Anybody else think modern tuners are ugly?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by brandonwhite, Apr 20, 2016.

1. brandonwhite

brandonwhite Tele-Meister

I thought this might be trivial and off-topic enough to post in Bad Dog Café.
    Anyway, I just don't like the look of the "Grover" style modern tuners (they remind me of Buzz Lightyear or something).
    So much so, that I will usually pass up a quality guitar because it has them.
    Alas, I'm just as much a sucker for visual aesthetics as I am for sonic aesthetics.
    Agrees? Disagrees? Go.

61fury likes this.
  2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Interesting topic...
    I like the classic look of Grover Imperials, but they look terribly out of place on most flat tops and don't fit a lot of times.

brandonwhite likes this.
  3. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm mostly disturbed by the whole "open back" tuner trend on acoustics. I sort of get the retro-look thing, but functionally I can't think of a good reason why anyone would choose open over a good sealed design.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Funny, I have them on my Gretsch, and I loathe them.
    Big, clumsy buttons, heavy.
    I've been threatening to "lose" them for years!
    Gonna do it, soon!

5. 4 Cat Slim

After debating the matter for weeks, I purchased a set of Grover Imperials for my Epi Joe Pass model, only to find that they wouldn't fit the headstock, too big, not enough space.

And cabra, about the only reason I can think of is lighter weight. A set of Grovers (or similar closed-back tuners) will make a neck-diver out of some guitars.

I upgraded to closed-back tuners on a Takamine 12-string and it's like trying to control a
    very spirited dog on a leash. The headstock seems magnetically attracted to the floor.

6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

For me it really depends on the guitar. I like vintage tuners on my Teles, perloid tuners on my Gibsons and Epis, but I have Sperzel or Gotoh lockers on just about everything else with the more modern tuning keys and they look right.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Sadly, I no longer own it, but I had a 1965 Martin D-18 that had those big old mouse eared looking Grover tuners on it for 44 years. It was hands down the best acoustic guitar I ever owned, or will own, I did not understand how much that was so, and traded it straight across for a brand new HD-28 I loved at first but eventually got rid of. The point of this is, the sealed tuners became problematic I suppose because of the lubricant becoming hard from age and they became very difficult to tune the guitar with. I much prefer open back tuners in because a tiny drop of turbine oil makes them right as rain should the become difficult to move.

4 Cat Slim likes this.
  8. 4 Cat Slim

Brandon, this is a little off-topic, but I've always disliked how many student-grade classical guitars are
    equipped with really cheesy-looking tuners, especially their tuning buttons.

Another reason I'm glad I play a Tele...

brandonwhite likes this.
  9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I prefer the look of Schaller mini gears, but I'm OK with most gears as long as they tune smoothly without any slippage in either direction, and are easy to string. For those two reasons, I don't like Kluson style gears, because there's always one in the set that slips a little, and with that slotted top, it's difficult to string the high E & B.

10. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I still like Fender "F" tuners, and big headstocks, but that's just me.... ;)

[​IMG]

61fury and brandonwhite like this.
  11. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

12. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Waverly tuners on the headstocks of my acoustic guitars...if I have a choice.

They look old...they are opened-backed...but they work oh-so-smoothly.

Another good choice is the Grover Sta-Tite...at about 1/4 the price...but they have a few rough edges.

On Telecaster-type guitars, I much prefer Kluson-type with the "safety" feature. Alparts makes a staggered-height version that seems to be very nice. (You still need a string tree though.)

13. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

I love my modern Hipshot tuners. Light, smooth and stable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

61fury likes this.
  14. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    FWIW - i have a 12-string dreadnaught w/14 frets to the body that has 12 (count 'em TWELVE) FULL SIZE Grover Roto-Matics.

Wow!

Talk about a heavy-headed guitar!

Plus, the thing is so long that I tend to run into things with it...

;)

4 Cat Slim likes this.
  15. brandonwhite

brandonwhite Tele-Meister

I love the look of the old open-back tuners (especially the 3-in-line Kluson type on an acoustic), but I've often wondered if they are more vulnerable to damage this way. They are probably easier to lubricate, as Toto'sDad has mentioned, although I've never really had to lubricate a tuner before.

16. 4 Cat Slim

Buckocaster51, I've always wondered about that when I see an old Guild 12-string equipped with a dozen Roto-Matics.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Grover "kidney bean" tuners the most, but I fail to see how they are modern.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.