Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by restorationad, Sep 12, 2012.
Working on finishing up the red witch 2. Setting the neck.
Neck set cleaning up the heel.
Pretty easy to reach around.
On to the T9 Blackguard pickguard. Template first.
The dual blade neck pickup needs a bit larger hole than a traditional SC. The coil wires are not soldered up yet but I needed to make sure it fit.
Now lets fix the body carve I don't like.
Clamping up a body fix is always tricky
Fixed. I had to put the belly carve back because a bit of the original one was still there.
On to decals. Since this is going to be a beater prototype thing I want the decals to look worn out. Also wantto make it look like I didn't sand the pine 2x8s I used for the body so we will add some marking to them as well. After that we will seal the body up with CA.
Once it is tested I will get some orangish butterscotch clear on this thing to make it look right.
Decided to angle the runings keys and stay with the vintage style.
Late night wiring.
Assembled to work out the kinks before going to finishing. No finish yet just sealed in CA to keep the moisture out. Still need to finish pickups, decide on pickguard screws, and fit controls into cavity better.
Guitar is still very light colored. Once the finish goes on we should get better contrast between the parts. Also not sure about the half bridge.
I would play that "beater" any time, in fact for me it looks like a tele in a futuristic movie.. By the way how thick is that body? is the same as the s ones?
So it is right at 35mm. That is 1-3mm thicker than an S9 but it is super light. The pine is the reason. It is White pine 2x8s so very light. Yellow pine is a bit heavier. I am going to go ash on the production models (seems wrong to ask for money for a guitar built from Lowes 2x8s).
5lbs 7oz without knobs and a tone bar to hold the strings.
Add those two items and some wax in the pickups and finish... this thing might still be under 6lbs.
The guitar is acoustically loud right now with little to no finish on it. It is really overly alive \m/. The pickups are not potted and it really has no finish. I stuck some Ernie Ball Cobalt .010s on it (I hate these strings) and it has tons of pop. I found myself repeating the opening riff to "copperhead road" for some reason.
Aussie blackwood... Vic and Taz. With a ringed Gidgee fretboard to boot. No plan yet but glad to have them.
Starting on 2 new multiscale 7 strings.
Needed a switch knob for the Blackguard. I could order one but this is a cheap prototype so lets grab a piece of ABS and make a knob. Can't be that hard. I didn't use the drill press to drill the hole so the first 2 ended up being a bit crooked. After finally getting a straight hole I rounded it on the belt sander, sanded it with a 180 grit sponge and buffed it on the buffer wheel.