I guess there must be stock stuck in circulation somewhere.

jellodog likes this.
  13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm pleased I got my vintera when I did. The bigger stores, like you've pointed out seem to be stripped

14. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It really appears Fender has focused their production capacity on their core lines for the duration of the pandemic. AmProII, Player, etc. I don't think there's a single AO on the wall of any retailer in my city right now. It's a shame because the AO's, in my opinion, are the best production guitars in the current Fender lineup. Worth every penny.

jellodog likes this.
  15. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

Good point. That would explain other recent production models of new guitars showing up in stores, whilst there are no AOs in sight. I keep noticing posts where people have new Amercian Professionals, Ultras and whatnot, that they've only just recently ordered... whilst thinking "but where's mine!?".

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  16. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

The fact of the matter, you won't be disappointed when the guitar is finally in your hands. What color did you order?

jellodog likes this.
  17. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

Thanks, man :)

Lake Placid Blue, Rosewood Fingerboard. Looks gorgeous in just about any photo or video I've seen of it. That colour works so well with the chrome hardware.

18. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Great choice. I have the AV 64 in LPB.

ND4_4983.jpg

mimmo and jellodog like this.
  19. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

Wait - TDPRI doesn't have a drool smily / emoji?

Well, you'll just have to imagine that right here :drool:.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  20. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

You mean this one? Yeah, these are special guitars. It's the best guitar I've ever played!

[​IMG]

mimmo and jellodog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.