Anybody else here using a Carr Rambler?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chrisguitarguy, Jan 24, 2013.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I hear that. I'd never buy a piece of gear unless I'd checked one out myself. I'm even skittish about ordering. I like to know that THIS is what I'm getting. But I got my Boogie and MusicMan Silhouette by ordering after checking them out at studios and through friends. I wasn't disappointed with either. Great stuff.

2. Chrisguitarguy

Chrisguitarguy TDPRI Member

Thank You!

3. aroyak

aroyak TDPRI Member

Running a Rambler 2X12 combo with a tele, it's a glorious sound. Wondering if anyone has found a fuzz pedal they like with their Rambler? Or any other OD's.

4. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I don't use fuzz; personally, I found that my Rambler isn't very picky when it comes to OD pedals. I mainly use either a Barber LTD or 1/2 Gainer (the LTD is my all-time favorite overdrive), and an Orion Western Drive (this is a fuzzy overdrive - much less gain & compression than a fuzz, but with a ragged, grainy edge); have also tried a Klon clone, an ODR-1, a Marshall BB-clone, TS-types, Zoom PD-01 - the Rambler sounds great with any of those.

5. aroyak

aroyak TDPRI Member

I'm having the opposite experience with my OD's, mostly because the Rambler is pretty sensitive to the " tonal qualities" of the pedal, which I appreciate but making it hard to dial in. I'm using an OCD, Bogner Wessex, and a tumnus. I had big hopes for the Tumnus but not finding a sound I like. I'm playing mostly Petty and Stones covers, with everything in between. I'm digging the reviews on the LTD I'll have to keep that one in mind.

6. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Zombie alert!! Over four years on, and I've finally plugged into and played through a Rambler in Coda's shop. I am absolutely knocked sideways, blown away, smitten and other terms of a similar nature. Bugger the expense and the currently weak £/$ relationship, I'm buying one as soon as possible. Just need to think about custom finish options, as the basic black one I auditioned has some very minor cosmetic defects. I bloody love this thing!!!

RomanS likes this.
  7. Tony474

Update: I've put my money where my mouth is, paid a deposit and ordered a 1x12 Rambler in wine red. It's hoped that it'll be here in about six weeks from time of writing. It's bloody outrageous and ridiculous; no way can I justify such an extravagant purchase in any rational, logical terms, but then who cares? It's a visceral thing; it's such a great-sounding amp and purely the ownership of such a hand-crafted artefact will give me huge pleasure – in addition, of course, to that of playing through it. I don't expect to be using it on many gigs; as I said before it's probably too good for me and it'll most certainly be too good for most of my venues and audiences!

RomanS likes this.
  8. drying out

drying out TDPRI Member

I don't think you'll regret it. The Rambler is best sounding amp I've ever played through. Such amazing cleans. Baffling really.

Tony474 and RomanS like this.
  9. Tony474

I certainly don't. It is a most beautiful amp, in terms of sound, build quality and (in my opinion) appearance. I posted another thread about it, here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/nad-carr-rambler.754617/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.