1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody else not a fan of burst finishes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CleverNameHere, Jun 13, 2011.

Burst finishes: Your opinion

1. I'm Pro-Burst

151 vote(s)
    50.5%
  2. I'm Anti-Burst

42 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. I'm Burst Neutral

106 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I love a "Good" burst. I am not a fan of many of the newer bursts that come out, but give me a good old traditional Gibson burst and I am a happy Camper. In my mind, nobody does a burst as nice as Gibson. Here are a few of the bursts in my music room....

Gibson Advanced Jumbo

[​IMG]

1964 Gibson LG1

[​IMG]

Out of all of the different Epi Sheraton bursts I have seen, the only one to grab me is on my 1994 Korean built Sherri. The new ones seem way to yellow in the burst for my taste.

[​IMG]

But I also really like my old cheepo Kay Melody Note burst too....

[​IMG]

Here is a beauty of a burst that a friend owns and lets me play occasionally. 1965 Gibson Dove. (Sorry, only photo I have of it has me in it....:p)

[​IMG]

2. geardaddy

geardaddy Tele-Holic

man, those advanced jumbos are so gorgeous!

if you're interested, this is a great book - amazing photos, and meticulously detailed about the changes in gibsons through the years...
    [​IMG]

3. iamharlan

iamharlan Tele-Meister

Classic!

On the thread subject though, I recently bought a 72 RI that has a burst finish, and the very first thing I plan to do is refinish it. It just seems to "traditional" to me...though I don't really know why.

4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I'd heard them called Geezerbursts - (I don't mind) but I got it when I was young and relevant 30 years ago. The strat was the best one I'd played when I was in the market.

1978 Tele.jpg

1994 Strat.jpg

If that's sad to you it don't really bother me all that much.:)

5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'm neutral. I can take 'em or leave 'em. However, if it's a tobacco burts, I'll take it any day.

6. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

I like burst LP's and acousitcs but I like solid (or see-thru) Fenders.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  7. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

sometimes i look at my tele and think "dam i wish i hadn't paid a little extra for that burst fiish" and some days im like "wow! looks so darn good!"

weirdly im not a huge fan but of my 4 instuments 3 are burst finishes

8. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

I never cared for 'burst until a few years ago, I ended up getting deals on a couple SB guitars that really grew on me. Tastes change

9. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

When I was younger I absolutely hated sunburst finishes of any kind, on any guitar. I never thought I would own one. But, the day I went to my local music store to buy my Tele, it came down to two Highway Ones - a black one and the three-tone burst that I ended up buying. In the moment, I saw the SB in a whole different light, and for me, it was the more attractive of the two. I love it more all the time, but I will have to say that I still tend to prefer solid colors as a general rule.

10. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

I don't like particular colors of burst

11. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Can't stand them. They've always looked cheap and cheesy to me.

12. Keith Jordan

Keith Jordan TDPRI Member

Burst LPs ... drool ... honeyburst, cherryburst.

For Fenders, I like natural wood or solid colors. Especially Telecasters ... bursts look ok to me on strats, though not as good as on LPs.

Not sure if it's the paint or the guitar body or both.

13. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

I think bursts look good on flat tops and jazz boxes, but think they've been done to death on thinlines and solid bodies.

Except for the CVC.

Funny how the 'burst originated as a way of camoflauging less than beautiful wood on cheaper mass produced guitars, and has now become a premium option.

14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I don't usually consider the finish when I look for a guitar. But, I did insist on a sunburst when I ordered my Hallmark 60 Custom, the Venture's model Mosrite clone. That was the finish on all those early 60's Ventures albums.
    Don

15. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

+1. When I'm shopping for a shirt, color is more important to me than when I'm potentially buying an instrument. IMO one of the great things about Fenders is the pickguard can be changed out. If its a great instrument but not your favorite finish, there is probably a different pickguard that will go with that finish better than those shiny plastic white pickguards.

16. Carvalho Diablo

Carvalho Diablo Tele-Meister

I love my emerald burst Logan.

Any excuse...I know, I know...;)

Attached Files:

17. andrewr

andrewr Tele-Meister

I love them on strats, I prefer the 60s 3-tone, but I've got 2-tone I like as well.

They've got to look good though - and that means "look good as far as I'm concerned" (one man's good burst is another man's "oh yuk what have you got there?!!" :lol:)

I like them on LPs as well. But I tend not to go for sunbursts on teles, not sure why, I've seen some cute ones (bound customs), but it's just not a look I want.

I don't really like some of the more exotic colours, just don't grab me. Give me good ole tobacco.

My favourite colour is Gibson's "SG" cherry though, especially the Faded series after you've polished it up a bit - glowing but not too shiny, the grain showing, but lovely and smooth with this gorgeous three dimensional lustre to it. If all my guitars looked and felt like that I'd be a happy boy. I'm even wondering about getting a strat made with a mahogany body and that finish.

EDIT: By "more exotic colours" I meant the solid ones. That emerald burst looks fantastic Carvalho :D. What are the pickups (especially the "p90" type in the neck)?

18. JASS

JASS TDPRI Member

To me, bursts have become like rolex watches for me. They are both still widely appreciated, but their level of popularity has really burned me out on the look. Too many cheap copies of both for me to really enjoy them...

19. Carvalho Diablo

Carvalho Diablo Tele-Meister

Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90 in the neck, and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge.

The bridge has a push pull on the tone control to split the coils.

Really well balanced pair, and atm I am loving the P90.

20. Tom Cook

Tom Cook Tele-Meister

Heres mine

Modded 1998 collector , new pick guard , Lindy Fralins

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.