Anybody else have an aquarium?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lake Placid Blue, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Not right now, but would love to get a nice coral/anemone tank, sooner than later.

jb

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Our beginner 32 gallon aquarium. The three sword tails had full run of the place for 3 weeks as the new tank was getting established. Yesterday we introduced 3 Gourami fish. Thing got frosty immediately. The sword tails are sticking together like a pack of deer trying to survive the circling wolves. They behave very differently now and are quite reserved while all fish figure each other out.

The Gourami have such different personalities. They love to hide in the caves we have provided. They get into the darkest holes and relax. They move slow and eat every every bit of algae they can find. They aren't aggressive and don't seem the least bit concerned about the Sword Tails. However when a human comes near the tank to observe, they seem to prefer to hide.

Looking in the tank at times I see zero Gourami as they camp out in their dark places. I suspect it will take a week or so for everyone to calm down and get comfortable. Everyone is eating well. It seem all inhibitions are tossed aside when the food is put in the tank.

IMG_5401.jpg

3. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome tank!!

4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Since I was 12 years old.
    I’m currently 65, love Plecos and Snails and Live Plants.
    My current setup is a 29 High.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

A 2.5 gallon betta tank with one red betta fish. It started out as an idea to have our son learn more responsibility, but I've done all the work with it. A castle my kid picked out, a couple fake plants, and I need to get another live moss (that's the extent I'll do live plants). Lots of YouTube video how-to's, lots of failing once or twice, but I'm learning how it all works..

I'm pretty bad at taking care of anything other than myself...and pretty bad at that, too. But I do take some pride in that little betta fish. He's made it over a month so I must be doing something right. Maybe we'll upgrade his tank at some point, but he's exhibiting "happy behavior," so that's good.

6. mr newhaven

mr newhaven Tele-Holic

C11649CC-A5BA-4309-8DDF-98E16A1C89BE.jpeg DC0D3730-276F-4B26-AE3E-CD3888ED012D.jpeg I dabbled in a reef tank a few years back
    Did everything by the book...wanted to build it up and eventually get it healthy enough for seahorses...man was I wrong...from crabs hitchhiking on the live rock eating some of my fish to a freaking extra long eucinid worm scaring the crap out of me one day appearing out of no where and eating a few of my fish I bailed on it

in theory it’s a relaxing and rewarding hobby
    In practice you need a degree in chemistry and constant maintenance that I was unprepared for...coral was rewarding enough and even all my invertebrates but man it was more work than having a dog and ultimately I gave it to the high school kid who sold it to me at the store...research before you buy!
    Here’s a picture of my tank after one month of diligent care and here’s a pic of the worm I was essentially feeding with expensive fish!

tubedood and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a nice 60 gallon tank, going at the office from 1992 until 2005.

The tank and structure survived; the fish got killed off when we couldn't get back into town and the power was off for weeks.

If you don't have a sound "civilized" place, you can't have fish. It really is that simple. I've been meaning to take the tank to the mountains but again, power keep going off there. I ain't going through that any more.

8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

@boris bubbanov a “Sound Civilized Place”? Meaning what? Reliable power, water, and a tranquil environment?

9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

No aquarium here, but I have a DVD of a live aquarium you can watch on the TV. It's very realistic, and no dead fish to flush down the toilet. I prefer it that way.

10. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Here is a pic of our 20 gallon reef after we removed the rocks last week and cleaned off a lot of Green Bubble Algae, a tank concern. On one side of the coin it does show the tank parameters are supportive to thrive, the other side of the coin is this is a nuisance algae and is hard to get rid of.

Tankmates are 1 clownfish, a few snails and crabs... a hammer coral, a Duncan coral... Green star polyps... a few Favia corals, a zoanthid coral, a Montipora coral and finally a xenia coral. We just added the Birds Nest coral on the top of the tank rocks, hes brand new.
    Fun little tank but it is a lil effort!

TankPic_1.jpg

11. Doomguy

Doomguy TDPRI Member

Weird, I always found platies to be really good at devouring their fry. Wild livebearers (such as my Poecilia mexicana) won't even touch the fry, weirdly enough. The fry come out a bit bigger as well.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I do but mine is truly low class compared to what I’m seeing here.

[​IMG]

I do have night time LED mood lighting.

[​IMG]

13. Lake Placid Blue

That is a beautiful tank.

tubedood likes this.
  14. Lake Placid Blue

I love your Yellow Submarine.

studio1087 likes this.
  15. Doomguy

Doomguy TDPRI Member

How the fish look matters more than how the tank looks. I like that gourami.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Goodwill - 4 Bucks!

:)

17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Our aquarium is no longer inhabited by fish, but our pet Mexican Red Legged Tarantula. She’s a real sweetheart. Unless you’re a cricket.

18. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We call him Jaws.

20200119_135412.jpg

19. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

...and we assume it's a "him"...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.