1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody enjoy a good Scotch ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Dec 4, 2018.

1. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

IMG_0621.JPG

As a younger man my uncles drank the common blended Scotches one sees in the US, I never cared for them. Then one day I helped a lady move, and the previous owners left her all of their booze. She wasn’t much of a drinker, and offered me anything I wanted. I took a bottle of 20 year old Balvanie. It was unlike any scotch I had ever tried. Unless you’ve tried the really good stuff, you haven’t had Scotch. I can’t afford the really high end stuff, but the Balvanie Double Wood is affordable for a special treat every now and then; maybe once a year.

I wish I was more educated about the various regional styles of Scotches. A buddy of mine did a distillery tour of Scotland. He had a blast, and saw and learned a bunch. Maybe one day. I mostly drink Tennessee whiskey and/or Bourbon.

2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Not me-I still have 2 bottles that I bought in Scotland in 2000 - that cost $100/each at the time. I thought I'd have some for the bar but nobody around me is a scotch drinker. All bourbon 'round here.

3. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

is this like guitars ? start with 1 and um..um..all the sudden bottles are everywhere? i am not a big drinker but the allure of the bottles and stories and the dif tastes..think the bandroom is now getting a mini bar stocked with Scotch & cigars..

4. Johnkir64

Johnkir64 TDPRI Member

Laphroaig.....Burning hospital never tasted so good!

FerruleCat likes this.
  5. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

If I understand it correctly, a big distinction is that bourbon involves corn & scotch does not. I believe there's also a requirement about the composition of the storage / aging barrels. Though I've drunk my share, I don't much care for bourbon. There's a sort of sticky, shellacy aftertaste that I dislike. That's probably the corn at work.

I like Glenlivet & Glenfiddich. A friend recommends Glenmorangie, of which I've never had the pleasure, but he has become a truly awful snob over the last few years.

If you don't mind blends —I don't— try The Famous Grouse. I'm just fine with Johnnie Black. I have six saddles & a belly cut on my Tele, too.

6. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Agree. But I think one doesn't really need to spend a fortune to have the good stuff.

Also, in my opinion, an older scotch is not necessarily a better one. An 8yo version of a scotch you like is better that a 21yo version of one you don't. An older version of a "bad" scotch is just more expensive...

JuneauMike likes this.
  7. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Scotch is malt barley
    Bourbon is primarily corn but can include barley, wheat, rye

Bourbon is aged in virgin barrels
    Scotch is aged in a lot, macallan likes using sherry barrels

I got a bottle of talisker storm for 29 bucks, definitely worth that price! Not sure on the 99 list.

My current stash:
    image.jpeg

Jerry J, Finck and bftfender like this.
  8. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

In my younger days I claimed I loved Laphroaig, but then I realized I was lying to myself. I now prefer Talisker for my peaty urges. Macallan and Cragganmore are favs, but I find Johnnie Walker Black is similar enough and much cheaper.

Bassman8 and bftfender like this.
  9. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

Highland Park 12 is my go to everyday scotch. Pretty good stuff. The best that I've tried is Glenmorangie Signatory. Fantastic scotch. Expensive though.

I bought a bunch of bottles of Port Ellen scotch about 15 years ago in NYC. I think I paid around $150 each, but I see they are going for around $800 now. They are just sitting here, waiting for the day I have someone to drink them with.

bftfender likes this.
  10. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

I've got to disagree, there are some great Scotch blends out there and single malt Irish is missing the point of Irish whiskey. If you are going to drink an Irish spirit, single pot still is the only way to fly, Redbreast, Green/Yellow Spot, etc.

Though, to be fair, I'm being a hypocrite since I have a bottle of Dunville PX in my liquor cabinet right now that I've really enjoyed and a bottle of Black Bush... both of which are non single pot still Irish whiskeys.

11. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I typically buy Glenrothes but really enjoy Dalwhinie when I pick it up at the duty free.

12. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

If you want a great, inexpensive bottle of Scotch, find a bottle of Grand Old Parr. Similar price point to Monkey Shoulder and even better.

13. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Oh, let's see...

Lagavulin 18
    Laphroaig 2018 Friends blend
    Ardbeg (can't remember the age)
    Balvenie Double Wood 14
    Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14
    Glenmorangie 10
    Glenmornagie Quinta Ruban 12
    Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
    Tullamore DEW Single Malt 14 (Which is amazing!)
    Redbreast Cask Strength 12
    Tyrconnell 8

What was the question again?

nvilletele and bftfender like this.
  14. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Highland park 12 is good but I made the mistake of buying a bottle that had a small bottle of 18 with it...wow!

15. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

When faced as a hobby, scotch (or bourbon, or whiskey...) is as addictive as guitars. And the discussions about "what's the best" is usually as full of passion as those related to tone woods and so...

Hate to be the boring dude, but I just have to remember that spirits require much responsibility than guitars...

nvilletele and bftfender like this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The problem I encounter lately is that even a small amount of alcohol, barely enough to create a buzz, triggers hangover symptoms. I can have two Guinness drafts, and even after drinking a bunch of water I can still detect that afterward feeling that I hate even in small amounts.

bender66 and Uncle Daddy like this.
  17. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Both are great. I got that bonus bottle once too, I hear you!!

18. SlappyDuck

SlappyDuck Tele-Meister

From the OP's description I would recommend Highland Park and Macallan, but it's worth trying any of them as they vary quite a lot and a lot is down to personal taste. I wouldn't rule out the reasonably priced blends either - Grouse, Johnnie Walker, White Horse all taste pretty good to me too.

19. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

I admittedly have little knowledge of Irish Whiskey, all I know is the Bushmill single malt whiskeys are straight nectar!! :cool:

And Jameson is gross. :)

20. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.