Anybody built an Allen Chihuahua?

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been looking at a kit of this model- I like the low volume/fairly light weight and the reverb is what I crave. Anybody like this model? I've built a bunch of guitars and swapped out lots of pickups so I understand basic soldering but have never built any amp before

S00NERMAN

Tele-Holic
I bought one ready to roll from Allen. I don't know what you are talking about "low volume" as it is way loud for my practice room. Couldn't turn it up enough to break up without deafening myself and blowing out windows. Ended up with a Roland Blues Cube that I keep on the .5 watt setting and I'm pretty happy.

Alex W

Friend of Leo's
I've been looking at a kit of this model- I like the low volume/fairly light weight and the reverb is what I crave. Anybody like this model? I've built a bunch of guitars and swapped out lots of pickups so I understand basic soldering but have never built any amp before

The Allen Chihuahua looks like an attractive amp to me, as it is more or less a Champ with reverb and a master volume.

The kits are $300 less than the completed amp, so the issue is whether that would be $300 well spent to have it built by a pro vs $300 you can save knowing that you're perfectly capable of building the amp successfully.

Tall-Fir

Tele-Meister
I own an Allen Chihuahua. I currently live in an apartment and will be so for quite a while. I bought a 1x8 for my needs of mixing a fine tube amp with reverb and mobility. I have two rooms in which I can use it in without any hassle at all! Absolutely love such a great, fine sounding amp in this small of a package. Made in America, too!

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
If you're not all thumbs, and can solder competently and can read and follow directions, you won't have any trouble at all building this amp. Allen provides excellent, detailed instructions and if you read through first, and check and double check your work, you should be able to start up first time.

Any issues, you can contact Mr. Allen via e-mail and he can help you sort it out. You can also get advice and help right here.

Don't build it only to save a couple of bucks, do it because you want to.