Anybody else pragmatic about gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nosuch, Jul 6, 2020.

1. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

My analogy is.

that if you had a Dumble amp and a 59 Les Paul .
    .. . Clapton would bring a $99 Squier Strat with a 30 year old Crate practice amp to your house ...

And he would sound better..

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Better is debatable, but he would still sound like him and I would still sound like me.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

So far as amps and effects go, I like to go for a tone I enjoy, that I find inspiring. I do get that with my current, mostly low-end, setup. Of course, that doesn't keep me from dreaming about expensive gear like a Matchless Chieftain or an Origin Effects SlideRig.

As for guitars, I love to tinker with them so that drives a lot of my buying decisions.

PhredE likes this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

But you would sound like you playing a 59 Les Paul through a Dumble! How cool would that be? :D

Deathray and PhredE like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have two fairly nice guitars - a Baja and a signature Strat. I have a Mustang III. I get the tones I need - or in the right ballpark - and that is good enough. I can go loud, I can play quietly. It meets my needs. While I look at other gear, I don't suffer GAS. Pragmatic.

ricardo1912 likes this.
  6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've played enough vintage gear to say that if I had to cross the road to do it, I wouldn't bother.

PhredE and Jakedog like this.
  7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Most of my gear never leaves the house/studio.

For gigs I have to keep it simple or I just get confused. If you can control a 12-pedal board, good luck. I'm mainly concentrating on whether it's the chorus or the verse next.

Also, the more gear you have onstage, the sillier you look when you mess up. And I mess up a lot, so a balance that with minimal gear.

nosuch and beagle like this.
  8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

These days I can either remember the lyrics, or the chords, but rarely do the twain meet any more... :p

hemingway likes this.
  9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yeah. But I also don't gig much. And when I do it's either on bass or acoustic guitar. I need only minimal tools for either. Guitar nowadays is just for noodling and occasional songwriting and recording. I love amps. But just having them for the sake of having them gets old quick. If I don't use it, I'm apt to get rid of it. But I'm like that about a lot of things now. I have 2.5 amps (one needs work, which I will do when I get around to it). I don't see myself keeping three amps for much longer. If I build something, it will be 1 in 1 out, or 1 in 2 out. But no hurry on that. I got kids starting college. And I just bought a new mountain bike....

PhredE likes this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. The more I played out the less I worried about tone nuance.

And the more I worried about practical things like load in and load out. Most green rooms do to store a bunch of gear anyway.

40w master volume amp. Either Hot Rod Deluxe or Marshall Origin. Light (for what they deliver) and compact. One guitar. 4 pedals.

Then I watch guys haul in huge stacks or boutique this and that - and it all sounds mostly the same. Either clean or overdriven.

I did the cover band thing. Nuance is lost there too.

But it’s ok I guess. People can delude themselves. Just get yer **** outta my way and get the flock into and off of stage quicker!

11. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I love that confidence!

12. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I guess I'm a little bit of both? I have one very pragmatic amp - its a Visual Sound Workhorse Stallion, super clean 60 watt all tube pedal platform, it even has a 9v out for powering a pedal board, but I also have a couple other smaller amps that I love and like to pull out when I think they'll do well. I buy too many pedals, but having a pedal genie membership tamed that for me a little.

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Not that I don't love gear, but my 'past sins' ( blowing $$ on eye candy, without really listening...) have kind of made some rules for me to stick to.

* I never had the money to get anything expensive to begin with- most of my instruments are 'vintage-style' but budget/import- except my Martin!)

- $100 max ( less!) on any pedal

- $500 limit on a guitar or amp ( all my amps are small too)

- don't buy anything you won't ( frequently) gig with!

- don't buy a duplicate one style guitar ( unless it's an awesome deal!) before getting the guitar types you don't own yet. ( i.e. 'Don't by a 2nd Strat or Tele, before getting that SG you want!')

- take care of household expenses, bills before buying ANYTHING but strings!

Just my guidelines to keep me in check

Edit- one more, nothing on credit!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Deathray and Gaz_ like this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

We are all on our own unique creative musical adventure, so one person's pragmatism is another person's excess.

LeonHr and Deathray like this.
  15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

At my house, no blues or rock played here...:D

Tall-Fir likes this.
  16. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I know there are a million other genres, but I can't help but think you're somehow playing garage or jungle on a telecaster.

17. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I am pragmatic. I have two guitars, one is a backup. (I have a 3rd one for sale). I have two acoustics so I can keep one at my office or travel with it. I have one bass. I have a bass rig, a guitar rig, a practice bass rig and a practice guitar rig. And a drum kit. I play in a band. My gear is covered. I doubt I will ever buy another piece of gear, but if I do, I am selling something that it will replace.

black_doug likes this.
  18. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I'm getting to the point where gear matters a LOT less than it used to. And believe me, I've been down the rabbit hole. I've simplified my rig and it still sounds 80-90% like pretty much any rig I've owned. Part of that is just the "me" coming through in my playing, and I think part of it is that I've always gravitated toward two or three core tones no matter what gear I was using. And as for that 80-90% I mentioned, I think that's the whole point with gear for a lot of people. They chase that last elusive 10% hoping to find that holy grail, all-inspiring tone that will make them want to play more. To each their own, I suppose, but I think I've advanced more as a musician as the balance has shifted slightly away from the gear and more toward learning new things. I still have "nice" stuff but I've gotten away from all the boutique builders (except for one guitar). I've become comfortable just using what I have.

I still see guitars that I want (see, I'm not a COMPLETELY lost cause), but I want them more for very different sounds and different textures compared to what I already have (for example, I'd like a baritone and a lap steel).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  19. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Holic

I took this time to sell two telecasters and 1 Les Paul to buy my perfect Tele and perfect LP. Downsizing in a way. I also sold quite a few pedals. Honing the tools for the job.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Somewhere along the line, the idea came about that you NEEDED to be able to get all these various bases covered, that it was the only way. Especially if you’re gigging. You need singles, and buckers, and P90’s, and a hollow body, and a trem, and a bigsby, and an EL84 amp and a 6L6 amp, and a 6V6 amp, and a bedroom amp, and a grab and go for jams, and... you get the idea.

I’m not judging. I got caught up in too, and sometimes still do.

Then I think about all the guys I knew growing up who were significantly older than I was and had been gigging a long time. Back in those days (I started gigging in 87) most of the live gig veterans I knew in my area didn’t have a lot of gear. The guys who were really wild with it sometimes had 5-6 guitars and three amps. Most guys had two electrics and one amp. Some heavy gigging guys only had one of each.

I remember watching one guy in particular. His entire rig was a black guard Tele, a Rat pedal, and a solid state Lab Series amp with a single 15 in it. That was it. He played barefoot so he could tweak the knobs on the rat with his toes. He played in the house band at one of the local country dance clubs. He ripped. He also played in a wedding/all occasion band. He also played in rock cover band that covered everything from SRV to Bob Marley to the Ventures, to Trapeze, to the Police to Metallica to everything else. Just with that rig. Nothing else. He always sounded fantastic. Whether he was in a tiny corner pub, the holiday inn, or outdoors at the big annual fiesta on the river.

Ive never been able to get good enough to pare it down that far. But I’d sure like to. The older I get, the more I hate keeping up with and curating a lot of gear. For three and a half years now I’ve gigged with a single amp. For every gig big or small, indoors or out, all styles of music I’ve been hired for. It’s been really nice. I’m getting to the point where I might try a couple others just for fun. I’ve never gone this long on one amp. But if I don’t find something I like significantly better, I’ll be playing it a lot longer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.