anybody else NOT like the twin reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joeford, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I would guess there is something wrong with the amp or the speakers. Twin reverbs are the pizza of amplifiers. Everyone loves pizza. ;)

2. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

Some twins sound bad and cold probably because the amp needs to be biased. Fixed bias amps.

3. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

This is where he went horribly wrong. Expecting ANY breakup without going deaf. And even the deafening breakup is probably just the speakers about to blow :p

4. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

+1. To my ears, "sterile" generally is how I'd describe an amp that is biased to low. Most off the shelf amps that I've run across are biased too low.

5. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Stick a good OD pedal in front of it.

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

To me, the Twin is the ideal amp for when you need to play VERY LOUD and VERY CLEAN. So its probably not a great amp for a den or a studio, when their are many other smaller amps that will make a great clean sound, at a much lower volume.... which is all thats needed for den or studio.

the Twin is an amp for a big stage. When you have tech guys or roadies to lift it.

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

THis vintage (71) is one of the most sparkly & rich sound of the entire fender history. No Twin or Super from that era & particular year will lack sparkle, or sound sterile. I don't care who went over it - you need a tech or a friend who knows & loves the fender sound, & detect where is the problem in your case.

Because there IS a problem, don't fool yourself. A 71 Twin or Super will make anyone wet his pants in sparkle, twang, richness & sustain (at volumes).

Go have it fixed / sorted immediately.

8. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard lots of Twins I would have described as sterile sounding, but I would guess it's how they were set up rather than the amp itself. Too many people equate a TR with a hard Country sound and think they have to dime the treble and cut the bass. Yuck!

A Twin isn't my favorite amp, but with some overdrive pedals you can make them do anything. Same as a Super Reverb. I know a lot of people would disagree, but all the BF/SF Fenders sound basically the same up to the break-up point. The Twin just happens to have one of the loudest break-up points out there!

9. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

Why do people assume there is something wrong with the amp. Just because you love the sound of a Twin doesn't mean everyone else will. The OP clearly stated he was looking for breakup and wasn't getting it. Yes, it's probably biased cold if it's not breaking up at all, but rebiasing isn't going to change the fundamental sound of the amp and even if it breaks up at 6-7 it's still going to be too loud for the OP. Ditch the amp or use pedals for breakup.

10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

Right, I get you. I think you have an amplifier that is not meant to do what you're looking for. I have a 1971 Twin Reverb myself. I love it, because it doesn't get any of the hair you're speaking of unless it's turned up waaaaay loud. I like the option of having a totally clean tone at loud volumes, and that's what the Twin Reverb delivers. I typically turn to pedals to get distortion and overdrive.

You might want to look into a Deluxe Reverb. Or you can try a Pro Reverb. I have one of those, too, and it actually breaks up quite easily, by my standards. Best to do some research to see what might suit you best.

11. tape

tape Tele-Meister

[checks "someone complaining that a Twin is too clean" off the list]

Welp, that's it. I've seen it all.

12. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not assuming anything, & I have read what the OP said. Also, I am only trying to help = nothing else. The fact that I like the fender tone has nothing to do with it. I'm not THAT blind.

So, for the last time:

1. A healthy twin reverb, with a humbucker - think 335 - will break in a MARVELOUS way around 5-6 on the dial. THe breakup of the twin is different than the super or tweed amps. it's more of a speakers/tubes breakup , but you do get your cream & endless sustain.

2. The OP mentioned STERILE & lack of SPARKLE, wihch is the antithesis of this amp - & especially this particular vintage. THis 71 Twin is simply the FATHER of twang, sparkle & richness in tone. And the mother too.

3. A twin may be too loud, & too rich, & too direct for some - therefore I prefer a Super. No big deal. It's not a religion war

So; OP: have someone make the amp sound GOOD (as it should be) then decide if you want to keep it or not.

Voila

13. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

that's one of the first things i tried. i swapped in some old jensens in there. it did liven up the sound considerably... but it lost a lot of the low range depth that the eminence had. being a bassman player for years, maybe i expect too much low end... i don't know... but the jensens didn't do it for me either...

i think you hit the nail on the head there. i'm a fan of clean tones (my bassman 100 is a pretty notoriously clean amp itself), but the twin stays clean way past what the bassman does. in that regards, its a pretty impressive amp. i can see how some people would love the twin for the reasons you stated... but i just don't see the universal love it gets when i've heard better sounding amps (to me) in it's volume range...

a deluxe or pro reverb is definitely on my to-do list. something to get a sparkly fender clean at a more reasonable volume for recording. oddly enough, those amps seem to command a lot more money these days than the twin reverb. i've got a couple twins on my local CL in the $800-900 range. the few times i've seen a deluxe, it's been well over $1000

that's why i bought it! i've been hearing that for years and wanted to hear for myself...

alright... i'll have it checked over again. only because once i sell this guy, i doubt i'll have another chance to have one sitting in my house to crank up. i'll report back on that in a bit...

