anybody else NOT like the twin reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joeford, Aug 5, 2013.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

68,69,70 and 71 Twins are about the same, other than having really clean headroom they should sound like other Fender amps BEFORE they break up. Leo didn't design and make a different tone stack for Twins... I suspect speakers and speaker choice .Twins can be notorious from bringing out the worst in speakers , what you may be hearing is the speakers sounding harsh....I stated this above and it may need repeating, I have EMMI Fender Gold Labels in my Twin and it can be a bit harsh and bright as opposed to the original Utahs which were totally opposite. Night and day...Same amp...

2. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

My twin that I restored had RI Jensen C12N's and Personally I thought that amp sounded AMAZING, the clean tone was so warm and complex and the tonestack worked REALLY well, with my tele it was like perfect twang, wish I still had it, but I think after a couple trades I've made some good profit. Oh well, I could always build one. Shoulda measured the cap values in the tonestack to see what they had to have drifted to. :) But C12N's and a nice blackfaced amp (or mostly BF-ed amp) should sound awesome.
    I think the c12n's allow for (in regard to twins) not too heavy but not light just average weight for twins. But they also sound really good. I think building a single channel TR with just the reverb no vibrato or second channel, would be killer. I would probably even venture to do it in a head style chassis and with two 6550's for about 90-100W. That would be COOL!

Anyway, after all that, my conclusion is that C12N's are a solid go-to speaker for twins.

What do you think Tprior?

3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I'm guessing that the amp needs servicing. Who knows how that amp was treated over the years?

There is validity to the point that maybe the Twin isn't for you. It really is tough to put a bit of hair on the sound until it is at ungodly high volume, well serviced or not. At least if you have it sounding at its best, you'll have an easier time selling it if it turns out you don't like it.

Twins do take OD pedals nicely. However, my experience with that was using one so that I could use my Twin for the harder end of classic rock in pubs. Not sure if slight amounts of drive from a pedal will sound how you want it to.

4. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

15-18W isn't quite enough for most of use tele pickers I think. I'd say 30-40 is better, since so many of us play country we need clean. And I'd like to think that in general 30-40W will get us our cleans for when we have no PA and will still be plenty if we play anything outdoors/large venues as those usually need a PA. So IMO most any 2x6l6 fender will get you where you want to be, although I would start with tweed amps then go blackface for the 2x6l6 amps. Then I'd say probably AC30's and such would work well. and then there are thousands of boutique amps to get you anywhere else.

Ok IKE, stop hijacking this thread! Thanks for listening.

5. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Sorry ike, I just massively edited my post.

I had made a 15 watt joke in the context of Twins, and then thought the better of it! :D

6. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

LOL, I was mostly just trying to make sure the OP was understanding this a little bit, don't worry about it. ;-)

Don't get me wrong there are a TON of really good 15-18W amps. The marshall 18W clones are good, AC15's, fender deluxes are around that range, blackface or tweed, or the other colors, one year of the tremoluxes I believe a late tweed tremoluxe had about 18W with two el84's, funny right fender with el84's. :) But yup. I love twins, they are probably better heads with ext cabs though. ;-) Dual showman reverb with a nice big 2x15 that weighs 90 pounds... that defeats the purpose.. LOL try a lightweight 2x12. ;)

7. bscenefilms

bscenefilms TDPRI Member

A decent TS in front of the TR will do the trick for you. I have a TRRI and I LOVE this thing. So versitile! Many times I need a clean rhythm tone that cuts through the live mix. This amp does just that. Then when I need to solo, stomp the TS and I have all the bite I could ask for. Great amp. And... It's meant for clean tone. If you insist and trying to get it to break up you may want to be in the next county from the amp to do that.

8. Boogie

Boogie Tele-Meister

I have one of the least desirable Fender Twins (late '70s 135W ultralinear) and the cleans sound spectacular. My cranium will break up before the amp does, but you know that going in when you buy a Twin, right?

Warm, full, lush and tight, round bass for days. The highs can get a little spiky, but I discovered this thing on my guitar they call a Tone knob! Imagine that! It has a bright switch too.

Fantastic amp. Heavy as all get-out, but wonderful sounding.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

JOE...the OP...I am siding with those who have pointed out that your amp...as described by you...is not a properly performing TR. IF you were closer to me, that amp would sound different.....I would even 'warm' it up beyond the stock configuration...nothing major...just some basic things.

I have to ask.....has the amp been recapped? IF it has, then I have to ask what is the biasing...current draw and plate dissipation? (IF your tech can't explain this to you, then you need a new tech.)
    IF the plate dissipation is in the 'warm' range---50-70%, then I would ask what tubes are in the amp. Ime, some Chinese 12AX7's will take all of the sparkle and life out of what could be a good sounding amp.
    And...that amp can be made to yield that 'break up' thing you are wanting. YOu just need a tech who knows how to get it done.

10. Ravines

Ravines TDPRI Member

I had an old Twin Reverb like yours for years trying to get 'that' sound. After numerous pedals, new valves, rewiring and different speakers I finally realised my playing style suited Marshall/Vox amps better...

