Any Uni-Vibe fans out there? (Updated)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burntfrijoles, Aug 9, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The Uni Vibe is a pedal that I often consider but never buy. I love the sound but it seems like such a niche effect.
    Phasers are another niche effect. I had one but rarely used it so I sold it.
    These are pedals that I assume one owns just to keep on the shelf for occasional use. It's either that or find a multi-effect modulation unit that can do all things. I've rarely found a multi-effect pedal that does all things well.

2. Telesaurous Rex

Telesaurous Rex TDPRI Member

Like you, had one and sold it. Love the sound. Really not my style, though. If I could find an inexpensive box that sounded good I might consider buying it, just to goof around with.

Also like you, don't care for multi-effects. Too complicated. 95 percent of the time I'm plugging straight into an amp.

3. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I dig that Jam Pedal one they bust out on That Pedal Show now and again.
    But not enough to spend that kind of serious cash for one.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Eeeeeagle

Eeeeeagle TDPRI Member

I have the Carl Martin Purple Moon Fuzz n’ Vibe. Like you said, not something you are going to use all the time but definitely adds some flavor here and there.

5. stonge

stonge TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Univibe pedals are one of those things i think i like better in theory; I hear other folks playing one, think it's cool, buy one, and rediscover that it's still not really my thing (kind of like my 'need' for a 7 string guitar). Some people really make them sound great but they're kind of 'meh' when I try them lol.

I picked up a used Wampler Terranova; it consolidates all those "once in a blue moon" modulation effects into one pedal and frees up more real estate for dirt pedals lol.

Seasicksailor and burntfrijoles like this.
  6. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

Experiences may vary depending on the specific pedal you try and personal preference. I tried an MXR Uni-Vibe and didn't like it at all. On the other hand, I love my Fulltone Deja Vibe. For me it not only nails the heavy effect heard on the classic recordings by Trower, Gilmour, etc, it also works well as a more subtle chorus effect. The Deja Vibe is now the only modulation on my board. Not a niche effect to me.

Matt G, kLyon and Deathray like this.
  7. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Meister

I just finished a Madbean Harbinger 1.5 univibe a couple weeks back. My drummer wants me to use it on every song :|

kLyon likes this.
  8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I have the Keeley Darkside and that is one of the chewiest uni-vibe sounds I have heard and I love it.

I also have the Wampler Terraform that has a uni-vibe and its good, but not quite as rich as the Keeley.

I think its a great effect used properly for a given song. I think you could say the same thing about chorus, but the 80s might disagree

9. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Inspired by a Buddy Miller Rig rundown, I bought an MXR Uni-Vibe. It has different settings for both a Hendrix style Uni-Vibe and a Boss-style Vibe. I find the Vibe setting more applicable, but they're both great.

Tim T, Rowdyman and Fretting out like this.
  10. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I have the Dark Side too. One side set up for UniVibe and the other for fuzz. I use it more often than expected.

11. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I think I’m an outlier as I’m one of the few people that actually like the MXR version

I’m sure more expensive and accurate units are better but the MXR is certainly useable

Tim T, Rowdyman and Thoughtfree like this.
  12. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

My Katana has a Boss software version of a uni-vibe buried in it somewhere. I had a fiddle with it once, when I was in my 'oohh, I wonder what this sounds like' discovery phase.

I'm not sure it nails a uni-vibe sound as such, but it was quite fun, IIRC.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

All modulation is ‘niche’, and at the same time, has potential to become a ‘core’ part of a player’s sound. In other words, if one is emulating someone else, its likely to become a niche—the box that said player made for everyone else. If you’re just into soundscapes, it’s potential is still something along the lines of ‘experimental’ but, again, lot ways to modulate a waveform. The original U-V is limited in that regard, but it’s unique in it’s photocell/incandescent lamp phasing.

I’m a fan. I also don’t judge a pedal’s value by how much I actually use it. That time on/money spent fraction is irrelevant, as it’s entirely about access and inspiration, should I have to quantify this racket...

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  14. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

I built an RG Keen version. Sold it. Too swirly for me. I didn't know what to do with it.

15. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

When did you get the board? I built one ages and ages ago... not sure if it still works actually....

16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

To me the secret of really nice vibe tone is that they always need some saturation in line after them.

I think it's because the definitive vibe tone I hear in my head is vibe running into a cranked Marshall a la Robin Trower. Sounds nice and Hendrixy with a fuzz face in front of it but still needs drive downstream to be epic.

I've been pretty happy with the cheap Cool Cat vibe pedal from Danelectro. It's an old school optical vibe without much tweakability, just speed and width knobs. But it delivers classic tone with the distinct double throb. And was $25 used a couple of years ago.

Much as I like vibe tone, it's just a once-in-a-while thing for me, not central to my sound.

I really enjoy a tasty Leslie tone sometimes too.

But I use chorus more often than either of them.

BorderRadio likes this.
  17. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

I just got a Digitech Ventura Vibe on Friday as a semi-replacenent for my Phase 90 (still keeping the 90, but it's getting shelved).

It's giving me some of what I was missing with the Phase 90, and that is (using typical guitarist adjectives) some "organic warmth". The Phase 90, which I've always loved, feels a bit sterile sometimes when used on clean tones. I like it much better with higher gain.

In the few days I've played through the Ventura Vibe/Univibe, I find that I prefer a more subtle vibe with a slowish depth and speed setting and with about 60% of the effect blended into my signal.

There's also a Leslie Rotary mode on this that sounds pretty good, although I'm sure it would sound better if I had a stereo setup.

The footswitch is a soft switch. A gentle press will make it act kind of like an expression pedal, ramping up the depth and speed until your foot is released. I don't think you can change the ramped up values though.

So, yes, I seem to now be a fan of Univibe type effects, but it's also an effect I'd probably only use sparingly.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Doctorx33 likes this.
  18. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I like the classic tunes using it, but despite trying hard, I find that I only like one setting, and it feels super restrictive and unresponsive in actual use. I've given up -- though when someone uses it well, I still like the sound.

19. green_henry

green_henry TDPRI Member

One of my favorite guitarists, Michael Gurley of Dada, has a Prescription Electronics Vibe Unit on his board, but I think it's almost always set to chorus instead of vibe. I like the chorus tone.

20. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

The chorus setting is the most commonly used setting, seems the vibe setting rarely gets used by folks

Jipes likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.