Anybody Gig with Solid State Amps or Lower Watt Tube Amps That Doesn't Break Up?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dreamingtele, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Hokuspocus

Hokuspocus TDPRI Member

Have you thought about a direct unit? I get pretty good tone from my Headrush Gigboard, and I know several people like the Helix Stomp.

As far as an actual amp, I found a good deal on a Mesa Transatlantic that has a decent Fender tone, and it's very small head. You could pair it with whatever cabinet you liked. I also liked my Ibanez TS series. It had pretty nice cleans. Not exactly Fender, but definitely not Vox. Best part, it was dirt cheap used.

2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

You are right, with that amp the did a little masterpiece, i have two actually, one with a 12 speaker and one with a 10, i play them together, mostly at home, i get a great stereo sound from these guys, incredible volume, i'm talking about the Pathfinder 10....

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Not sure Princetons are going to be within the OP's budget, especially in Oz.

dreamingtele likes this.
  4. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

You sound like my gig experience. Cleans at whatever volume is what I look for. Without a doubt, My drip edge Twin is the cleanest at any volume. That being said, turning down a Twin to 1.5 seems such a waste, not to mention moving weight. My smaller options are a '71 SFDR modified with 2x10 baffle loaded with 2 JBL D110Fs and running 6L6s, or my Super Champ XD, also loaded with a D110F and running 6L6s. Both give me cleans well into the volume range of the Twin, with added portability. _526.JPG _561.JPG

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

To answer an earlier question, Peavey C30/DeltaBlues do not sound very fendery. The DB has a fendery tremelo channel though.
    The Peavey Valveking 50 is generally cheap, and while not Fendery, is closer than other Peavey stuff.
    Cheap fender tube amps tend to be not the reissues, you're more likely to find HR or Blues deluxe/Deville in the price range of a new Jr than much else. Ibanez TSA15, several Peaveys, the fender Excelsior, and Supro Blues king are all at or under the cost of a new Jr, if that was your budget. They all are in the size and wattage range of a PRRI.(except maybe the excelsior, but its worth it....)
    Jet City and Bugera have 50w offerings that sound kind of "Fender inspired ", and aren't too pricey. The difficult part is going to be finding what you're after used, but if you determine budget and are patient, you can find something. You're after a midsize(10to30) watt amp, but you may be able to talk someone into parting with a larger one for cheap (they're less desirable currently) so keep that in mind as you shop.

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I wish I remembered what the band was called. I can probably look it up. The guitar player definitely got the memo. He was playing a Vibro Champ. It sounded like a Twin Reverb through the mains.

A Princeton is around 13 watts to a Blues Junior's 18 watts. Roughly 1/3 more power might look like a lot on paper. Power doesn't amount to much until you double it.

The PRRI made it to Australia, no?

Just sayin'. If you think a Princeton Reverb is expensive in Australia, try shipping it to the U.S. for re- work.

While we're at it:

Anything over 20 watts is a medium sized amp as far as I'm concerned. The trend is towards sub- 20 watt amps mic' ed through the mains.

Further,

If they have Tech 21 Trademark 30s in Australia that's a good relatively low buck analog solid state amp. Yeah, it's 30 watts but it's tiny.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    naveed211 likes this.
  7. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Jakedog gigs with a SS amp - a DV-Mark that weighs about 10KG/22 lbs. He's pretty happy with it.
    Another friend of my uses a Helix straight to PA and is very satisfied with that.

8. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Why don't you get a SS amp that has a decent clean tone and then save for a tube amp that checks all the boxes for you down the road?

That Tech21 Trademark 30 that muchxs mentioned is a pretty solid amp, Peavey Bandit. Even some of the steel guitar amps like Evans you see used for pretty good prices.

9. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

The Quilter Tone Block 201 with a 1-12" cab can fit in the trunk of a Mazda Miata, delivers a clean as big and beautiful as any Twin Reverb, has enough volume to cause permanent physical damage, and has a balanced direct out for a PA.

Cerb and etype like this.
  10. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I use a Marshall MG30CFX. 30w solid state. I use ONLY the clean channel. I crank the gain and the volume, and then adjust the master volume to taste. Clean tones are good, and I usually mic it.

