Any tips for distortion?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by StigNilsen, Feb 26, 2017.

1. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Maybe you should try another one. And if it doesn't work out, maybe I'll take it off your hands for you. You don't mind taking a huge loss on a pedal, do you?

Modman68 and bigben55 like this.
  2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Get a Mesa Boogie! I have always really liked my Mesa's distortion channel for full on distortion. I use a tube screamer when I just need a little OD. Nothing like good, tube amp distortion IMO.

@OP: Of course a new amp will run you quite a bit more than that $200 pedal you thought your wife would be made, so there's that :(

JustABluesGuy and StigNilsen like this.
  3. CK5150

CK5150 Tele-Meister

Another vote for Fulltone OCD - can get really gnarly and into Marshall territory with no problems

RLee77 likes this.
  4. Beni07

Beni07 TDPRI Member

I mostly use JCM Marshalls (mostly a combo) and it sounds amazing with my old Ibanez Mostortion. If I want less distortion I use the trusty old Tubescreamer.

5. since 1963

since 1963 Tele-Meister

For inexpensive and a very good sound, the Bad Monkey.

Agitator likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Find a local seller(s) and buy two distortion pedals and stack one into the other and don't run either above 50% on what their knobs do.
    A Boss DS-1 on it's own can be uninspiring to fizzy as they say, but stack two of them and they get pretty amazing. a DS-1 and MT-2 play well as a stack too. These pedals sell locally for super cheap because of their reputations, like under $25. You could get a DS-1 and try stacking it with other pedals you're running and get the tone you are after.

JustABluesGuy, StigNilsen and awasson like this.
  7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I love the Joyo Crunch Distortion into my Blues Deluxe. it's cheap too.
    the only "downside" is it has so much power on the volume knob on tap.
    unity must be at about 9 o'clock or so.

[​IMG]

8. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

I really enjoy my MI Super Crunchbox.
    It's variable compression setting allows it to be dialed in really quickly, especially if your amp can be a bit picky with pedals.

jvin248 likes this.
  9. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Tele-Meister

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion.......one of my all-time favorites.........$85.00 US new..........
    Excellent, often overlooked,pedal.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Boss DS-1. The distortion pedal that amateurs call "garbage" but has been on the pedal boards of more professionals (Prince, Kurt Cobain, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Glenn Frey, etc.) than just about any other pedal. And they're inexpensive and bulletproof.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Just got one of these and I think I like it more than my Rat!

https://reverb.com/item/3898077-barber-dirty-bomb

(Looking back at the thread I see the dirty bomb mentioned a few tims)

I'm using it with single coils on the "barber recommended setting for 80s metal" and it's so thick and crunchy with my tone knob up and roll the tone back on the guitar and it's gorgeous singing violin-ville. Especially when I smack it with my Gain Changer.

It's NOT too noisey or I'd sell it.

It's fine. Optimal even.

Like a rat but clearer and way thicker.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    awasson likes this.
  12. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Yeah, it definitely likes getting slapped around by a booster.

I have only ever noticed bad noise if I had the treble up all the way and had the gain in the last 1/4 of a turn... which is really to much on that pedal anyway.

Better to set the gain half to 2/3 and goose it with a mid-focused overdrive to get that 80's style nastiness. For punky stuff, I'd leave it at half.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Or on a budget, a clone of the OCD. Just got a BBE 427 that is really versatile (and affordable). I have the Eno Trouble OD, very good clone of the OCD. $30-ish. Had it for a few years now. This and the Donner Boos Killer to pump solos works great.

14. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Knee jerk response is a "RAT". Close second is Germanium "Fuzz Face", (If you put it first in the chain the fuzz will give nice clean roll off and face melting fuzz!)
    If you want to pony up for a new and spendier pedal, #1 choice would be Catlinbread "Katzenkonig", (Fuzz meshed with a Rat). Close #2 would be Bogner Burnley.

15. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

As others suggested, stacking pedals could get you there.
    OD-3 works well. Watch the bass, though. OD-3 into Rat on lower gain settings sounds good, too.
    I know the OP said he tried a Rat before and didn't like it. Stacking it with something else turns it into a different beast (or rat).
    I guess it's the typical EQ-ish effect of quite a few overdrives that chops off some bass and/or treble that focuses/smoothens out the sometimes spiky but delightfully raunchy Rat.
    Another fun combo I tried was a Danelecto Transparent Overdrive (gold) and a Danelectro Overdrive (silver). If it wasn't for the annoying knob position and the crappy switches, I might have ended my pedal search there ( suuuuuuuure)

16. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Where do you keep the internal and external bass knobs and where do you like your toggle?

17. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

It's been so long since I set the internal that I forget. I keep the external bass pretty high-3/4, treble-1/2 and gain-1/4. The toggle is in the middle.

I don't really use much high gain in my current project... it's just a nice, thick punchy piledriver. Makes my open 3x10 a little more closed 4x12 when I need it.

But you can find me at home every so often with baaaad metal on the tv, and that gain knob is a little higher and the spark is kicking in that nice little crispy edge that's needed for a proper rendition of "In your direction" by ratt.

I'll never admit to that in public, though... it's just between you and me.

songtalk likes this.
  18. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

19. StigNilsen

StigNilsen TDPRI Member

I have spent the last few days in bed due to what I can only assume is super-aids or another undiscovered illness sent to kill only me, and that has made me forget to see what's been going on here.

I am overwhelmed with the amount of answers and tips and it has given me a good few things to research.
    Much appreciated.
    As there are too many answers for m to have the patience of quoting it all I will just write a general answer to some of the things that repeats in your answers.

I own and constantly use a fulltone ocd (pretty sure I wrote it in one of the earlier posts) but on my Tele it just doesn't distort very much even on full drive.

I will go to a local shop and try every pedal that has come up here that is available (as soon as this black plague releases it's hold on my body).
    Quite a few of the suggestions has at some point been in my house but never really won a spot on my (small) board so I am looking forward to try stacking pedals and see if that gets me closer to where I need to be.

Again, thank you all for the help :)

20. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Cool! I've been:

Internal pot: 2, volume: 1, treble:9:30, bass: 4, gain: 1.

It sounds incredible. Tone knob up for thunderous crunch. Roll it back for singing sustain with nice snarly attack.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.