Anybody else here using a Carr Rambler?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chrisguitarguy, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Chrisguitarguy

Chrisguitarguy TDPRI Member

I have had mine for a while, but just started really playing it. I found it to be an incredible match with my Tele. Anyone else here using the combination?

2. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

That is a mighty fine amp. While I'm sure that many would love to have the opportunity to play/own one, there may be few here that would choose to spend that kinda scratch. I'd love to have one! enjoy!

3. Chrisguitarguy

I picked up a used one, got a great deal on it. It is an awesome combination!

4. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Carr Rambler is a great amp, bulletproof and versatile. I have enjoyed playing one. Currently using an Allen Old Flame head..... most awesome amp I've had the pleasure of owning.

5. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

I sold a really nice guitar and some gear last year, thinking of getting a new amp. I had some bucks to burn from the sales, so i checked out a lot of amps. My favorites were the Carr Rambler, Tone King Imperial, and Louis Electric Buster.

All three are excellent amps. The Rambler/Tele combo is incredible. In fact, it sounds great with any guitar. Beautiful clean tones are a must for me. Perfect pedal platform.

There were two reasons why I didn't go for it, though:

1) Even after all the sales I made, the amp was still over my budget. I was still considering it, though, except...

2) I'd set 35 lbs as my weight limit. After decades of lugging my 65lb Boogie around, I wanted to have a lightweight option. The Carr weighs in at 40. Not earth shattering, but that and the price pretty much moved me in another direction.

If I ever decide to sell the Boogie, I'll seriously consider getting that Carr Rambler. Congrats on a stellar amp.

6. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I haven't owned one, but I have recorded with one and used ones on gigs with backlines several times. IMHO it is the best amp out there period. If I had the money I would buy one. It is almost like a combination of a Deluxe Reverb and a Pro Reverb, but a little sweeter and less harsh in the highs. I couldn't imagine a better amp.

7. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Has anyone made any good youtube clips of their rambler ?

8. Chrisguitarguy

I might be able to throw one together, I can't promise how good it will be! Lol

9. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

I will look forward to that, I am quite drawn to carr amps but they aren't easy to try out where I live.

10. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

There's a shop near me which has them. They definitely live up to the hype.

11. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

Love Carr amps. I'm using the Artemus.

12. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted

I picked one up about 4 months ago. I had been watching CL and ebay for a few years waiting for one to come up at a decent price. My son demoed one at Rudy's in NYC and told me about them quite a while back. He said it was one of the best amps he'd ever played through. He was Soooooo right. Mine has the original Kingpin speaker and came with a clamshell cover. Pretty much emptied the equipment fund account, but glad I did.

Attached Files:

13. bobbyk

bobbyk TDPRI Member

Rambler

I've had one a combo for about 6 years, recently sold it to get a Rambler head/cab that was such a good deal I just couldn't let it get away. The Rambler is the amp I owned longer than any other amp in my 62 years young life. It is simply a great amp and the only amp I have ever owned - and I've owned quite a few over the years - that sounds exactly the same every time I plug into it and that sound/tone brings a smile to my face every time.

14. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I'm very fortunate in that I can afford to buy a Carr Rambler. Everything I've read about them indicates that I would absolutely love it to bits. But as well as having probably too many amps already (all right, I know I could sell one or more - but which?), I'm bothered by the thought concerning not whether the Rambler is good enough for me, but whether I'm good enough for it...

15. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

I'm not good enough for the Carr amp I own either Tony and had similar thoughts before I purchased it.

However, I've reached a point in life where I can afford it and I ain't getting any younger, so I decided I might as well just enjoy it while I can.

And that I am!

Tony474 likes this.
  16. Chrisguitarguy

This isn't with a Tele, it is with a Strat style guitar. The rhythm is ran straight to the amp, the lead is ran through a Marshall blues breaker pedal.

This was not mixed or mastered, just some raw tracks with comp and reverb.
    http://soundcloud.com/chrisguitarflyguy/chilling-with-6s-and-9s

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  17. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Nice demo thanks for that you certainly have some chops:D

18. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

There are a lot of different ways in which we all pay our dues.

You'll do what's right for you, of course, but keep in mind that you're helping Steve Carr and his small company to continue making their fine products when you buy one of his amps. And, of course: you're doing yourself a very nice favor, too.

19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Points well made and well taken. However, I've just checked and at present the Rambler isn't showing on the web page of the only UK stockist of Carr amps that I know of, Coda Music in Stevenage. Obviously they've sold the one they had and, no matter how good it's reported to be by others, I wouldn't want to order one in specially without having the opportunity to play through one first. If it's worth having it's worth waiting for, so I'll just keep an eye open...

20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Bud of mine had one and returned it. I think it was too much of 1 thing..forgot why.
    not sure which one

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.