1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody else not a fan of burst finishes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CleverNameHere, Jun 13, 2011.

Burst finishes: Your opinion

1. I'm Pro-Burst

151 vote(s)
    50.5%
  2. I'm Anti-Burst

42 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. I'm Burst Neutral

106 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. brill_building

brill_building Tele-Meister

I like only the rare, very well done bursts (subtle gradations).....but a large majority are unappealing (esp 3-tones).

2. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Depending on the other appintements of the guitar, the burst in specific colors can be very good.

3. Schtang

Schtang Tele-Meister

Not a big fan of bursts on Fenders, love the colour on Gibson Les Pauls though

4. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Love 'em.

Incidentally...a sunburst finish is the original 'relicking'.
    It was invented (by Gibson, I think) to imitate the look of an old violin where the finish has darkened from age around the edge but polished smooth and pale in the center through playing.

I've been solidly in the 'anti-relicking' camp the last few years and it horrified me to learn that my favorite finish...a shiny new sunburst...is a form of relicking. :(

5. yangounet

yangounet Friend of Leo's

Burst is like butterscotch IMO, a classical finish. I like it.

6. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

Not all bursts were created equal. I don't however like those ridiculous metal gutiar style flamed or quilted bursts. In fact I dislike flamed or quilted finshes in general.

7. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I did a quick headcount and apparently I like bursts more than I thought it did.

8. looney77

looney77 Tele-Afflicted

Sunburst tele with body binding and a maple neck....dream tele. That's what that is.

9. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

+1 I'm a big fan of a nice sunburst, but I think it needs to be with a maple neck to set it off.

10. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

I have one sunburst guitar, and its a beauty, but I wish it was red.

11. tehanallang

tehanallang Tele-Meister

American PRS Bursts are to die for!

12. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks like you're in the minority.

13. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I don't really hate them (except for Antigua, man, ugliest finish EVER), but they are probably my least favorite kind of finish...
    A subtle tobacco burst on an acoustic, or a two tone sunburst on a Strat for that Buddy Holly-look - OK, I can dig that, but I wouldn't want to own any other burst guitars.
    Especially tasteless are those tacky colored bursts (you know blue, green, whatever) on highly figured maple tops...

14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

2/3 tone 'bursts

You don't like 3 colour bursts but prefer 2 tone? I have the Tele for you as it has both. 1973 Poplar bodied Tele that has been out in the open most of it's life. Result is that the red on the front has completely faded away giving a neat 2 tone. ( some guys actually say when they see it, 'hey, never seen a 2 tone burst on an tele', then I turn it around!)

3 tones can be unsightly if the middle colour (usually red) is too prominent, 2 tones are easier to merge. Not just on Fenders either, I've seen a few Les Paul Jnr's that are 3 tone and the red looks like it has been applied with a 1" brush,

Attached Files:

15. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

I don't go out of my way to look for bursts, but it just so happens that of the 3 teles I own, 2 are bursts... Geardaddy posted one, here is the other- FSR Nocaster- Plays like an absolute dream... don't really care what the color is.

Attached Files:

16. ledet

ledet Tele-Holic

I like 'em, but they have to look vintage-y. A burst Jazzmaster, a '59-style Les Paul/335, a '62 Tele Custom or a '54 Strat. That stuff.

I hate Sienna Sunburst, Silverburst etc. Some Antiguas look nice though.

17. N3TeleMan

N3TeleMan Banned

Sorry to everyone but bursts just remind me of old men wearing flares in the 70s. :(

18. SolidbdyJazzfan

SolidbdyJazzfan Tele-Holic

My first three guitars were traditional sunburst: late '50s / early /'60s Harmony Stella acoustic, Rodeo brand three-pickup solidbody (like the ones on Ebay made by Audition and Zen-on that are fetching over $200) and 1967 Kent hollow-body 12-string. I came to dislike finishes with the traditional sunburst (which I guess would be yellowburst or cherryburst).

Now I'm a bit more fond of them, but I still prefer the offbeat bursts. I have a 2009 Epi Les Paul Plus Top (Gibson pickups) in blueburst that I love. I also like those old Japanese Kimberly guitars you see on Ebay from time to time--four pickups and greenburst.

19. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

I own a Tele, Strat, Les Paul and 335 in Sunburst....all Tobacco. So I kinda like it....I guess

20. sbpirate

sbpirate Tele-Holic

I love me some Burst have both Tele and Strat in Burst

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.