Anybody ever build this $89.95 Tele kit?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Thoughtfree, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree TDPRI Member

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

"Guns and Guitars" on YouTube did a comparison build video with it as one of the guitars.

I have my doubts about this kit. I think you would be better off with one from TheFretwire or Bargain Musician, if they have them in stock.

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I'd spend your credit on a pair of GFS pickups only and get the kit elsewhere. Nothing worse than dealing with mis-aligned holes and I can almost guarantee...

skitched likes this.
  4. doblander

doblander TDPRI Member

I'm into refinishing guitars but I've never tackled a build. You are experienced at the mechanics of these machines and you have initiative so we both know that you wouldn't be shut down by any misaligned hole or sichlike. That's what dowels and drills are for. And that's what hobbies are for. Show us that a cheap kit can do anything that an overpriced one can without a bunch of hand wringing and fear. Get it and get busy. Send in some pictures at least when you're done.

5. TheGooch

TheGooch TDPRI Member

You turn that box of stuff into a Rolls Royce. Fit and finish are a huge part of what makes premium premium........and upgrades

6. illinismitty

illinismitty TDPRI Member

If I were to do a kit right now, I would go with Fretwire. I have a friend that did a GFS kit, and it was a headache. Crappy neck pocket, holes and hardware not lining up, etc. There is a reason they are cheap

bgmacaw likes this.
  7. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Lipstick on a pig.

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I bought my Number One from the Charlotte, North Carolina Salvation Army for fifty bucks. I keep the invoice in the pocket of my gig bag.

It could use a setup but it's playable as- is. Which is more than I can say about that box of parts you're considering.

I wanted to save wear and tear on my Number One, maybe get a guitar I can throw under the wheels if we get stuck in the mud. My Number Two is a Strat shaped object some tweaker was tryin' to hock at Music Go Round. MGR wouldn't give him the time of day. I gave him ten bucks.

:D :D :D

I have a Les Paul Junior body set up for a Tele bridge and control plate. Gonna build me a Strings 'n' Things.

There's a blast from the past.

9. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The one tele kit I put together, a few years back now, was a RAS (Reid and Son) brand 12-string kit I found on eBay ($75), and to this day I can't get over what a great guitar it is. Play it all the time. Everything still stock.

I always figured I lucked out with that particular unit, but I'd buy a RAS kit again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.