Anybody else have an aquarium?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lake Placid Blue, Jan 11, 2020.

1. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I used to have a 25 gallon tank. It was home to a pair of Black Ghost Fish (Apteronotus albifrons) and something that cleaned the glass.

They would hide in daylight, coming out at night...where they'd dance. They'd swim in unison, creating the most amazing geometric patterns. I would watch them for hours.

Their diet was brine shrimp and it wasn't uncommon for them to take it from my hand.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

What do you do about predators? If I had one it would be a buffet for raccoons, coyotes, hawks and other wildlife.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We have an 8 year old goldfish. He is an interesting bugger. I will load a pic sometime soon.

4. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Their behavior sounds fascinating. I enjoy watching the rocks in my tank at night with a flashlight. It’s a lot of fun watching all the creatures that come crawling, swimming or slithering out of the crevices. I had a 5 gallon tank with a spotted puffer fish that used to eat out of my hand.

stormsedge and Stringbanger like this.
  5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

We only ever saw one heron, and he/she was chased away.

6. Lake Placid Blue

Goldfish will live forever under the right conditions.

Stringbanger likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have been into aquariums for a long time, but haven’t had one in over 10 years. I had three medium to mini tanks set up, one with a African Ciclid and one dedicated to freshwater plants. I had CO2 and expensive lighting, just for a 20 gallon tank. About as hard to keep as saltwater. I was into Takashi Amano, still am a follower of that aesthetic.

Sorry, crappy pics from a time when affordable digital cameras still sucked ;)

6FC12D9A-5233-47E0-BA63-FDF015EAE462.jpeg B4D2859C-0313-4F4E-BABD-7BB153DF1AA4.jpeg

8. Lake Placid Blue

I saw a heron once. I knew it was a male because it had a pecker..... on its face:lol::lol::lol: I crack myself up.

Stringbanger likes this.
  9. Lake Placid Blue

The only expensive part of my reef tank is the light. It’s made especially for reef tanks. It cost about $180. Once I put that in my live corals flourished. Everything else is low budget. My HOB filter was about $30. The power filter was less than $10. All of the pulsing Xenia spread from one frag that cost $5. Same with the mushrooms. Most of the rock is lace rock which was less than $1 per pound vs a few small pieces of live rock I bought for $8 per pound.

10. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A small beta tank my ex gave me. I have considered upgrading to a nicer Fluval tank, getting some more plants, and a couple of shrimps to help with the housecleaning. Maybe after I move in the next couple of months.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I love looking at aquariums but would not be able to maintain one. My backyard hot tub looks like a green lagoon for most of the year.

12. Lake Placid Blue

That sounds like a good plan. Post some pictures.

rghill likes this.
  13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

At one time I had a 120 gallon freshwater aquarium stocked with live plants, which require special lighting, special soil, and co2 pumped in from a tank. It was spectacular. Then one day while at worked it leaked and all the water ended up on the floor, causing a good amount of damage to the house. That was the end of the aquarium phase of my life.

14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Friend had a kisser fish that killed anything else in the tank. When the canals are drained you can pick up crawdads. I put one it in the tank. Those two were at each other for months. I think the crawdad won.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    stormsedge and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  15. Lake Placid Blue

In my wilder younger days I may or may not have had a 40 gallon tank with hyacinth and a few two inch bluegill and crawdads that were caught at one of the local lakes. They lived for several years in the tank and were eventually returned to the lake. I was recently told the department of fish and game frowns on that.

Nightclub Dwight and stormsedge like this.
  16. Lake Placid Blue

I’m sorry to hear that. I took down my seahorse tank because it developed a stress fracture on the front. It looked like a small scratch in the beginning but it grew several inches within days so I took it down. I sold the tank to a guy that wanted it for his lizards. The seahorses were surrendered to a LFS.

17. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

The wifey and I have a 20 gallon reef aquarium... Waterbox brand.
    Lighting is handled with an Aqua Illumination AI Prime HD LED Light. Great light if anyone's looking for a good reef light.
    We have a small protein skimmer in one of the back chambers just to help keep water in check.

Bio Load is 1 clownfish who is quite the spoiled big baby hahaa.
    Corals are a large Hammer, and a great head of Duncan that has thrived. We also have some hard to grow zoas that have finally doubled in polyps. A few Favia's are slowly gaining in size also. Green Star Polyps are slowly taking over a corner of the rock.
    It is our lil piece of the world.
    Old pic of the hammer hes much bigger now!

DSC_0326.JPG

18. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I’ve had freshwater and marine tanks over the years, gave up our last marine tank due to algae and a hidden mantis shrimp the decimated everything in the tank. Also a tiny octopus invaded with a water change
    We caught our fish from the sea and used real sea water. Unfortunately we have had way too much sunlight so algae was a real problem

tubedood and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

My wife just started a 32 gallon tank before xmas. Freshwater. New to us we’re learning. We started out with simple sword tail fish. 3 of them. So far they’ve been enjoying the tank all to themselves. Took them a while to relax and settle in. Maybe a week. Now they are comfortable and energetic. The water bacteria system seems to be under control. I believe my wife introduce some new species tomorrow. Something well suited to live with the sword tails.

Been 25+ years since we’ve had an aquarium. Its neat and relaxing to watch them. Much more learning to come!

stormsedge and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d love to have one again.
    My cats vote “Yes”, too.
    I don’t trust their intentions.

flathd, stormsedge, cat dude and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.