Anybody else have the urge to walk into a pawn shop with $70...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Pictures please!

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Back in the 80s, I knew a bunch of guys who had a band, and they all worked at one of the original Sam Ash stores. That band always had the best gear when they played.

- D

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Don't know about $70...

I've gotten an Epi LP100 (which I rehabbed) and a Squire Strat SE for $75 each.

It's hard to find decent stuff at a reasonable price. The pawn shop where I got the Epi is owned\operated by a former student. When I come in, he'll take me to the back storage and let me check out the stuff that hasn't made it to the floor yet and will cut me a decent deal.

4. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

IMG_20171215_152317.jpg IMG_20171215_152402.jpg I still pop in with a couple in the tri state area.

I bought two this year both for $175. A mim tele with a case worth more than the entire deal and a Schecter Exotic last week which plays and sounds great and is in great condition. But I usually look for the unknown oddball electrics which by large go under the radar like the Exotic etc. I found a Tokia LP 83 same way and a USA early 80s Charvel. They simply dont KNOW everything like with the Exotic and the Tokia and the Charvel. Very confusing as you know it requires a bit more than google. I tend to see it more in this view, its also true some shops are simply easier to deal with and more inclined to mess with musical instruments. Others its more of just a wall-candy decor and eventual sale now and then.

There's different emphasis by owners on what they pay for what they buy also. Some will pay a third and work on making a third. Others will offer you 15-25% and dont care if they buy it or not. Just the way it is. And further how sellers market items varies...some will ask TOP dollar and do not care if the item sits a year since they add to the wall candy and over all shop appearance and others want to quickly flip everything.

Then theres the state to state law ....some dont pay cash but by check and require an ID so its not really cut and dry with assuming nafarious dealings, and many are straight up honest business owners.

IMG_20171215_152225.jpg IMG_20171215_152256.jpg IMG_20171215_152342.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  5. MahoganyStratDZ

Oh and my 10 dollar upgrade which Stew Mac supplied.

IMG_20171216_062541.jpg IMG_20171216_070848.jpg IMG_20171216_070832.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Actives? Guitar is beautiful!

MahoganyStratDZ likes this.
  7. MahoganyStratDZ

Thanks, but no passive, they are the exotic original- Super Rock IIs. The covers I bought two sets from Stew Mac and never used one but they are made for pick-ups like the SRs with no pole adjustment.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Things have been that way longer than that. The first guitar I bought was a Korean made Mako Strat at the local guitar shop for $250 back in 1984. That was high for a MIA guitar at that time, but still cheaper than Fender. It was really a good guitar after I did a setup on it, the pickups were decent and the body wasn't made of plywood like so many other cheap guitars of the day. If I could find that guitar now, I would buy it back. That is pretty much the same as a lot of Squier guitars today.

9. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I bought this Samick strat copy for $25, then put a bunch of expensive Fender parts on it (Lace Sensor red pups, Graph Tech Ghost piezo saddle system) and turned it into this.

Pic from midpoint in the build. Very dirty, apologies.
    [​IMG]

She'd been sitting there for several weeks, marked down from $150 to make offer.

Had a white PG with Nancy lvs Sid written over a heart and the anarchy A symbol in pencil. Rear strap button was moved up about 5-6 inches.

Figure it had been owned by some punk kid who couldn't get the guitar low enough with the lonest strap he had.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Widerange Hum likes this.
  10. Florida Sam

Florida Sam TDPRI Member

I love pawn shops.
    Stuff I still own (there have been many others)

Parker Nitefly M.
    Sterling Ray 34
    Warwick Streamer Pro M
    1985 B.C. Rich Ironbird
    1990 American Std. Strat
    1980 Hamer Standard 4 Digit

I'm not going to go through all the prices but I will say the Strat was less than $50.00. Yes 50. And the Hamer less than $600.00. Both last year.

20171214_163252-01.jpeg 20170713_170445-01.jpeg img1499384951322-01.jpeg 20170628_195139-01.jpeg 20170219_131304-01.jpeg 20170109_185651-01.jpeg

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  11. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure anyone has discussed strategy in Pawn Shop pricing or Negotiation.

Buying at Pawn Shops can be totally different on certain days of the month and certain times of the year. The Posted or Tagged Price is the asking price or the beginning of negotiation. Often times that asking price is based on what the ""Reverb" website shows for guitars that are currently listed which are also "Asking Prices" in many cases. If you buy from Pawn Shops that know Guitars you may get better deals. Dealing with Pawn Shops who Know Nothing about guitars can also lead to a good deal.

I can say that I currently have twenty or so guitars and through buying and selling over the years I feel like I am close to "Zero" in inventory cost at this point. Buying low and selling at meager markup and buying more and selling again - until now I don't feel like I have a huge $$ investment. Now that doesn't really cover the expenses for my trips to Nashville or Arlington or Houston or San Antonio but I just consider that entertainment expenses.

I have purchased $20.00 guitars that play and sound exceptionally well and I have one $1,000.00 guitar that I paid too much for but still sounds better than any others that I own. I like craigslist shopping but I still manage to average hitting one Pawnshop a week. I'm at the maximum capacity for my secured storage unit so I have become more discriminating out of necessity.

Lost_N_Austin

12. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Pawn shops sometimes are risky for getting robbed/hurt. So keep that in mind. I have spotted guitars in CraigsList at a pawnshop and gotten a Vantage Strat for well under $100.... works fine. But Reverb and eBay have 'make an offer' that lets you offer rather too low and then ease upward until the deal is struck. Act ignorant, be apologetic, and be courteous ('help me out here...') with sellers who may sell it for cheap just to be rid of it. A $200 buy to me may be peanuts to a fellow earning $120K a year and is not really into guitars much, but has a sharp guitar (he overpaid for...)

13. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

Made a really nice player out of an Epi SG for $80. P90, put a Leo Quan tailpiece on it, Les Paul Standard tuners...

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

A few years I considered buying a DeArmond and doing that. Local pawn shop had one for $80 and it had a nice feeling, Gibsonesque neck; plus a nice looking body with a good finish. Never did it though.

15. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I looked for one of these in my local pawn shops for a long time. They had plenty of the Epi special II with humbuckers always but not never the Special I with P-90's. I finally gave up and got one from Musician Friend for $150. That was probably the best thing anyway because the pawn shops would have wanted $225 for it:>) Platefire
    DSC03739.JPG

Zepfan likes this.
  16. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

The only pawnshops I know of around here are an "upscale" chain with huge fancy stores, haven't felt a desire to go into a fancy pawnshop. I have had neighbors ask me to fix their laptops that they bought at one of those fancy pawnshops, and the laptops were clapped out junk.

17. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Fixing up pawn shop guitars used to be a thing, but now the ones around me are filled with bundle guitars and other starters insanely priced. Seems like most pawn shops sell anything good they get online.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.