1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody ever been to SWSX?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

We're getting flown there, Austin, in a couple of weeks to do three gigs.

Not SWSX proper, the big hollywood thing, but a smaller festival that is for "rock" bands, part of and coinciding with the big SWSX.

Anybody ever been? What can I expect? Good and bad experiences?

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

No, and I haven’t been to SXSW (South by Southwest) either! :rolleyes::)
    (If you google SWSX you will find that many people have exchanged those two letters already...)

Hope all goes well for you at the Festival gigs!

3. Wrong-Note Rod

oh my goodness

a spelling burn

AAT65 likes this.
  4. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Some good barbecue, that's for sure.

BorderRadio and Wrong-Note Rod like this.
  5. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Are you playing the Texas Rock Fest? I played that with an old band back in ‘08 maybe? It was okay, nothing really came of it. Playing the competing festival definitely had its limitations. For example, someone from Red Rocks was speaking with us about booking our band there, but when we were discussing the next venue where we were playing a “showcase”, he whipped out his trusty SXSW map and it wasn’t on there. At that point, he became a bit confused and disinterested and didn’t bother making the extra effort to see us play.

6. Wrong-Note Rod

not texas festival, something called Red Gorilla or a similar name.

I wonder if we will have a similar experience.... I'm not in charge at all, I just show up and play and get paid.

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Have fun parking :)

I was there last year but didn't go to much of the festival since work was crazy. The bar scene was bumping more than usual which was cool. I saw Grandaddy at the BBQ place with the venue out back, was it Stubb's I'm thinking of? Anyway, cool little venue and that band was awesome.

8. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

Where are you playing?

I only have one show during SX this year, but it's definitely not something we look forward to. If you don't live here, and you're being driven around, you'll have a great time - just soak it up and enjoy it! Hopefully you'll meet a lot of music fans, make some new friends, and see a band or two that you really dig ....that's about the best you can hope for :)

Best of luck and have fun !!

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Concurrent festivals? Wow... 'cuz SXSW doesn't crowd the streets enough all by itself. A local writer here in Atlanta said he finally stopped going because it had become just too big a cluster****.

That said, congrats on a great gig, and I'm sure you'll find some great stories and good street food nearby.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes, yes I have.
    A high school chum invented it.

AAT65 and BorderRadio like this.
  11. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Played there some years back with a singer-songwriter I was working with at the time. It was probably 12, 14 years ago or so. Had a great time. The band stayed at a friend's house and we had transport all set up so we had had very few hassles. Just had to show up and play. Got to meet and hear a bunch of great musicians. It was there that I met Bill Kirchen and while we talked, I found out he had read my work - my day job is writing, believe it or not - and that we were both playing the Bethlehem music festival that summer. Of course, most of the time, though, we talked teles.

It was a good time. We were lucky to have a native guide to steer us in the right direction when it came to seeking barbecue and fun places to hang out.

12. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

In 1993 it was great. Some amazing bands and it was cheap cheap.
    In 2007, I had a blast. A lot of fun and we had a great hotel.
    In 2012, it was jam packed. Hotel was a dump. I saw some great comedy and a few great bands but I was generally stressed by crowds and traffic.
    What changed? I got older and the Fest got huger. I imagine my age had the largest impact.
    I love Austin but I doubt I’ll go back again during SXSW.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.