1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Vintage Schwinn Bike Experts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JDawg0427, Aug 11, 2020.

1. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

In 1966 Varsity list price was $74.95. Continental list price was $81.95. So the Continental was only $7 more! Of course $7 bought a lot back then.

2. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just get a sore ass...

3. Boreas

Weight is relative. They didn't seem heavy at all back then. Neither did a 5000# car. Alloys were very expensive, and tires were more than rubber bands stretched on a rim. They held up well to abuse and rough roads. Not so much with $5k graphite and unobtanium alloy bikes today. People are afraid to ride them on a dirt road. My Varsity easily handled any road a car would. Just took a little more effort...

kingofdogs1950 and Wally like this.
  4. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I have three old Raleigh bikes, one each from the 50's, 60's and 70's. They were made in Nottingham England and use Whitworth sized fasteners, because Raleigh started building bikes in the 1800s, before there was any standardized bolt or even thread patterns. They made everything in house, down to the nuts. They continued this way through the 70's.

I didn't think Schwinn used Whitworth stuff. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Raleigh?

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I've found it worth it to put some time and money into my lesser Typhoon every decade or so.

Like @GGardner and @getbent and others I didn't get my dream Varsity or Continental the way I dreamed but started saving and got a Raleigh that was probably a better move overall. Summer time reminds me of the riding it before knowing about hydration, better clothing or bonking.

Sorry on not knowing the current value but I've never had true regrets or gone particularly wrong buying a bicycle that interested me. A bike is a way you can go back to being a kid at about any age. It's utility and healthy lifestyle at once.

I got this Typhoon around college age. We had a red balloon tire girls bike my dad fixed up as our learning, first bike and it was shared. I was envious of a kid who had a new black Typhoon when we had that spray painted red girls bike.

Really, every Telecaster lover should have some form of a steel frame bike that's not too fancy even if it is. By that I mean go ahead of get a modern one but keep it tough and versatile.

[​IMG]

Stubee likes this.
  6. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had a mid-70's Varsity, "10 speeds" were a big deal. I do remember thinking it was heavy when I first handled it but it didn't bother me when I rode it. It took a beating and was fine until cast aside when I got my driver's license.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I may be thinking of Raleigh.
    There are several around here.
    All kinds of oddball crap finds it's way onto my stand.
    Mainly old bikes that were no good when they were new.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mine was blue, with a 2 speed rear hub.
    You changed gears by braking.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  9. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty, Burgundy Mist? I'd offer them $150, and see what they say...and they're only heavy when you're going uphill. What's a few more LB's when you weight about 200?

edit: I just noticed the front fender looks like it's dinged up quite a bit? That could be a good negotiating point...and the tires need replacing.

And a banana seat...or maybe a bigger seat, with springs and cushun' for cruisin'.

Looks more like "Burgundy Mist" IMO.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  10. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

It does look like a 1965 bike. It probably had a front rack originally and the rear reflector can be sourced.

It is considered a middleweight, and some people really like and collect them. Not usually as valuable as a heavyweight tank bike though.

I'd offer low and go up from there if you really want it. Go look on the CABE.com website for old Schwinns and middleweights. I think there is a whole section on mid weight bicycles.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  11. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

The serial number will be on a rear drop out (by the axle.)

It doesn't really matter so much what year it is, because it is what it is. Nothing special. It's still cool and it is a solid Chicago made Schwinn nonetheless.

12. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

Here's one of mine for a reference - 1941 Schwinn DX

IMG_5222.JPG

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Brendan, Boreas, Stubee and 4 others like this.
  13. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Those things were ridiculous!

14. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

You reminded me, have a '55 Raleigh 10 speed that I need to get a tube & seat for.

15. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

I wanted one for Christmas so bad. Got up early to the horror of a three speed with black and white tassels hanging out of the white hand grips; the epitome of un-cool! I would rather have had nothing. I was an ungrateful little bastid.

I finally got one that color in my first semester at college in '69 and it was stolen within a week. My room mate had loaned the money to buy it so payments were made in full...

GGardner and Boreas like this.
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Schwinns, like Levi jeans, weren't sold at the PX, hence I never had any. Well eventually I got my Levis. But never a schwinn. Their banana bikes were COOL!

17. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I never had a Schwinn either, and I had a paper route! I remember how cool the Sting Ray looked when my neighbor got one, but my Huffy 10 speed with a banana seat and Ramhorns was faster! :D

18. Boreas

Can't hold onto them in college. I rode the rattiest-looking thing on two wheels so it wouldn't get stolen. But I kept my Schwinn indoors to ride on the weekends and when my 63 Chevy wouldn't start.

19. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I remember there was this kid, I'm guessing around 12, who came in to our shop one day looking pretty nervous. I started talking to him and realized he was trying to not look too excited about something, which I understood because I was like that as a kid too (yeah, "was"? I'm still like that). Never get too excited about something, right?

It turned out the reason he was so excited was he was going to order a Paramount, or maybe it was just the frame, I've forgotten. Anyway, in talking with him I figured out there was an issue... he showed me what he wanted in a catalog, and the price he was pointing to was the cost of the option for a certain color (which in his defense was pretty expensive just for paint).

I felt so bad explaining it to him. I hope he got one someday but I don't recall ever seeing him again.

FWIW the place that made the last generation of Parmounts is still building frames/bikes.
    https://waterfordbikes.com/schwinn-paramount-history/

Wally likes this.
  20. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

That bike looks older than a 1965. I say late 50' early 60's at the latest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.