Any Way to Fix Paint Spitting on Sparkle Coat?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Farwesterner1, Oct 18, 2020 at 10:25 AM.

1. Farwesterner1

Farwesterner1 TDPRI Member

Finishing a Telecaster. I laid down four coats of grey acrylic (over sanding sealer and primer.) It looked good.

So this morning I went to add a subtle purple sparkle coat using a rattle can. It's a Japanese acrylic that I've used for other projects—looks great. I did tons of tests. Cleaned the nozzle.

But as I was gently spraying the coats, I got paint spitting from the nozzle (is there a better name?) It's on the upper front body, not under the pickguard. Ten or twelve big shiny drops that stand out.

What should I do?! I'm worried that trying to sand a sparkle coat will mess up the finish further. My next step was to add a clear coat on top.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:35 AM
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Sometimes rattle-cans spit blobs instead of a fine mist.

One thing to be cognizant of is keeping the tip of your finger far back so none of the paint exiting the nozzle hits your fingertip. That can cause the same problem.

You are correct that level sanding through any sparkle finish will sand into the media that creates the sparkle, and that can alter the appearance of the media. There's no quick fix for this with pearlescent, metallic and sparkle finishes.

Farwesterner1 likes this.
  3. Farwesterner1

Farwesterner1 TDPRI Member

Any chance this will go away when I add a gloss clear coat to the top? (Hail mary!)

Or do I have to sand the whole thing down and start over? (Sad face.)

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Don't know about your particular product but I find the aftermarket nozzles that StewMac sells for their rattle cans work much better than the ones that come on the can - far less spitting and much better control of the pattern. I take them off and clean with lacquer thinner (I'm shooting nitro) and use them over and over. Warming the cans in hot water seems to help.

As far as will it go away, probably not. I try to level each coat (again I'm shooting lacquer) after it is applied - when I'm ready to start putting clear on its level and smooth,

Farwesterner1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.