Anybody every use slow-down software?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by joel_ostrom, Aug 7, 2011.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

Any folks here ever use any software for slowing down tracks for figuring out the fast licks? I sometimes use 'The Amazing Slow-Downer' - its awesome. Doesn't change the pitch and you can EQ it to suit the sound you want. You can slow it right down to whatever percentage of the original speed you want.

Sometimes i feel like i'm cheating by using this, or that a real player would just listen and do it by ear. But sometimes i can't get it just by listening to the original track alone.

Anybody else got tips for how to figure stuff out by ear?

2. hungry_pete

hungry_pete TDPRI Member

I use audacity. Really good piece of free software. When I'm trying to cover a song, I often slow it down with this and practise on top of it to make sure it's sounding nice and clear before I speed it up. As I side note, i've also used this to shift the key of a song to practise with when my band's covering that song in a different key.

Walking before running and all.

3. Robin Nahum

Robin Nahum Friend of Leo's

ASD is great.

But one of my other current challenges is learning to read time. For this, I am keying melodies from charts into Finale Notepad, playing them back, and listening to what each sounds like as I follow the cursor.

My other woodshedding tool is Band-in-a-Box.

For playback, I run a lead from the PC's headphone output via a small mixer into the 1 and 2 inputs of the normal channel of my Deluxe Reverb.

4. pick-6

pick-6 TDPRI Member

5. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I use Audacity.

6. JDC

JDC Tele-Holic

Joel,

You may already be aware ( I wasn't until recently) but altering the speed of a tune can be accomplished right in Media Player (at least in mine..I think it's version 12) w/o any additional software required

1)Open Media Player.

Look in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Thereiyou will see an icon which will toggle you from "Library" to "Now Playing" mode. "

Click your Media Player into "Now Playing" mode.

A new screen will appear.Right click anywhere and you will see a drop down. One of the options in the drop down is "Enhancements" and one of the enhancement options is "play speed settings"

I don't know what the quality is like, but it's certainly good enough to learn the fast licks you mentioned.

But, I guess that wasn't really your question, was it?

IMHO it's not "cheating" to use technology to assist you in learning licks...as long as, at the end of the day, you're the one playing them!

It's just my opinion, but given the choice between working hard (listening to a passage infinitum in order to learn it) or working smart (using technology to make the learning curve a little less steep)...I opt for smart.

7. Rob Moody

Rob Moody Tele-Meister

ASD is awesome. Media player is truly awful compared to ASD or Audacity or Transcribe, truly terrible. Sounds like you are under water after you've slowed down just a little bit. With ASD you can loop, change pitch etc.

8. rkwrenn

rkwrenn Tele-Meister

9. notyalcer

notyalcer Tele-Meister

Capo for Mac OS. Great stuff!

[​IMG]

10. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

I demo'd Transcribe! and loved it...not willing to spend money though.

11. geeanell

geeanell TDPRI Member

I use JamVox, costs a bit but it has all those different amp, speakers, and pedals to play with as well.

Which means I've actually saved a fortune.

It works but does get under water sounds if you slow it down enough.

12. vincent

vincent Tele-Holic

I don't feel that it is cheating. Heck, Eddie used to slow down old records to figure out some of Clapton's stuff. And he did pretty well for himself. It's not cheating, it's just a more effective use of your time. Would you prefer to use a rock to drive a nail because using a hammer is cheating? ;) It is just a tool. Use it for all it is worth.

13. joel_ostrom

I guess you're right. It definitely cuts down on listening times for me. Lots of the fast country licks i try to figure out i have to listen to them like 30 times at 60% speed (or slower) to figure them out. Never mind at full speed.

That's interesting, to think Eddie did it the same way. I always think of all the great players in history, back in the day when such technology wasn't available and what they did to figure out fast, indistinguishable solos and such. I guess "cheating" is a bad term. I just wonder if it makes you a better player (or trains your ear better) when you can pick out the notes from the unchanged track and normal speed.

But if Eddie did it, then i guess its ok for me;)

14. joel_ostrom

wow! now this looks cool! i'd almost like to buy this just to see if its as accurate and reliable as they say it is. My guess is that it isn't, but you never know. I mean, it just seems unlikely that it'll be able to tab out a blazing fast solo - note for note - just by analyzing the track. But i could be wrong.

If this does actually work then this is what i've been waiting for!
    thanks for sharing!

*oops, correction - i assumed that the program tabbed it out for you. But i see that you have to do the actually tabbing.

i'm very intrigued by this. must try it out!

15. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

Good learning tools, but don't really llike practicing with my computer. I just use a little digital recorder called a Chop Shop patched into my CD Player. Only records 32 seconds at a time and allows you to slow down the playback without altering pitch. Easy to use and great for learning a lick or 12 bar sequence. Was only about $70.00 at GC. Don't know if they even still make 'em.
    Swang on,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.