Anybody else have an aquarium?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lake Placid Blue, Jan 11, 2020.

1. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

These are all super cool. :) We have just the spot for an aquarium, but I haven't trusted us to be able to handle the care with our career demands. I'd definitely want a reef tank.

When I lived in Connecticut there was a Fin & Feather shop in Middletown that had an enormous reef tank. It had some kind of pump system in the base that provided circulation and tidal action. I would go visit it almost every weekend, and it looked different every time I went. The colors would migrate, and oh man, the critters in there! Spiny crab things, fish, anemones, corals, lots of things I couldn't even identify, it was just fantastic.

Now that I've retired, maybe this is something to consider. Does anybody know what would be the average cost for a complete setup, say 100 gallons?

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  2. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

”Dude” lives in a nice, big glass bowl, he’s a (blue green) Delta Tail Male Betta fish, and loves to look mean! The bowl is replenished every 5 days-ish with store bought spring water.

Maintenance and food: I safely pour him in the container he came in, and use hot water with no additive/ no soap to clean the big bowl. I never see algae growing! The food is Betta Buffet pellets by Omega One.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    stormsedge and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  3. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! That sounds great. I’d love to see more pics if you don’t mind.

4. Lake Placid Blue

I had a camel shrimp that was picking at my corals. I caught and removed him by placing a tall narrow glass (with a few pieces of mysis shrimp in the bottom) next to one of the rocks. The next morning he was in the glass unable to swim out. I always thought an octopus would be cool to keep until I read they kill and eat everything and are amazing escape artists.

stormsedge likes this.
  5. Lake Placid Blue

For years my wife kept a 20 gallon tank with swordtails and platys. It started with 3-4 of each. As soon as she put a couple of live plants in there the platys started breeding like crazy. She started stocking our little pond in the back yard with platys because there were so many. I miss that aquarium and pond.

stormsedge likes this.
  6. Lake Placid Blue

That’s like asking how much a telecaster costs :) It all depends on what kind of stand you want, the lighting, filtration, how much live rock, which fish and critters you want...... I would suggest going to your local pet stores and online to price everything you want, read reviews of which filters and lights will suit you best, which fish and critters will get along and which will kill and eat each other. I had a friend who didn’t plan anything and got into it because he bought a 135 gallon tank really cheap on sale. He initially set it up as a saltwater fish tank but over time it became a reef tank. Every week he went back to the same pet store and they’d convince him he needed another expensive piece of equipment or fish. Within months he had invested over $3000 with hardly anything alive to show for it. The fish kept dying or eating each other. Some of the corals did well, most didn’t. After about a year he emptied the tank and gave it away.

stormsedge likes this.
  7. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sounds like wise advice. I do know someone in the area that supposedly has a lot of experience with this sort of thing, so maybe I'll talk to him too (as a BS meter for what the pet store people tell me!). Thanks! :)

8. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

We've never done salt but have owned many freshwater tanks over the years. We had a large room in one of the places we lived with a 110 gal., two 70 gal. and a 30 gal. long, (stocking feeders for the fish in the big tanks). Arawanas, (both a silver and a black), a Clown Knife, Green Severum, Bala Sharks and a large Fire Eel were the main occupants. They'd eat about six dozen 2" feeder goldfish or shiners each week. Our kids friends used to show up at feeding time to watch the action.

9. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We have a hamster in an aquarium. The hamster is about the size of a walnut. My daughter insisted that anything smaller than a 40 gallon tank was hamster abuse. I made her pay for it.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've had them on and off since I was a kid; gave my last one away to a friend about 10 years ago.

Picked up a new house back in May, decided I wanted another aquarium for my birthday. Did it on a budget - bought a 30 gallon kit and the stand that matches it. It's freshwater; I have five black skirt tetras, five kuhli loaches, two bristlenose plecostomi (they only get 5" long), and some neon tetras. My theme was to get a tank of totally peaceful fish. No fin nippers or bullies allowed.

Here's a pic I just took for this thread:

[​IMG]

11. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I had one in my room as a youngster, and it was fun watching and collecting the tropical fish. I'd like to have one again someday. If I do get another one, I am putting my Godzilla and "Creature from the Black Lagoon" models in it. :cool:

About 30 some years ago I was hired by the MN Zoo to build and install plexiglass windows with frames around the whale tank. It was to keep people from tapping on the actual glass of the tank, because the whales have sensitive hearing. One of the better jobs I've had, whales are fun to watch.

Bill, have you considered a bird feeder? My cat loves looking out the window at the birdies.

edit: (With bad intentions of course) :D

12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

LPB, that's a beauty. Nice growth. I lived in the Marshall Islands when I was a kid. Since we had no TV, everyone has aquariums instead. We would go snorkeling to catch fish. I miss it, but I'm too lazy to take care of a salt water tank.

cat dude and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I used to have one.
    Now I AM an aquarium! 80% water, full of bugs and virus's.....

14. Lake Placid Blue

I once went snorkeling. Well, without a snorkel. It was really unintentional. I started off tanning on the beach but I’m so big people kept pushing me into the water.

Blue Bill, tubedood and cat dude like this.
  15. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

10 gallon tank 1 beta, 4 ghost shrimps and 1 Java Fern. There's artificial plants too while the Fern grows

tubedood and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

When we decided to give up aquariums we both were a bit bummed at first then we remembered we can go swimming in a massive aquarium with almost every creature you could want.
    Besides I can’t afford a tank to house grey reef sharks, black tips, or even a nurse shark. And the upkeep is much easier

17. Lake Placid Blue

Well said!!

18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. Doomguy

Doomguy TDPRI Member

I've been keeping and breeding freshwater fish for 15ish years now? I used to breed guppies for sale, also toyed around with other livebearers like swordtails and platies. Have had my fair share of dwarf cichlids and tetras as well, along with a cool pair of wild caught Aphyosemion australe.

Right now I'm pretty low on fish because I have other priorities (such as college) so I only have one tank, a 20 long. I have 6 Colombian tetras and a male Poecilia mexicana that I intended to breed, but his female died.

20. Lake Placid Blue

Good for you. Platys are a lot of fun for us because they have so many babies. Swordtails and mollies were a little tougher because they would eat their fry. We never separated the babies into another tank. We had lots of live plants for them to hide in and eat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.