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Play the Twin through your Bassman's speakers.. if the impedance is a match.

At one particularly loud jam I was able to coax some breakup out of a Twin Custom 15. Nice speaker in that.. mids 10, volume 7.

15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you can hear a Twin that is considered properly biased and set up somewhere to compare. I see two main pieces of advice that conflict:

1) the amp pretty much sounds like it sounds and if you don't like it, trade it/sell it for something you like, unless you want to keep it as a collector.

2) the amp can sound "better" if you get it worked on a bit, possibly just a hotter bias/different tubes/different speakers, etc., etc.

I tend to agree with an earlier poster that black face and silver face Fenders generally shoot for a certain clean tone and sound pretty similar, albeit at different volume levels. The "break up" tone from any black face is in my opinion quite different from what you might get from a tweed family Fender, and I personally prefer the slightly hairy tone from a tweed family Fender: less strident/harsh to my ear. So if that's what you really want, you either go with a different amp or use pedals to get there.

I really love the clean tones out of black face amps, but have concluded for myself based on experience that no amount of tweaking a black face amp will create the natural breakup tone that suits me as much as other amps' natural breakup tones. So I would be cautious at throwing money at this amp in what is potentially a futile quest. In fact, if you tweaked it enough to achieve your goal, you might actually be spending a lot of money to decrease its vintage market value by making fairly big changes to the circuit's original design. If you want to keep it, investing about a hundred bucks for the right dirt pedal might give you the best of both worlds: an amazing clean tone, and a killer dirt tone. (RAT!)

16. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe those LEGEND Speakers are not a good fit for the Twin? HistoricallyJensen C-12's ring the bell.... IT's more likely it's the wrong amp for you...being the worlds biggest TWIN REVERB fan I am also understanding that it is NOT the right amp for many players.

reading the way you describe the tone I would visit the speakers rather than the amp. All of the Fender amps have very similar tone stacks, sure a few vary but overall very similar. When I got my 71 two years ago the Utah speakers were the worst...they came out the first day, I now just have a pair of stock Fender Gold Label EMMI's, a bit bright , 180 degrees from the Utah's but manageable...Speakers matter with an amp that's a dominant clean powerfully amp.

But at the end of the day you gotta be happy..and if the TWIN is not it..part the Sea's...go with the Bassman...

17. twangr

twangr TDPRI Member

I have 2 Twins. One is a silverface with the master volume and the other is a red knob "The Twin".

If it was mine I would change those Legend speakers and get Jensens or WGS G12c and/or G12cs. Give them some break-in time. Another trick you may want to try is to hook the channels together like a Marshall plexi.. I don't have to do this on my red knob because that trick is already designed into the circuitry.

Another trick is to use the Sovtek 6L6GC WXT+ tubes. These tubes seem closest to older 6L6 tubes to my ears and can handle the power. I like JJs for the preamp tubes, YMMV. Of course, make sure the bias is set properly. I tend to set it a little warm. Great cleans and all the hair I need while controlling volume and tone from my guitar.

18. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

Unless the OP knows that he likes twins and it's just the one he bought he doesn't like it makes no sense to throw money at the amp. Odds are he'll still wind up with an amp he doesn't like. A lot of folks, including me, buy stuff because we read about it or someone says it's a great amp or guitar and find out it's not what we're looking for. In general, unless you really know what you're looking for with a mod or tweaking gear it makes a lot more sense to buy stuff you like right out of the box. There are so many options thee days there's no reason not to have gear you like and no reason to have to mod significantly, unless of course that's what you like to do.

19. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As has been said-stick a good overdrive in front of it. That twin should sound way better with a decent overdrive pedal than any solid state amp.

20. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

I think most of these guys are just slightly scratching the surface of what's wrong here. It seems most are telling you that maybe its not for you, but it should at least be warm clean sparkly cleans, if it really is completely sterile until its dimed, there is something wrong. MOST likely a tube, but you can check on other small maintenance. (edit over, original post continued below)

Your twin most likely, probably, most definitely, has something wrong with it. I had an ultralinear twin that I blackfaced the preamp on, and it sounded *amazing*, your twin is a '71 so it shouldn't be very far past the BF circuit. Get it blackfaced and check your tubes, also check your reverb tank, make sure the springs are all arranged and connected right, on my ultralinear twin, most of the springs just came out. BUT check the tubes and everything before you blackface it (assuming you will) It should still sound really good long before it is modded away from the original circuit.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.