1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody else not a fan of burst finishes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CleverNameHere, Jun 13, 2011.

Burst finishes: Your opinion

1. I'm Pro-Burst

151 vote(s)
    50.5%
  2. I'm Anti-Burst

42 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. I'm Burst Neutral

106 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

That's lovely.

I like most bursts,but I prefer them double bound too.

2. el gordo

el gordo Tele-Meister

I guess I like them I got a tele and a strat

Attached Files:

3. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

On a LP maybe, but a teles gotta be natural clear finished

4. Crg2

Crg2 Tele-Meister

I have never been a fan of Fender "Sunburst". I like Blonde, Natural, or some other transparent finish where I can see almost all of the wood grain.

Fender's has always been more a dingy "tobacco" sunburst, anyway.

5. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

I really don't like 3 tone sunburst, but I'll never find again such a great sounding/playing (in my ears) Tele. It made me sold my avri"52....
    So I don't look at it when playing :lol:
    [​IMG]

6. Enot

Enot TDPRI Member

I would say I like burst but on Strats and LPs.
    Telecaster should rather be blonde as for me. :)

7. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

I don't care for harsh bold break line bursts...or bull's eye bursts , but I do like well blended bursts..
    The worst bursts ever are new age Martin CE0-4 Gibson sloper copy bursts.. awful.

8. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Some are better than others but generally I'm pro burst.

Peace, Mike.

9. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Sorry not trying to offend, I'm just taking a jab at the least important(IMHO) feature of a guitar. I understand that color catches the eye, but for me it's playability that seals the deal. No matter what color. It's just hard to convey humor on the net. I hope we're still friends.

Though on a serious note I wish Fender would release some "custom" colors every year. How cool would a limited run of Dakota Red teles be? Then the next year a different color.

10. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

I voted pro-burst. My favorite acoustic has a tobacco-burst finish. I like all Teles, but the bursts are not my favorite so I would actually be Tele burst neutral...

11. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

You know, at first I thought I was burst neutral. I don't own one myself yet. After some more thought though, there are both good and bad examples. For instance, I'm not so sure I like the green one at all. I do generally prefer two-tone over three-tone, although have seen some nice looking three-tone's out there. Top binding looks good on a sunburst Tele but the carpet should match the curtains (white binding needs a white pickguard). Not a big fan of the stark teardrop shape found on some Gibson sunbursts. I don't prefer any stark lines on a burst really.

A good sunburst should have a subtle mixing/fading from one color to the next and not look like it was painted on with a one inch roller like someone commented above. Not to mention wood grain and species play an important role in a good burst. A good looking sunburst finish to me says, rugged, hard-working, country, western, plays well with tweeds, etc...

12. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Aren't you glad you asked? You're STILL in the minority. :lol::lol::lol:

13. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

No offence taken I likes what I like, you likes what you like... I mean if I had to take offence at this I'd have to divorce the wife cause she hates sunburst guitars.

14. Keith Jordan

Keith Jordan TDPRI Member

I was looking at telecasters before I bought the MIM natural ash, and one that I looked closely at was a MIA with a tobacco-burst finish. I don't want to say the model because I don't want to offend owners of that model. But the finish on it looked like a computer printout at about 50 dpi of a picture of a tobacco burst. I am absolutely certain the wood grain I was seeing wasn't the actual wood grain of the guitar body, but some kind of paint or sticker on top of it. I've never been a fan of bursts on teles but was trying to warm up to it, but that was a definite turnoff. I don't hate them, just not for me. At their best, they have a sort of plank of wood, pickup truck type of feel. I never think they're beautiful like the good Gibson bursts, but they can be sort of handsome.

15. sd8450

sd8450 TDPRI Member

I am pro sunburst and prefer the classic 2-tone subtle-transition variety.

Here are pictures of my '09 made American Standard Ash Tele in 2-Tone Sunburst. I selected this one over a number of natural and trans-red AS Ash Teles.

The picture of the back almost always comes out like it has 3 colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. brucesinger

brucesinger TDPRI Member

+1

17. Linkinbassist

Linkinbassist TDPRI Member

I hate sunburst strats, but sunburst really suits a tele. Also, bound Sunburst is just too good looking:

[​IMG]

18. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

l_cb3c74e7e58d4ee2bf9e8e1990c715c9.jpg

Just found this picture the other day, before the mods, about a day after I got her :cool:

I wasn't a huge fan of bursts at first, but now I have 6 bursts (2 acoustics, a banjo, 2 basses and the tele) so I guess they're pretty cool.

19. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I have pics of two beautiful bursts in the Bill Nash Club that I started. I'm jonesing for a Daphne Blue Esquire now though. Probably not traditional with a maple board, but...

Martin...

20. painter33

painter33 Tele-Meister

"some guys actually say when they see it, 'hey, never seen a 2 tone burst on an tele', then I turn it around!

Red is one of the least lightfast of all colors. Some colors are "fugitive", particularly transparent colors, which is why the red disappeared on the front. Other colors like some blues (Prussian Blue pigments) and blue-greens are also problematic. Stains or thinned paint fade more quickly that a solid color will because there are fewer pigment particles suspended in the vehicle (oil or water), but "reds will be reds" and begin to change almost immediately. Fiesta Red is a prime example of how a color can change - it begins as a fairly intense red and softens into almost a tomato soup red (very beautiful I think). Colors like this are very hard to touch up unless one mixes the color by hand/eye and accepts that the original and the touch-up may not stay the same even if a newly painted area at first was exactly like its surrounding color. I'm not a burst fan, but if I were to do one, I'd begin with a pretty deep red moving to black with a black pg and a rosewood fingerboard. It might look mysterious or spooky in its darkness.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.