Any tips for New York City?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by guitarmoron, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Personally just love walking around the east and west Villages, LES. Bring comfy shoes would be my best advice. Cabs are cheap though.

Maybe see where/if Jim Campilongo is playing.

The Staten Island ferry is free. Great view of the Statue of Liberty. No idea if there is stuff to do near the ferry docks on Staten Island.

Had a fun tour of Hamilton’s house in Harlem courtesy Ranger Doug. It’s run by the federal? parks service. The house had already been moved and was due to be moved again but it wasn’t going far. That was maybe 2001. Way before the musical and we were pretty much the only people there. It might also have been free at that point. Wonder if the play has made it a more busy destination.

All kinds of museums. I’ve done some of the big ones, but also stuff like the transit/subway museum in Brooklyn. My kid at the time was big into that, so we had a great time. Umm, he still is my kid, just not so much into the transit stuff. So, there is more than enough to last you months just in Manhattan, but there’s lots of interesting stuff in the other burroughs. Given that you have a week, you could definitely do a bit of somewhat off the beaten track exploring. I’d say don’t write stuff off just because it isn’t in Manhattan if it interests you, particularly if close to a subway line.

Have a great time.

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Oh... and be sure to say "Y'all" and refer to them as "Yankees" a lot. It endears you to the locals.

Chunkocaster and guitarmoron like this.
  3. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

MoMA for sure. I think they still have The Starry Night on display. The Museum of Natural History could eat up 2 or 3 days by itself.

It's a pity that Mandolin Brothers is closed now, and 48th street isn't what it used to be. Those two spots were worth a day apiece back in the day.

The NY Aquarium in Brooklyn was pretty good back when I went. It's near Coney Island, but you're going at the wrong time of the year for that unfortunately.

basher and guitarmoron like this.
  4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

It's cold in December. The wind in the concrete canyons blows frigid.You will want to wander around in midtown and the huge pedestrian mall. Bring a warm coat, maybe a hat.

5. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Kind of like Vegas; cabbies, doormen, wait staff, anyone who serves you or does something for you

jimash and guitarmoron like this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A winter or two ago we looked down from our hotel room and saw the Rockefeller Center tree coming up the street on a flatbed trailer. Quite a scene!

@StrangerNY is right, NYC is great during the holiday. Stay away from Times Square unless you really, really, REALLY like gigantic, swirling crowds of tourists clogging the sidewalks and stores.

guitarmoron likes this.
  7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Yup. They love the Yankees. //////////lol

guitarmoron and Torren61 like this.
  8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! NYC in mid-December. Great time of year to visit.

We grew up in south Jersey, an easy turnpike ride to Manhattan, but driving into the city is CRAZY! We took the train from NJ Transit's Hamilton Station to Grand Central Station, NY. safe. easy in-out. inexpensive.

I'd definitely recommend Times Square, which is the where the ball drop occurs on New Year's Eve. Lots of landmarks and sights within walking distance of Times Square:

Rockefeller Center (Christmas Tree & skating)
    Radio City Music Hall
    Central Park
    Empire State Building (observation deck)
    Hard Rock Cafe
    Broadway Theater District
    Grand Central Station
    Madison Square Garden

An easy subway ride gets you to:

Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Liberty Island and the Statue of Liberty
    Wall Street
    SOHO

* As in any big, metropolitan city, keep money and valuables in your front pants pockets or in a passport pouch (around your neck and inside your shirt). Be alert and aware of your surroundings.

Hope you have a great time!

9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What?! when did this happen?

guitarmoron likes this.
  10. obi-john

obi-john TDPRI Member

There’s a really nice restaurant in Rock Center that puts you on the same level as the skaters. They go to a one price menu ($$$) during the holidays, but you have a wonderful and cozy view. St. Patrick’s cathedral is across 5th Ave.

Walk a few blocks to 42nd St for Bryant Park and the NYPL. Kiosks and ice skaters.

Max Brenner Chocolate Bar and Restaurant in Union Square. Or Eataly.

Way crowded, but great views: The High Line

The Met. Afterwards walk uptown 10 blocks to The Guggenheim, if only for the view. Cross the street from there for a view of the Central Park Reservoir. Head back south through the park to the boat pond. Famous statues there.

If you get a nice day head all the way downtown and walk the Brooklyn Bridge.

Do at least one high building view, either ESB or 50 Rock.

Starbucks for no hassle bathrooms :)

Midtown is a grid:
    -even numbered streets go east (towards East River/Queens and Brooklyn)
    -odd go west (towards Hudson River/New Jersey)
    5th Ave is the East Side/West Side divider)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Walk fast, tip well, and get a room with triple pane glass because when they say that NYC is the town that never sleeps, it is because the constant construction keeps you awake all night.

guitarmoron likes this.
  12. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

I typically keep it to Lower East Side. LaMela/Little Italy, Katz Deli, Russ & Daughters.

13. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

As soon as you get there, find and visit Times Square - so you can avoid it for the rest of your trip.

If you have the interest go see some theatre. Best in the world. Don’t just see the broadway smash hit musicals. Plenty of amazing theatre off broadway.

Carmine Street Guitars in the Village is a fun visit. If you like books, Strand Bookstore is the ultimate.

There’s a website called Club Free Time that lists free events. Sometimes they are very cool. For instance, tomorrow night there is a free showing of the old horror film House of Wax, with a talk from Vincent Prices daughter. Can’t find that kind of stuff anywhere else.

Pro tip: if one restaurant has a long wait for a table, but the restaurant next door has seats available right away, there is something terribly wrong about the second restaurant. Beware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

ALSO. Get a front pocket wallet with RFID protection. I’ve never been bothered by anybody in NYC but without RFID they can scan your credit cards and you don’t know it till the phony charges come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitarmoron and Torren61 like this.
  15. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

There's a fire tower near me, on a clear day with binoculars you can see NYC, that's my favorite way.

16. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

See Campilongo if he’s playing.

Also, bring lots of money. NYC is very expensive. And earplugs, haha.

Download that subway app, can’t remember what it’s called, and put $ on your Metro card.

Don’t get a taxi ride from a guy in a nice SUV.

Artichoke Pizza has some pretty good pizza.

guitarmoron likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Plan on 18 months if you want to really get a feel for the city.
    Oh and avoid all the tourist destinations like the plague.
    Except the museums, but they're not really full of tourists.

Milspec and guitarmoron like this.
  18. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good suggestions, regretfully Carnegie Deli closed a few years back. :(

StrangerNY and guitarmoron like this.
  19. Chanan

Chanan Tele-Meister

Check to see if the met is still hAving the rock and roll exhibit. I’ve heard there’s some amazing guitars there!

guitarmoron likes this.
  20. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1...when you go to Rockefeller Ctr and Wollman rink just take a stroll down 5th Ave. Nothin' as New York as 5th Ave at Christmas time.

jimash, StrangerNY and guitarmoron like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.