1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody enjoy a good Scotch ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Dec 4, 2018.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Slainte!

Paul-T likes this.
  2. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

For many years I was a strict Glenmorangie adherent but recently I transitioned to Bowmore 12.

nvilletele likes this.
  3. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I will get it right some day ... I should probably go there at some point to insure it!

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Balvenie is very nice. I often get myself a Dalwhinnie too.

My fave by far though is the Johnnie Walker Blue blend. Just leagues better - smooth, rich, flavourful and not raw, fiery and thin like the single malts.

bftfender likes this.
  5. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

I sat and had a very long and wonderful conversation with a distiller at Macallan when these new products were in development. Your feelings about them are common, but I would urge temperance. The thought and care behind some of the alternative products is admirable and not just marketing. In some instances, the "alternative cask finish" products are quite a hassle to make and get right and in no way represent an inferior pour.

Ardbeg is wild stuff! They released some bottles while they were waiting for the final year to come - and that young stuff was just outrageous.

nvilletele likes this.
  6. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Oops. Never mind.

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I think what I like about these kind of consumptive hobbies (people into wines, cigars, desserts, beers, etc) is when you find a resource that can explain why you like it. What you are tasting or smelling or what notes are at play. It helps you shop for the next favorite.

I love beer with lots of hops, even though early on I had no idea what hops were or that that was what I was tasting. It took a beer authority to unpack the flavors and explain that that was what I was tasting. Same with whiskey. Had no idea what rye tasted like, but I liked rye whiskey. Now I can mostly detect the level of rye by the taste and enjoy it more.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Many of my youthful winter evenings were spent in the Clachaig Inn's climbers bar in Glencoe.

I never managed to complete the challenge of trying every scotch they had in one trip despite trying!

Was a nice way to warm up before settling down in the field outside.

Been a long time since I've been there. Inspired to visit when I am in Scotland again in January. Hopefully it's not gone all hipster wine bar like.

9. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I'm another Islay fan. Sad I only discovered it late in life! I like Ardbeg, Bowmore, Lagavulin, Caol Ila... but really love good old, dependable Laphroaig, which was the first one I ever tried.

For a change I quite enjoy Glenmorangie Quita Ruban and my wife recently bought me a Hakashu, which was different... I know Japanese are supposed to outstrip the Scottish stuff but this was interesting but not quite in my main pleasure zone.

This pic was on the road to the Talisker distillery. Some good whisky but I was horrified how Diagio have ramped up production and centralised the malting. Skye.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Stubee, BigDaddyLH and bftfender like this.
  10. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Whit? :confused::mad::rolleyes:

Can I interest you in a fine line of Scotch sake? Brewed to an original recipe by my granmaw, Mistsukiku Campbell. It's even better than the Japanese stuff.

11. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

12. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I keep wondering where the scotch is in my butterscotch.

13. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

only got it for the glasses in passing the store. Now i am are headed to learning and really enjoyed the responses. Got the Johnnie which i like BTW, Macallan and now we going $100 range. 12 days of Christmas..i will do 12 days of scotch..found out some of my buds are into scotch. So let SAS begin..i like direct shots..bring it

sds1 likes this.
  14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I've won scotch at work Christmas parties several times. What I really enjoy about scotch (after getting a couple of doses of the creosote flavor) is seeing how happy other people are to get the bottle when I give it to them.

I grew up in a house heated by wood. I know what creosote smells like. I won a good single malt one year, and it tasted like peaty creosote. We have a scottish friend who visits once in a great while. He said that the scotch would've been 40 pounds in London or Scotland and I said "how would you like to take it the rest of your trip". He was ecstatic and immediately sent his buddy a text to tell him what he scored (this is a grown man with a good job).

His happiness was even greater with my disgust at feeling like I was licking the inside of a stovepipe. he said "Peaty...smokey. That is FIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNEEE". I said, no, that's flue residue!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.