anybody else NOT like the twin reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joeford, Aug 5, 2013.

1. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after a few days of mandatory overtime at the hospital, i ended up with enough extra on my paycheck to get a twin reverb. i ended up getting this guy... a 1971 twin. i paid $300 and a 1972 champ. all in all, got it for about $600 out of pocket. i can't believe how cheap these amps go for these days. 10-15 years ago, it seemed like they went for $1200 all day long.

these are supposed to be the holy grails of fender cleans... and i've wanted one for years. now that i have it... i'm pretty thoroughly underwhelmed! i get the appeal of the vibrato and the reverb... they sound spectacular. but the tone of the amp itself is so sterile to me. i can push this puppy to 8 without a hint of breakup. there's almost no sustain... no warmth... just cold, sterile cleans. i've heard solid state amps with more warmth. there's a hint of sparkle in the 9-10 range on the volume... but i don't want to play that loud! my bassman 100 has a lot more going on, in my opinion... the breakup is at a more reasonable volume, the lows are more pronounced, and the highs are less ice-picky. other than the effects themselves, i see no appeal in this amp whatsoever.

am i alone in this blasphemy? anybody else think the twin is kinda overrated? and i'm not whining about the weight of it... everybody knows they're heavy, that's part of the package

2. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I grew up in a different time line. When I was first playing professionally it was the beginning of the "black face" rage. So I have never used a silverface Twin. But I have yet to hear a twin that I wouldn't have liked to own.
    I am sure that you will get some very easy and effective answers from the guys here.

BTW, I think that is a pretty sweet lookin' amp.

3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

funny you should mention the black faces... i've got a guy who wants to trade me this amp for another pretty classic design, a '67 bassman. it's probably not a fair trade since the twins go for a bit more than the bassmans... but for what i have invested in it, i think it's worth a shot...

and yeah, i think this twin is a real good looking amp. the seller was a bit embarrassed that he used the wrong grill cloth when he redid it... but i think the oxblood looks great

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Am I allowed to factor it's weight into my answer? If I could leave it just sitting in my den or a studio I'd love to have one but for gigs? Not anymore.

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

Why in the world would you want to get break up out of a Twin Reverb? o____O

6. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

I honestly dont like it but then again I tend to play slightly clipped, I dont like straight up clean. I cant think of a case where I've gone clean, even on ballads and softer songs I roll back my volume but not much, just to take off the edge and I usually use a seymour duncan tremolo and N+B on my Tele, most if not all songs are slightly clipping blaring tele

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

There is definitely something wrong with your amp.

The twin will break around 6-7 just like any other amp, it's is everything but sterile sounding.

have your amp serviced & checked.

Listen to Peter Green in his goo days, listen to Mike Bloomfield with nothing but his tele/paul, his fingers & a twin, or Ronnie Earl live in Europe.

If it doesn't sound good there is something wrong.

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

+1000

9. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

So do you go out and buy a slotted head screw driver when you have to tighten up philips head screws, then complain about how the slotted head screw driver doesn't work?

The Fender Twin Reverb amp is one of the greatest amps on earth, but only if you need an amp that's clean, tight and clear highs & big low end, a broad range of frequencies, a beautiful reverb, killer tremolo, and very high fidelity.
    If your looking for a warm grindy tube overdrive, it's the wrong amp.

10. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

yeah, that looks like a good one!
    big iron! ...as they say.

11. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i use the term "breakup" to mean that little bit of grit when a tube amp is pushed. i'm not trying to get distortion out of it... just a little hair of tube saturation to the clean tones. i don't know if there's a better word for it... so i'm using breakup until somebody offers up something more fitting.

the amps been gone over recently by a very highly-regarded tech in st. louis. i don't think that's the issue. it gets really loud without hum or buzz... but there's no sustain or sparkle like i'm used to from a fender amp. i swapped in some old jensens in there... and it helped a little, but not enough to make it an enjoyable tone to me. people talk about the bassman 100 having a sterile tone... and i can see where they would think that. there's a lot of clean headroom... and i like that... but the cleans sound better from the bassman than the twin. i was just expecting more from such a beloved amp

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

you bought the wrong amp my friend,this is an amp for people who HATE tube saturation on clean tones,that's why Leo made it....

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

had a '65 TR with JBL speakers. EALLY LOUD but too thin in tone JMHO. Much prefer the Bassman.

14. garytelecastor

Well, I am not going to say to you yay or nay on the 67, but I would sure be on the phone in the morning calling vintage shops and see if the 67 ain't worth the trade.
    I can tell you that I would do it, simply because we are talking about an amp still in production and an amp that has been out of production for over 40tyears. But that is just my thinking. Let some of the true experts on here talk to you. Contact by PM some of the builders or collectors here and ask them what they think.
    You could actually make a deal for a Deluxe.
    There is one from the early 90's on sale in the Classifieds.
    There are also some Bandmaster's from the 60's on Ebay right now to give you an idea about what they might cost.

15. garytelecastor

I think it has a certain appeal, but I still would go with the Bassman if there was a choice between the two. I also think that this is his decision to make. He bought the Twin with certain expectations. Those expectations have not been met. Buy the BM, and keep your eyes open for a Fender Deluxe, or Princeton. They will give you all the push and grit you need.
    I like the amp, as far as the pics go, and as I said I have yet to find a twin I would turn down.

16. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

it's pretty much a done deal from my side of the trade. he really wants the twin and i really want the bassman. if both parties are happy... it doesn't really matter if one was worth a bit more than the other. you bring up a good point... as many blackface bassman fans as there are out there... makes you wonder why fender hasn't done a reissue...

17. garytelecastor

Well, I am really glad you are getting the bassman. The twin is pretty prevalent, but an Honest to goodness 67 is worth a lot more and something that 20 years from now will be worth a fortune. I just have learned that on this site to be very careful about offering advice.
    I don't know why they haven't brought up a BMRI. It's a 40 W amp and they do have a couple amps in this configuration. I think that it's kind of a neat appearance on stage to see a BM or a Super Bassman. They just look cool. But as I said earlier, I, myself, think the amp looks pretty cool. Good luck on all of this.

18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There must be something wrong with your amp. Have it looked over by a goog Fender tech.

19. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

anybody else NOT like Beethoven?

anybody else NOT like apple pie?

anybody else NOT like democracy?

anybody else NOT like [fill in this blank]?

Etc.

(Thread ideas for others.)

20. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I will tell you what I don't like. A lot of folks on here like the legend speakers, but I don't care for them. To me one of the worst speakers I heard. They are all right and will do the job, but nearly anything would be an improvement. Jensens, JBL's, EV's, Celestions, the list it long. If you can, try that amp with a different cabinet, set of speakers etc. I am a big fan of the Bassmans also. I think they do have a chimey sound. Speakers will do a lot of that amp. I am a big fan of the jBL's and EV's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.