Anybody else like "beater" guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by alnicopu, Sep 17, 2016.

1. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I picked up a beater highway one Strat for 300.00 and love the thing. Someone did some very light relicing to it, but not enough to make it look stupid, and added some locking tuners so you can see the screw holes from the originals. I don't have to worry about constantly getting a scratch or ding like I do with new ones. The neck is just a wee bit bigger overall than any other hi dollar Strat I've owned and she plays and stays in tune like a dream. I could care less what my gear looks like, I let my ears make decisions. Anybody else feel the same?

2. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

"Beater" wouldn't be quite the right word for my preferences in electric guitars, more like "anti-snob" or "lumps of wood with pickups", but the idea is similar. My favourite electric cost Oz$65 (<US$50), and needed no mods except a set up - and I'm very particular about pickups. By contrast, I wouldn't be seen out with anything as fancy as an LP Standard, for example.

In acoustic I prefer old and preferably well-used to new, because then you know what you are getting both structurally and tonally. My oldest, and still "go-to" is very rough indeed but it plays well and sounds OK. Some others are in very good cosmetic condition, and I look after them more carefully.

Toto'sDad and Flaneur like this.
  3. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Anti snob was probably a better term.

Brian Krashpad and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

My CV Tele is a beater (Anti Snob)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

+1 for "Sleeper" guitars. Functional bits tuned to perfection with unpretentious looks that deceive the unwary.

6. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Tele-Meister

One of my favorite hobbies is finding cheap bodies, necks, ect... and making partscasters. Some of the best guitars I've owned or played were put together for less than $750. I think a lot of people would consider them beaters

7. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

$300 is a great deal. People are asking for 2x that around here. I love my Highway One tele. As far as your question, I enjoy beater guitars also.

8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

image.jpeg

This. Got the violin case for 30 bucks for it. Also my stained concrete floors. Yanked up all my carpet and did the whole house.

lineboat, 24 track and jvin248 like this.
  9. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

Well... For some, appearances-and the appearance of not caring about appearance, matters greatly.

Tony Done likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I saw a Squier 51 today for 85 bucks, it was all I could do to keep from buying it. I have perfectly good guitars to play, but there is something about a beater guitar that just says, I'm OK, and you're just a do-do 'cause you spent all that money on that Les Paul...:lol::lol:

SnidelyWhiplash, LeftyAl and jvin248 like this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, I make them.... then beat them up...:D

marks on tele '16.JPG

Gibson, Mahalo, BB and 4 others like this.
  12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm fine with nicks and dings, especially if I can beat someone up on the price :) Yeah, I'm fine with beaters.

13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like beater guitars, but I'm getting pretty picky about having wide, thick necks.

14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I had a beater Squire 51 I picked up at a pawnshop for $46, and really was my only TRUE low cost beater guitar.

I sold it because I was never really going to play it, and just bought it because it was a really good deal.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I just realized that my real beater guitar in my collection based on what I got it for is my '75 Strat.

Its the least I've paid for any electric guitar in my collection. I trade a $500 Fender Tele for it.

Here's some pics of my '75 Fender Strat beater:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They're like bananas in a bunch, each one is slightly different. I had a black one my brother-in-law gave me because I did some work for him and he felt kind of obligated to do something for me. It was a pretty decent player, but I've played some that weren't. I ended up letting a guy have it for his kid, they both liked it. The one I saw listed today was the better looking '51 in my opinion, it was a sunburst. There was a kind of yellow one too, or something like that. I've seen them for 50 bucks, and I've seen 'em that were modded a bit for $200! You never know. They are kind of like a hard-tail strat though and that ain't half bad. I decided finally to just let someone else discover the one I was looking at. After selling off a bunch of guitars I'm still guitar poor, I don't need another one, I just want another one. :eek::D

17. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's hard for me to think of a $300 to $500 dollar guitar as a beater. I think it's because I paid less than that for my first Les Paul new in the 70s.

I like bang for buck guitars. So that includes some vintage ones but equally my Squier '51 and hardtail Bullet Strat. Both of those were around $70 each and I play them often.

mitchfinck likes this.
  18. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love beater guitars!

19. tniemcewitch

tniemcewitch Tele-Meister

I honestly love them. Each tells a different story!

20. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I never think of a guitar as an asset to be preserved, in it's most saleable form. I don't see a connection between price and playability, price and functionality- at least, for myself and the uses I put guitars to.
    I love a guitar that doesn't worry me, when I take it out of the house. Ideally it should feel great, sound great, have a low-key appearance.....and cost very little! :D
    If I want to put stickers on a guitar, change the pickups or put on a Bigsby, I don't want to be hearing about the lost resale value. I own and use them, I don't want them to own me.

I recently bought a Classic Player Strat, with some minor cosmetic issues. It's the nearest Strats get to the Baja idea- with great pickups, a good neck and hardware, with the superficial look of a vintage instrument. It suits me better than any Strat I ever played and cost £240. Gig-ready gear at rock-bottom prices? Where do I sign?

hellopike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.