Anybody else get anti-GAS?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cysquatch, Jan 26, 2020.

Anti-GAS is...

1. normal, so sell the junk.

41 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. normal, so wait it out.

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. weird, but could be the right thing for some.

14 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. proof I've lost my marbles.

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Over about the last two years, I've gone on quite the GAS appeasing bender as I had gotten back into guitar seriously after a short break. 7 guitars, two amps, two cabs, a number of pedals, and some other miscellaneous audio equipment all found its way into, and some back out of, the house rather quickly (compare to the 2 guitars and 2 amps I bought total in my first 12 years of playing). I'm at a point where I feel like it's just too much and I've gotten more concerned with gear than playing.

Lately I've been feeling some strong urges to downsize to my 3 most used guitars: standard tele, standard strat, and my mongrel P-Rail partscaster. Even strongly considering trying to reduce the amps down to a single combo and try to get back to plugging in and playing and cut out the goofiness in the middle.

Is this part of some GAS cycle that naturally happens? Am I being too hasty and set to end up missing a slew of "ones that got away" after another year? Anyone else out there experience this sort of anti-GAS?

2. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I was selling a bunch of my stuff to ease my GAS for a Kemper.
    Along the way I played and tested all that I was selling.
    At that point I realized I ONLY NEED 3 or 4 sounds/tones.
    My GAS was cured and I've spent all of that time I would have spent looking for GAS gear, wood shedding.
    Now I just want to play better and practice more.
    GAS can end.
    best of luck

3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think GAS is much like the formation of the universe. Starts off with a bang and grows at a rapid pace before it levels off and starts to shrink. I was a horrible victim of it as I used to have the income to support it, so I chased every whim for years. Then the income went away and the GAS leveled off. Once it cooled, I started to realize that I had a lot of gear that was not being used. Good gear, just not getting used so I started selling.

Already moved a few instruments and 4 amps including my Victoria tweeds which I never thought I would, but they were not getting used enough to keep. I was just making a new list an hour ago about what my core items were and what I else I probably should sell off.

The exception seems to be with regards to speakers. I still GAS over speakers for some reason. Maybe because they can be had without destroying the budget or maybe just because they effect the sound so much that it makes sense? What-ever the reason, I am now a speaker nerd.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think there are two levels of GAS.

One is "can't-live-another-day-without-it-GAS".

The other is "someday-it-would-be-sweet-to-have-it-GAS".

5. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My big creative goal these days is to record songs and ideas that have been floating around in my head for years. I've got everything I need to do this (I did just get an Ableton Push which seems like it will actually help). And dang it I did just get a guitar which won't help. On the average I'm getting rid of more things than I buy, but it's an ongoing struggle.

gregulator450 likes this.
  6. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Anti-GAS is somewhat like dark energy and dark matter, inferred to exist. However, it is only local fluctuations in the continuum of perpetual GAS. It has been proven that anti-GAS can also pass.

7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I am struggling with anti-GAS right now. Hopefully, I can turn it to my advantage, and shed the things I don’t use or don’t need to use, freeing up space for things I do. Or at least freeing up space so I’m not tripping over the things I use.

8. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Can't say I have reformed as I just got a sweet Guild CE-100 from 75 last Friday. The prices are going down these days, so many must also be acquiring anti-GAS. I have been doing this since the early 80's., so I won't be stopping anytime soon. I have probably gone through a couple hundred guitars & even more amps in my time of accumulating. I sell some for money while I keep others around to make my life less mundane.

9. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

If you are seriously getting into guitar, then join a band...
    You'll find out what gear is really necessary that really works for you. And then there's the matter of hauling that gear around for rehearsal/gigging -- nothing like loading-in and load-outs to curb that GAS! You will likely adopt a minimalist approach (although that may lead to another GAS mission to find that perfect 'stealth' guitar that covers the most territory!)

10. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

That's the way it works! ;) BUT!.. Don't sell the really good stuff. Can it have use in the future? Is it difficult to find, or a special piece of gear? Then you keep it. I have guitars and pedals I haven't played for years, and then the time comes where I need them .. they're there!

kuvash likes this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Right now I have all the guitars I need and probably a few I don't. I doubt I'd sell any of them. I took out one I don't really need, my SG, a few days ago and playing it, I was reminded why I bought it. I have one amp that's all I'll ever need. I can't see myself selling off any of my stuff. I don't need the money and don't need the space they take up for anything else. GAS for another one? Like I said, there's no need, but who knows if I'll come across something that calls out to me?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    kuvash likes this.
  12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I go through cycles of buying and not buying, but I rarely sell anything. The majority of my purchases fill a gap in the accumulation, and are thoroughly thought through and researched before the purchase is made. Very, very little impulse buying on major items, which is where most people tend to get into trouble.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yep, and it's important to know the difference. These days, I don't buy anything unless I have a specific thing I want to do. There's a lot of gear I'm interested in, or think it would be fun to have, but I figure if I start from the point of wanting to DO something, like accompany my vocals with harmony, or shrink my rig enough to carry it all in one trip, or reduce the number of cables going all over, then I'm on more solid ground for a purchase.

Cysquatch and Obsessed like this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yes but "dark GAS" increases the speed over time. Plus, quantum tunneling by guitars hanging on the wall at Guitar Center, listed on Craigslist or on display at Music Zoo's website can cause a strong localized GAS event.

boredguy6060, Deathray and Bluego1 like this.
  15. demon

demon Tele-Meister

I find myself ogling the latest shiny toys mostly when I cannot play my guitars due to lack of time or travel. Actually playing guitar drastically reduces the desire to buy another.

I don't have a massive collection but I still have too many. They take up a lot of space and the clutter drives a kind of anti-GAS.

Frankly I was happiest when I had just one guitar and would like to get back to that. Some day, when I am ready to let go of the others and the unnecessary distractions they offer, I will do that.

Cysquatch and Wildcard_35 like this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Over the holidays, my GAS burned down my "available" cash. I'm done until I save some more...not touching my emergency fund. I've enough nice gear to keep me occupied for some time to come...and note that despite my attempt at choosing guitars across a theoretical spectrum of tones---they all sound pretty much the same in my hamfists.
    I'd still like a Hendrix Signature strat, a Tele with a HB at the neck, a small tube head, and maybe a Nighthawk, but it is time to take a knee...and practice---that is where all the tone is lurking anyway.

Edit: I'll admit my last GAS act (last week) was to fill what I perceived as a "hollow body electric" gap in my inventory (not really...I have a nice Riviera P93) purchasing a Gretsch 2420 something. Inexpensive, had good reviews, and my Dad had one for a while. NGD coming Tuesday:twisted:.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  17. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Help an old person downsize or help with the clean out of a recently deceased old person's home. If that doesn't cure your GAS, nothing will.

18. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

My collection is pretty complete now.

I wanted one of each style of Tele, Strat, and Les Pauls. Not every style, but the styles I like, and all tweaked to sound good in their own right (not to sound all the same).

So....
    Teles:
    52 style BSB black guard - where it all started
    62 black, bound tuxedo - for those formal occasions
    70s Pink Paisley - hippy, flower power era
    Thinline - for those watching their waist line
    Am standard - cause it's the standard
    HS - cause Keef can't be wrong
    IMG_20190306_091304.jpg

But now I'm thinking about a partscaster made up of all the bits I like to be my workhorse guitar.

19. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I went down from 7 to 4 electrics in 2018... Went up to 7 again last year - build project and two restoration projects. I can see myself getting rid of a couple more to get a Strat with some vintage... since I've got a couple of old, played-in instruments, I'm drawn to them much more than the newer ones I have in excellent condition.

20. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I have anti gas right now.
    No desire to get rid of anything but I have no intention of acquiring anything. I do get distracted obsessing about gear. Time to play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.