Anybody built a tube microphone preamp for recording?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by wnorcott, Mar 29, 2009.

1. wnorcott

wnorcott Tele-Holic

I am thinking about constructing a one channel microphone preamp this is for recording studio that would use low impedance XLR microphone jacks for the input and output. It need not have phantom power supply.

My requirements are simple: sounds great, flat response, absolutely quiet no him or audible noise, and lots of gain. Preferably using a single easy to find tube or two and a low parts count.

Has anyone come across plans for a preamp that would meet all or most of these requirements? Thanks.

Bill

2. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

If you are looking to go all tube low Z balanced input and low Z balanced output, the traditional and sensible path will point you to input and output transformers.

Between the transformers, the circuit can be either single ended or push-pull/differential.

This can be a low parts count project but not a cheap adventure unless you can scam some surplus trannys.

There are lots of good tubes to use depending on how much gain you need. Are you using high output condenser mics or low output ribbon or dynamics?

If you can go unbalanced out, that will save you one transformer.

3. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

I don't have a lot (i.e. any) input on this subject, but I hope you do this project and document it here. I'm interested. I'd also vote for phantom power.

Good luck!

4. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I was looking into it but got sidetracked.

I wanted to make a Guitar/Bass preamp. Mainly so I could record Bass DI with some more variety.

5. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

THIS ONE doesn't look simple, but it does look very, very cool!

Tim

6. wnorcott

wnorcott Tele-Holic

This saw this PAiA tube preamp kit http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9407K which is not pure tube it is a hybrid design (transformerless: uses IC op amps as tube drivers in the input side and buffers on the output) and is a starved plate design but the voltage is 45 volts
    $92 for the kit.

This one has been around for 15 years I just never knew about it so I am going to research this one some more.

Bill

7. <jbc>

<jbc> Tele-Holic

Old reel-to-reel decks are frequently a source of surplus line-matching transformers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.