any use for 12dt8 tubes in guitar amps?

naneek

Tele-Holic
I found 3 rca 12dt8 tubes in my boxes. Any use for these in guitar amplification?

I got these years ago from an estate sale of a retired firefighter who had a lot of spare parts from the radios the fire department used back in the 50's and 60's. Picked these up because they were in original boxes, and had the same pin arrangement as a 12ax7.

I have read some reports online of people using these in place of 12ax7's, but I would not risk substituting these in my tube amps without more information.

I'm not well versed in the technical aspects of tube amps, only playing them. Do these have a use in guitar amps, pedals, or maybe headphone amps?

Just trying to figure out if these are worth hanging onto, or if I might have any use for them currently.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
You can't just plug these in- the pinout is very different. It also requires 12v for the heater. According to the RCA data book, it is similar to a 12AT7.

MuddyWolf

Tele-Holic
You will never use those tubes in a guitar amp unless you build something specifically designed for those tubes. You don't even know if they are still good. Toss them.

naneek

Tele-Holic
well if anyone finds a pedal, headphone amp, fm tuner, or other audio gadget that uses a 12dt8,

please shoot me a link.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
A few years ago, I discovered a box of 12V6GT tubes that I contemplated building an amp with, decided against it, and advertised them on CL. A fellow from Phoenix contacted me, and we made a trade. He repairs radios for classic cars!
You would have had tubes for life. I bought my 12V6 tubes years ago from a guy that did car radios.