Anybody ever "shim" a neck humbucker route into a single coil?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by logans_tele, Aug 14, 2019.

1. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Not sure if "shim" is the most technically accurate word. But I'm thinking about taking some spare light wood I have (balsa) and just cutting out a piece that will fit right into the neck humbucker route to let me use a neck pickup without mounting to a pickguard. It's purely for aesthetic purposes - I think the neck pickup sans visible mounting screws is slick... surely this has been done, so anyone got pics or specific ideas?

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Tele neck pickups that are NOT mounted to the pickguard are typically screwed into the body w/ foam under the pickup to give you the ability to adjust height

[​IMG]

with a pickguard cut for a SC neck/no mounting screws, you should be able to do the same w/ the existing HB route at the neck spot

[​IMG]

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

IMG_2550.jpeg IMG_2572.jpeg

Verne Bunsen and logans_tele like this.
  4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I believe “fill” is a better descriptor.

I’ve done some minor filling, for instance, to build up a collapsed edge of a control cavity so that there’s a solid point for the mounting screw to secure the control plate firmly.

Just take your time and whittle the piece (or pieces) to fit as tightly as possible before gluing it permanently in place.

Anyway, I’ve had excellent results using this product:

FDFBCE4E-1682-4444-BB96-9B61C7E8365B.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  5. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input. I am assuming the pickup benefits from the lateral stability afforded by the more-or-less "snug" wood around the traditional single coil route.

6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I prefer to mount them to the pick guard because it makes adjusting the height easier and it’s tedious to loosen the strings and take out the pick guard , adjust height and repeat. That’s just me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hound Dog and Verne Bunsen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.