1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody enjoy a good Scotch ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Dec 4, 2018.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The Scotch section of my liquor cabinet...

20181204_185859.jpg

bftfender likes this.
  2. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

JW Red is terrible, Black (and up) are good. Good daily blends, not too expensive include Teachers and Famous Grouse. For a single, I like them from Islay, Laphroig and Lagavulen.

Overseas, I quite like Canadian Club.

3. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

I suggest you never drink alcohol without eat something first or if you're not really in the mood and, actually, never drink until get a buzz. If 2 beers trigger a bad symptom to you, drink just one. Or half. Or just drink iced tea with slices of lemon, which is very good. Alcohol is not to be an obligation, but a pleasure, you and only you can determine if it's good for you or not.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What Ray Donovan drinks. ;)

Stubee, DonM, getbent and 1 other person like this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Had my first glass of Scotch. I did a pour and enjoyed the bouquet..slight sting on nose and tongue...but then it settled..5 or so minute sip...enjoyed..i would say looking for a slightly lighter flavor maybe some more vanilla if possible.. must try a single...i just flew back in time to my uncles bar in the early 70's..the business men would come over and sip whiskey's and talk horse racing and stocks

getbent likes this.
  6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Had an office in the UK for a few years. Whenever I flew back I would hit the duty free store at Gatwick and grab a bottle of either Glenlivet & Glenfiddich for special clients. When my wife and I go out for a nice dinner I usually like a Dewers and water.

bftfender and getbent like this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've always enjoyed an occasional smooch of Chivas Regal, but after reading this and other threads on the topic, I see that my ways may be in error, the whole blended thing you know. I don't drink much, but when I do. . . .

I might consult with the ol' state liquor store, after I digest some of the information in this here thread. Sometimes a man gets thirsty.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    bftfender and getbent like this.
  8. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I enjoy ALL Scotches, good or bad!

Learned to love them when I became a bar manager at 24 ... drank everything my customers drank so I knew what and why they ordered ... discovered I hated Canadians, Americans were OK, but Scotches and Irish whiskeys ... 'cuz even the cheap ****e was imported ....

Mama hates when I drink 'em 'cuz I gets all slurrrrry, but we have a group that holds a Burns' night every January, celebrating the Scottish poet Robert Burns, and we eat haggis, nips and tatties, and drink a S#!T ton of Scotch ... all the while spoutin' a bit of his writings ... she's learning ...

Actually, she's a GoT fan, and we went to a samplin' of the new Johnny Walker "White Walker" Scotch, and ... she liked it ... there's hope!

Peace.

9. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

A buddy and myself have a little pick n grin on a Monday afternoon for a couple of hours then a quick glance at my watch showing its 3.pm or there-abouts and I'll say "Its time." Out comes the bottle depending on who's turn it is to supply. Usually I produce a bottle of George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey or Makers Mark 46. When its my mates turn he will produce a bottle of Woodfords Reserve or sometimes he'll bring a bottle from the Isle Of Islay. We have a double measure each and that can last us up to an hour but its the best hour of the day guaranteed.. S

Stubee, bftfender and mojosman like this.
  10. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

Laphroaig 10 for a medicinal peated scotch.

Glenfarclas 12 for a flavorful sherry-cask-aged scotch.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    nvilletele, Stubee and bftfender like this.
  11. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

When I was younger, I was quite intimate with whiskies and would often sit in a highland hotel bar and work my way across the shelf of single malts. I could identify quite a lot of them blind tasting at that time. Now, i can just about tell the difference between a Speyside and a typical Islay or island malt. When I say typical, I mean peated. Bunnahabain, from Islay, is not peated and I prefer it that way. I've had it 'neat' at the distillery - full strength which is about 110 degrees of proof. It is watered down for sale. At that time 'dramming' was still common with the distillery workers. They were allowed a dram of the neat stuff each day but they were also drinking the 'wort' which is the liquid before it is distilled. That practice has now stopped because it caused serious health problems. My whisk(e)y of choice is Black Bush from Northern Ireland. It is blended, but only from triple distilled whiskies from different years of the same distillery so it is not single pot (batch). Blended Scotch whiskies can have up to 30 different malts mixed with a 'filler' which is cheap grain spirit to keep the cost down. Some of the cheap 'own brand' whiskies have hardly any quality malts in them at all. There are quite a few distilleries in Scotland that don't produce a branded single malt but just supply whisky for blends. There is trend now for the big name distilleries to produce a range of malts matured in different casks - sherry, maderia, bourbon. Glenmorangie have such a range and can provide a complete spectrum of tastes.

Stubee and bftfender like this.
  12. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Good beer and a nice Romeo y Julieta and I'm good.

13. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Love Scotch. There's a store called Vom Fass that has great Scotches from different parts of the world. The Spanish one is killer.

bftfender likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You can't hold the Atlantic ocean, uh, then again I don't know you. If you're talking about all the whiskey he drinks, if you two go out drinking there may not be any booze left in New York! :eek::D How's he gonna get outta that police car?

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to like White Horse, but that was a very, very, long time ago.

16. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

Oban tastes like vanilla

bftfender likes this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

as it should be.

rebelwoclue likes this.
  18. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

JW Black is not bad at all and actually a great sipping whisky. I got a bottle as a gift a few years ago and bought a couple more. Smooth.

I like single malts and got a bottle of Balvenie Triple Wood now, but a friend had some Lagavulin 16 year at hunt camp a couple weeks ago. Now the regular old Lagavulin takes some getting used to when ya start drinking whisky, but they had to about tear me away from that 16 year stuff. Oh boy!...

Slowpoke and bftfender like this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Therefore ... logically .. the conclusion is buy an older version of a a scotch you like!

20. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm an Irish whiskey guy; Redbreast and Jameson.

Colors likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.