I have an OD pedal for use when the boost pedal is too much for a small room. That way I can get a little dirty without changing volume. But the overdrive sounds best if you boost your signal and start overdriving the amp in ways Marshall did not intend.

You can get these here in Europe for less than 200 Euros, and I got mine for about 160.00 Euros.

Daniel

11. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Look out for a tech 21 tm 60

12. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

The stock firmware in the Blues Cubes hits overdriven pretty easily. Roland has a tone capsule called Sparkle Clean that's two channels of clean.

I love mine to bits, but for the same money as a Stage plus the tone capsule, you could buy a JC-40.

13. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Not trying to be critical, just working through things. I'll start of of with the Vox 15. It is only 15 watts and has a 8" speaker. If it was adequate almost any other amp discussed would be also. A Peavey 30 would be stupidly loud as compared to it. Not sure how a Blues Jr/Pro Jr could not have clean headroom unless it is a speaker issue (one that breaks up easier). The Pro Jr doesn't have the mid cut of a Fender tone stack, might make it sound mid heavy. A lot of a amp's sound is determined by the speaker, some break up more than others. A Pro Jr, Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb do not have much difference in power going to the speaker. All should blow away the Vox 15. A SS amp that sounds good with a decent speaker should work. Any modeling amps you tried?

14. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

If you want tubes find a non verb Princeton. Clean up to 12 on the dial with tone to die for.

CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  15. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Once you use the microphone the watts are rather pointless, if you say the 8 inch speaker is not as good as a 12 i'm with you but once you go through the P.A. 15 or 30 watts doesn't really matter, i've played my Pathfinder 10 in a big open garden, no problem at all as long as you use the mic.

16. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

As far as price, the DR was expensive, however, the SCDX ran me 175, including tax at GC, used. I had the speaker, and the JJ 6L6s ran 38, so overall, I'm into the SCDX for less than 220. The 6L6s are not the optimal tubes for the SCDX because there is not enough voltage from the trannies, but since I'm not running it at anywhere near full volume, no problems, so far. The tonality of the 6L6s, tighter bass and more chime, is there in spades. They make the little guy really come alive.

17. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to dismiss small tube amps because you're concerned about early breakup. Just change out the v1 preamp tube to a lower gain tube -- like a 5751 or 12AT7 (or even a 12AY7).

This won't magically increase your volume, but it will keep you cleaner longer.

https://blog.thetubestore.com/preamp-tube-gain-tweaking/

18. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't see how a lower gain tube will make for more clean output (watts). The power tube clips long before the preamp tubes unless you are hitting the input hard. You just get to turn the knob higher.

twangjeff likes this.
  19. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Like I said, it won't magically make you volume louder (definitely not). But if your broken-up volume is loud enough, changing v1 to something lower-gain might help. That's all.

Roman4405 likes this.
  20. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Definitely not a pro here but, nothing wrong with using a clean ss combo for gigs ... it's your tone :cool:

If I was buying an ss combo now, like you I play mainly clean and get a bit of boost and fizz from pedals ... I'd probably try an Orange Crush 60 (12" speaker) using just the clean channel.
    (I have previously tried the Crush 35 in a store but didn't think the 35 watts and only a 10" speaker on the Clean channel would cut it live, quite happy to be told that ain't so, just what I felt at the time ...?)

Alternatively, a used Roland Cube 80 (1x12) can do loud cleans and will probably be less expensive than a JC40, but a JC40 (2x10) would be very nice indeed.

I know here, in the UK, used prices of DRRIs, PRRIs let alone Twins (in fact any Fender tube amp) are way higher than in the States and are far fewer in supply, probably accounting for their higher prices etc. Knowing Aus. to be an expensive place anyway ... I'll guess you're finding that too.

Good luck ... let us know how it goes.

Edit: The Crush 35 watt (35RT c. £220 here) is in a different series to the 60 watter.
    For the 60 watt model you want the Crush Pro series - CR60C, currently c. £400 new over here. Also, I know it's on the edge of your weight limit, but surely do-able.
    Plus don't buy into the Orange can only do heavy - clean is clean ... you can always stick a Joyo JF-15 in front for c. £35 - more expensive pedals are available :).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.