Twins are great amps however remember the valves, speakers and circuit may be tired. I've played some amazing old Fenders Silverface & black - however if you don't connect with the amp move on!

11. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Im with Wally and the rest,I bought a 75 or 76 silverface with master volume, not linear in the 90,s that sounded terrible but coming from a pawn shop I dont expect it should sound like new and it is a tube amp, they need alot of love and care . I went through the whole amp myself because I can, to make sure everything was up to spec then a few mods and upgraded the speakers plus a total dismantling and re gluing of the cabinet and reapplying the toilex the cabinet rattled because the amp was dropped I think due to a nice dent and the cabinet after disassembling showed cracks from some type of force, but now it is a solid very good sounding twin.
    Have a good tech troubleshoot it for you and then go from there.
    If you decide other wise you should be able to unload it quickly.
    Good luck.

12. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

there

ya

GO

13. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

Just get a used Roland JC - 120.

14. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

To each their own

Everyone has a taste for something, as my southern uncle used to say. Speaking for myself, I have tried Twins a few times since I first played through one in the early 70s. One thing I can say with absolute certainty: they are not for me.

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Teh last TR I bought and sold left her ein the hands of a touring pro who knew what he was hearing....a big rich amp that did saprkling cleans as well as hot tweedy/Marshall OD....two totally different channels that added versatility to the mix. I used the OEM low efficiency Oxfords..reconed them even for the purpose. You could crank that big amp without blowing down the walls...and it cooked. HE had played through more than 20 TR's in 3 states looking for one that woudl do somethign for him.

AS for the Roland JC-120...I agree. Get one of those. IT will convince a player that a good sounding TR is the way to go if one is looking for big cleans from which to work with pedals. I sold the last JC-120 for $125 as quickly as I could...first person who asked about it... just so it wouldn't be sitting around here. The only way to get a TR to sound as harsh and sterile as a JC-120 is to bias the TR so cold that it is yielding harsh crossover distortion.
    Takes just a few seconds to make or break one of these old FEnders with a bias change. An experienced ear can usually tell in a short time what is going on with a tube amp. What some mgiht dismiss as a bad amp a good ear will recognize as an amp that needs a tune-up. Not all Corvettes run well, either, right...until they are tuned up by someone who knows how to make them run properly.

16. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

For funk a good solid state amp like a jc 120 or smaller/ fast attach and super clean is great. I much prefer my jc 55 or any jc 120 backline for nice crisp cleans with great attach in your face clean then any twin reverb I have come in contact with. I recently sold my 74 twin. Maybe roland sound harsh to some people because they have weak pickups in there. I never heard of jazz players that use jc 120's sound harsh or cold and they usually have warm pickups.

17. sbolt

sbolt Tele-Meister

I can't understand them either. Great for Pedal Steel maybe but...

I LOVE my Bassman Head.

18. sbolt

sbolt Tele-Meister

Get tha Bassman

19. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Odd.." I can't understand them either" ...the TR had been in production from late 63 thru the early 80's, a few changes but overall still the same rugged workhorse, then the RI's came out, still the rugged workhorse. My only thought at this time is this..sure it's heavy, it's a very clean amp not to be compared with the lower powered amps that breakup early on the volume knob..we all know this...

but to somehow try to make the case that they are not good sounding amps, after generations of players have been using them for decades, worldwide, is puzzling.

Maybe for Pedal Steel ? that's even more interesting..Pedal Steel players use them because they are so clean and can reproduce frequencies other amps can't ! Across a very wide spectrum. They ( we) use them because they do sound good ! Low end to hi end..the whole deal....

Sure the TR is not for everyone, but not because it doesn't sound good ! :rolleyes:

So here we have the OP stating he has one ( ONE) and he doesn't like the sound..ok, I get that, we get that..."ONE" out of I dunno , multiple thousands made ?

To the OP once again, and to others.it may be that the amp is not functioning properly or those "LEGEND "speakers are not right for the amp...So what that a tech looked at it....bring it to Wally !

20. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Most of the times I've seen guys using TR's they were really good Blues or Country players, very talented IMO. Or, they were laid back in the mix Funk guys doing "only" what the song called for. I never saw a "Rock player" using one. I'm sure there is some but that's just my personal experience.

My point is they are very unforgiving amps due to their lack of natural OD and compression/sag. Not just tone but feel too. Ymmv though.

Personally I like tweeds and non master amps that you can push a little as you turn them up without blowing the walls down (my favorite large BF Fender is a Pro Reverb, probably the opposite of a TR) I never found a TR that fit that bill so I knowingly stay away.

TR's do what they do and they do it very well. It's not for everyone and more so if you like the way Marshalls, Vox, Boogies or smaller tweed amps sound/feel.

From a few of the post it seemed some did not understand why the OP does not like the amp? That only goes to show how important personal choice is and what works for you will not always work for somebody else is. For the guys who play leads where they are holding and bending notes a TR will probably never work for them. I'm sure you can find the "right" pedal but why? Just get an amp that has some OD and sustain.

Bottom line: a TR and a BF Bassman with an OCD pedal pushing the front end will not sound the same.

Just my take on it:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.