Anybody else like the Vox ToneLab?

sluglas

Tele-Meister
I still use the tonelab desktop for all my recording. Connect the spdif output to a Yamaha AW16G. I guess that makes my recording setup old school.
The Mr. Scary preset on the tonelab is probably the only preset I have ever used without tweaking.

ragingplatypi

NEW MEMBER!
Loved my Tonelab SE, and will always have a soft spot in my heart for it. I moved on to the Line 6 Stomp, but still have a Vox Stomplab as my backup. I agree that the old Tonelabs are the best for capturing the mojo, but I managed to get some great tones out of the Stomplab. It took some effort though.

Cleantone

TDPRI Member
About 1 year ago (fall 2020) I got a Tonelab LE because I wanted a whole bag of effects without having to acquire pedals and so I could play through headphones. I also put it through the clean channel of my amp occasionally just for fun. I think most of the effects and the Vox, Fender and Marshall amps sound great, but I can't vouch that they actually sound like those amps. I don't use the high gain amps and haven't been able to dial in anything good on the Dumble clean or OD models.

I have 3 main critiques. First, there is an effects loop that only goes before the Tonelab Pedals and amp/cab sections. That means if you have external effects they must pass through any pedal and amp first. For example, if you use an external overdrive/delay/modulation pedal it must come before the Tonelab pedals (e.g., compressor or wah) and amp selection. Alternatively you would have to put it between the Tonelab and external amplifier, after any Tonelab effects, and outside of the circuit you could hear through headphones.

Second, you can only use one Tonelab effect in a given section at a time, so no overdrive + wah for example.

Third, if I put the Tonelab in the effects loop of my amp the sound from the amp speaker is deadened/darkened significantly, even if I turn off all effects, amp and cab options. So it isn't good if I wanted to use the amplifier for the pre-amp gain and Tonelab just for delay or modulation effects. The impact there is if I ever upgrade to something like a Vox or Fender, I would not be able to use the amp for the natural gain tones, or I wouldn't use the Tonelab.

All that said it is awesome for in-home playing and even if I do upgrade I wouldn't get rid of it. Below is my current setup, always a work in progress.
IMG_5686.JPG

sluglas

Tele-Meister
I still use the Tonelab Desktop for all my recording.
The "Mr Scary" preset is the only preset I ever came across in my life that doesn't need to be tweaked.

1996Standard

Tele-Meister
Loved my Tonelab SE, and will always have a soft spot in my heart for it. I moved on to the Line 6 Stomp, but still have a Vox Stomplab as my backup. I agree that the old Tonelabs are the best for capturing the mojo, but I managed to get some great tones out of the Stomplab. It took some effort though.

A related question, how is it that Vox still sells that Stomplab but gave up their higher end modelers? It's odd. You'd think they'd either can them all or still produce them all. Maybe they found a market for the sub $100 stomplab but couldn't find anything similar for higher price points?

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have a Tonelab LE and used it a couple times to gig. A lot of dials and menu selections isn't really my thing. May sell it at some point. I usually go straight into the amp and sometimes use a boost or distortion pedal.

Cleantone

TDPRI Member
Has anyone recently used the Tonelab software to manage the presets? By this I mean connecting Tonelab to a laptop/PC to download the stored programs, modifying, creating or organizing the programs and then pushing them back to the Tonelab. I was able to download the software and it seems to function on my Windows 10 laptop, but I can't connect the Tonelab using a MIDI/USB cable.

gtroates

Tele-Holic
When it first came out I went all in with buying the floor pedalboard to attach to the desktop version and selling or trading in effects pedals that I thought were done just as well by the ToneLab unit. I used it for a project I was working on by putting it through the singer’s P.A. At the time I was really liking it but at some point I developed a distaste for the sound of it and put it and the floor pedal attachment away in my studio closet. After reading this thread I decided to try it out once more, the sound I noticed back then I was still hearing. To me it sounds like the guitar tone is too distant, like it is coming through a long distance phone call, no static at all just a feeling of less immediacy. I had to put it back in the closet again after giving it a fair amount of tries in different amps, with headphones and through the effects return of my Jazz Chorus. It was great for the time I liked it but as with many things we all buy it had some deficiencies which I couldn’t unhear after I heard them. The newer modeling has come a long way and I do like the Boss GT-1 for times when I want quick access to multiple effects when composing, but I find my pedal board with individual pedals is still my best option for quality sounds in a live context. D82C8E3B-CEC8-4E53-A8C6-060CE4643E94.jpeg 51D19528-FFBF-40AA-A56B-506B640DC342.jpeg

ndtced

TDPRI Member
I had the SE and loved it. The use of a tube was a great idea. However, itvwas the use of a tube that made me sell it. Tube died in a gig and there is no easy way to change it. Too much hassle for me. I got a Boss GT-8 at the time. Inhave loved this unit over the years. I have tried the newer ones and they have good sound, but the GT-8 shines for me. I still use it today and have a backup. I don't gig as much as I used too, but boss is made well. I probably should have stayed with the SE and just got a back up, but $ were hard back then.