Anybody else get anti-GAS?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cysquatch, Jan 26, 2020.

Anti-GAS is...

1. normal, so sell the junk.

41 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. normal, so wait it out.

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. weird, but could be the right thing for some.

14 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. proof I've lost my marbles.

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I think I have my Tele acquisition under control but for the last few years I've wanted a Rickenbacker 360/12 in Fireglo and of all things a Coral Baby electric sitar. Aside from the cost of acquisition I can usually tamp out the fires of GAS by realizing just how limited and specific both instruments are. They are more like pedals than guitars because of their limited and very specific utility. After a handful of Beatles, Byrds and Tom Petty songs, which admittedly would be loads of fun to play, the Rick would go back into the case. After playing the Box Tops "Cry Like a Baby" and a half dozen other 60s songs the Coral would be consigned to a similar fate. Plus the Rick is a bear to string apparently. GAS avoided (for a while).

2. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I THINK I am good with what I have but you know how that goes...

Ducerro likes this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Over the past decade I have cleared all clutter from my setup. Unless something has a job to do, it is gone! Having extra stuff taking up space just for the sake of owning it simply doesn't appeal to me like it used to.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

Been there done that. I went through a phase of just getting down to a Tele, Strat, an Acoustic and a SFDR. Put up my PRS CE 24, Superchamp Rivera, and my Gibson in CL. Nobody replied just a couple of low ball offers so I said heck I’d rather just keep em.

5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I have a strat and a les paul that I never play ... been debated for the last 6 months whether I should just get rid of them or whether I can't live without a strat and a les paul?

6. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Instead of "Anti-GAS" I've got "Anti-$$$$".......will that work????

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

DECISIONS, DECISIONS, so many options so little time.:twisted:

think about Neil Young's collection of tweed amps:rolleyes:

8. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

I have the "someday-it-would-be-sweet-to-have-it-GAS", which, in my case, is, "when-my-playing-can-justify-it-GAS". I view it like this: Any money I make playing music or doing music-related things can be dumped back into music. If I save up a thousand dollars made from playing gigs, I can justify using it to buy gear I want. I also apply my tech income to that category (tools are included in my GAS).

Long ago I came to the realization that guitars/amps/motorcycles/etc. are just stuff, and it all has a price. I have loved all the guitars I have let go, but as stuff, they are less important than the reasons I have let them go.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Obsessed likes this.
  9. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I am content right now, but would like to add an S style and a P90 to my electrics which would be 6 total. 1 LP, 1 ES-335, 1 Hollow body single pickup jazz box, 1 Tele, 1 Strat and 1 P90 (prob a T style). I have 1 high end acoustic and a mandolin and would like to add a 12 string. So 8 in total, and all would get played regularly. If money wasn't a consideration, a nice classical would also be nice. :)
    Amplification is a whole other category. A Friedman Dirty Shirley twin Sister is mighty tempting right now, as is a Reeves Space Cowboy.:eek::D One can dream.

10. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

When I switched from guitar to drums, I thought I would get my gear and be settled. But guess what?? There's GAS over here too!!

So many cymbals, snares, stands, etc. one could get. It's just as bad as guitar gear, maybe worse!

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Me too. My thought is that perhaps this is part of the evolution of a musician and GAS. I got to the point of owning "my" sound and that is when I realized that I don't need all of those extra goodies to give me "their" sound.

Milspec likes this.
  12. julmust

julmust TDPRI Member

Ohh I wish!
    Actually, come to think of it, I might have experienced that maaany years ago. In more recent years, no.

13. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I went from three to six electrics in the last two months of 2019 because of "deals": $200 off a demo Fender Player Strat, a clearance Squier VM Tele Deluxe for $300, and a Yamaha bass that I felt was a much better value than a Fender Player Jazz Bass.

I am currently satisfied with my little collection. I'm still well below average for number of guitars per person here on TDPRI.

However, I still find myself evaluating "what if" scenarios like some of the posts above. For example, What if I upgraded my Squier Tele Deluxe to a Fender Vintera 70s in Mocha? What if I just bite the bullet and get an American Professional P Bass (because I may need it for studio work even though I'm a bedroom player who is a beginner at bass)? What if I just give my Road Worn 50's Tele to my mother-in-law's boyfriend? Etc. etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.