anybody else NOT like the twin reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joeford, Aug 5, 2013.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps because those of us that DO PLAY LEADS and bend, with an OD pedal for some tones, maybe we want the ability to maintain the same level with NO OD pedal... Of course this is all opinion based but if we are using an amp that defines a nice natural tone at a level with some drive...what do we do if we want the same level with NO drive ? This has been the discussed case all along...

Back to the op..sure he many not like the amp as is, but it may not be the amp AS IS...many have chimed in with bias, proper tubes and proper speaker selection make a huge difference in final tone....My 71 Twin when I first dragged it home, I didn't like it all but I knew it wasn't the "amp" per sey, selected power tubes, bias and a change of speakers made all the difference, night and day...

2. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

If you know what a Twin sounds like and like the sound and you buy one for a low price that doesn't sound right it's reasonable to fix it. If you buy a Twin because everybody says it's a great amp and you don't like it, you have no idea if you have a good one and just don't like Twins or if you have a bad one. Makes no sense to throw a bunch of money into it in the hopes of liking it. I am amazed at the number of peoplewho will buy a famous or popular guitar or amp because it's cool and then try to make it something it's not. Of course now the makers will do that for you (HH Tele anyone?)

3. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Exactly. Glad it works for you.

A tweed Twin, now we're talking. I've been eyeing the 57' Twin. I think I rather have the Fender over the clones such as Victoria, Marsh, etc..

4. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

While we're on the subject of Twins, it would be nice if Fender offered a Twin Reverb RI head, given that the number one complaint is the weight. Makes more sense to me than the Deluxe head.

5. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

That would be nice.... People have been complaining about the weight for years. I don't think Fender listens much to their customers..... :rolleyes:

6. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

You could hunt around for a Dual Showman Reverb head. A silverface Twin Reverb in a head cab. I have one. Of course it's installed in a Twin Reverb cab right now. The weight wasn't really a big issue for me and I didn't feel like carrying a cab and a head. :)

7. sbolt

sbolt Tele-Meister

Exactly, from low to high with no breakup...great for pedal steel. Or country pickers.....but I can argue against that too. Are Brad Paisley or Matt Rae using Twins?

If you look at the OP, he said he was "underwhelmed". Twins are completely clean all the way up to Tinnitus levels. I get the feeling the OP wants to dial his amp up to at least 4 or 5 where things are starting to get a better feel (bounciness, etc).

I have been trying to demonstrate to my local musician friends that getting the highest wattage amp (the Twin being very well known) does not equal tone nirvana for what they want to do. So they try to cure that with Tube Screamers, etc with the amp volume on 1.5 to crowd of 50 to 75 in a small club. I can promise you, there are better options.

8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just played my 1972 Twin Reverb tonight at a fairly low volume and it sounded great and my back does not hurt from moving it. Glad that I own a Twin.

9. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

a little update for you guys:
    i took the twin to my tech, a guy who knows what hes doing and has worked on my bassman for years. he's definitely a trustworthy guy. i should have the twin back this weekend... and i'll give you a second vote on it. one thing for certain, though, is that i won't be doing any mods to the circuitry. i know a ton of people love this amp as is... and i wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good example of one...

i didn't even think of that. i'll try that out when i get the twin back. like i said earlier, i tried a speaker swap with the jensens... and it helped the tone out a lot, but it still wasn't quite what i was expecting...

those are actually the speakers i tried out. i hated them with my bassman... but they seemed better suited for the twin. with the jensens in, however, there was even less low end from the twin. the sound was better... but a little too trebly for my tastes. the bass knob on 10 with the twin sounds like the bass knob on 2 on the bassman. the midrange is crisper and the treble is smoother... but the bass suffered a little with the jensens...

the number of players that like something is hardly justification of a product's greatness. the words "les paul" come to mind :p. i jumped on the chance for the twin, however, because so many like-minded musicians worship this amp... so i thought there must be something to it. as good as wally might be able to setup my amp... i'll take my luck with the local guy. i think the cost of shipping that monster would double the cost of the tune up!

this is a pretty good grasp of what i'm looking for in an amp. i like the way an amp sounds when it's moderately pushed... a clean tone with just a tiny bit of "fatness" to the notes. not a distortion or an overdrive... but just an added "sparkle" or "fullness". i wish there were better adjectives for sound. i love my bassman because that sparkle starts at around 3-4 on the knob and stays with me until close to 8 (at which point its a little too distorted for my playing style). i have a tubescreamer for those cases when i have to play so quiet that the bassman is choking (1-2 on the volume)... but i don't like having it as the flavor for my clean channel.

and like i said earlier, the sparkle never really came with the twin. it sounded like the choked bassman all the way to maybe 8-9 on the dial. i could see where the thoughts of a cold bias come from... and i'll have him set it up a hair hotter than stock just to be sure

10. Petimar

Petimar Tele-Meister

I bet it's the Legends as much as anything. I had a Vibroverb clone wher I put in a 15" Legend and it was very sterile. As soon as I changed it out, it warmed up nicely.

11. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I discovered this many years ago when I "cranked" my first tube amp in my mom's basement. I would think "all" guitar players would have too?

Yes, "fatness", "fullness", "sustain", natural compression from tubes being pushed is all good in my book. Amount of gain is subjective though. I prefer the sound of a "pushed" Fender over a Marshall. So in theory I don't like too much crunch.

Most amps, I don't think a TR is any different, start to do this at around 5-7 on the dial. How loud is TR with the volume past 5? I don't know but I would bet at 85 watts it's pretty darn loud.

Todays technology with pedals get us close, but not exactly, to that sound.

Apparently some players don't give a hoot about this while others like myself absolutely require it.

The few times in my life where I plugged into a powerful clean amp - I'm was reminded of players who are very different than me. What the OP described above is not that important to those who like powerful, clean headroom and that's cool.

Different strokes..

12. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

3db in volume increase is the first perceivable difference the average human ear can hear. It takes twice the power just to gain 3db in volume.
    So on paper a Twin Reverb can only be 5 or 6 db louder than a Deluxe Reverb, and only 3db louder than a Pro Reverb or Super Reverb, and that's just barely noticeable to most.
    A Twin really isn't that much louder, it's just has more useable clean volume. When I put my SPL meter on a few of my amps, the '66 Super is actually 2-3db louder than my '67 Twin. It's a different tone but the 40 watt Super puts out more volume.

13. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

I would be careful putting Jensen's in a TR. Most that I've come across are rated in the 25-50watt range. I wouldn't be real comfortable with anything much under 75watts (x 2 speakers = 150 watts) in mine.

Also, one mod you might consider is installing a pentode/triode switch. In the triode setting it's more like 60watts. Still plenty loud and clean but doesn't knock your head off quite as easily.

14. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

That's the part I think some like and some dislike and the reason why Leo made em all in different sizes:)

15. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

And it's a good thing he did...otherwise we would be having a "nobody needs more than 5 watts" thread where the 15 watt club would be odd man out !

Another thing to ponder..

In the early advertising and catalogs.....Fender never advertised output wattage. Neither did Ampeg etc...

My first new amp as a teen was an Ampeg ET-2...I learned the hard way that it was a dual 15 or 20 watt amp, it did not have enough power to handle gigs once we started playing larger rooms alongside Fender Bassmans and Bandmasters when we decided it was time to turn up and play Stones and Beatles...my next amp was a used Super Reverb...wouldn't mind having that back !

16. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

The gear list in my signature shows I'm all over the place and not that biased towards any one type of amp. Different applications/moods determine..

IMO, the Gemini II I just recently picked up is really cool and I'm loving it. My first 15" amp. It was orginally advertised as a "clean machine" by Ampeg. Oh it can be clean but it is always FAT!

17. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I love the TR because it stays clean almost all the way up... I don't like tube overdrive for live playing, I prefer pedal distortion for versatility, and a Twin offers that. I pair it with a Super (Reverb) and it works fabulously with my pedalboard and guitars. I like my amps completely clean - no breakup, and using pedals for flavors.

Only negative is the weight, but I'm willing to put up with it for it's great tone and clean volume.

18. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

Ths is what makes me wonder how healthy it could have been, because I don't know many people who can stand being in the same room with a healthy Twin Reverb cranked up to 8-9.

Slight change of subject, FWIW, the reason I started playing through a Twin is that I would have times, when using a Vibrolux, that people complained of not being able to hear me, even when I had the thing full up. Perhaps the Vibrolux wasn't healthy (it was on loan). After moving to a Twin (played mostly in half-power mode but still pretty loud and clean) and getting all my dirt from pedals, there was never a time when I couldn't get my solos up over the rest of the band. Often I was playing with it on 3-4 but it sounded fine to me.

19. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Only thing about a Twin I don't like is the weight.

20. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I started a thread months ago contemplating selling my Twin since at the time it was 'too much amp' for my needs.

Just about everybody said to keep it, and I'm so glad I did. I've since got back into a band and started playing out again and love my amp. Throw a Barber Gain Changer and Timmy into the mix and it sounds amazing. I have a Mustang and a Blues Jr I was using for rehearsals, but lately I've been lugging the Twin and using it there too. So much fun to play, especially since our band is loud and I'm able to turn the volume up to around 5/6.

As far as the weight, it's not that heavy...plus my buddies in the band often offer to carry it, works for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.