Any thoughts on this guitar? G&L ASAT Deluxe

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by SmartyPantzVA, Sep 24, 2021.

1. SmartyPantzVA

SmartyPantzVA TDPRI Member

I have been waiting for a Fender Professional II Telecaster Deluxe to come into one of our local music stores but, muh shortage....

Meanwhile this came up on Craigslist and it has gotten me really curious. I thought I'd tap the collective wisdom of this group for thoughts on this git particularly with regard to value and longer term value retention. As stated in the ad, this is a refinish - and a pretty one at that. Contemplating the 3.5 hour drive to see it.

Thanks in advance!
    B-rad

'75 Fender Telecaster Custom, Fender FSR Telecaster Custom w/P90s, 2014 Les Paul Traditional, 2003 Tom Anderson Drop Top Classic, Gretch Electromatic, Friedman Runt 20 but mostly running a Line6 Helix
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 7.39.10 AM.png 00w0w_8mKWlegUOOtz_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’d expect it to be about Fender US quality, no less, no more. Should be pretty nice.

The refin certainly won’t add any value, but it’s not a particularly valuable instrument like a 50s Strat or something, so I doubt it’ll lose value any more than it would’ve otherwise. Might be harder to sell down the road if more folks are into the classic look.

SmartyPantzVA and northernguitar like this.
  3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I get the gas...but it aint quite a Deluxe. Plus, if I had me eye on a Pro II, I'd be all over the Dark Night finished one...IMO, that may be one of the sweetest, sexiest looking finishes, ever.

[​IMG]

SmartyPantzVA likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

Seriously? I’d take an AmPro II straight to the luthier for a PLEK job and have the pickups upgraded right out of the gate. It’s already fixed. It’s got better hardware and pickups and the binding is sweet. Go play it. Who cares about the respray, guitars don’t gain value anyway. Looks cool too.
    G&L rocks.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

oh , with a natural finish , if I had the coin.

6. Winky

Winky Tele-Meister

I'd do it. I'll bet it's pretty sweet. Looks nice.

7. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted

G&L makes really quality stuff. Even their import line is excellent. And if you have the time and gas (er, "gasoline," not the other kind - you already have that), go see it. You might run across other stuff you fancy in the process. It's the journey, not the desination.

8. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

That is a really great looking guitar!

9. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

Being as how the G&L is already 10 years old, I don't see it losing much more, if any, value. In my experience, you get more guitar with a G&L than a Fender for the same money, especially used. It's a bit of a drive to try it, but if it fits your needs the drive is worth it. Plus, G&L makes some seriously amazing guitars.

Festofish likes this.
  10. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

It’s funny, I’ve been wanting a G&L for a long time. A friend of mine had a Comanche years ago and it was a wonderful guitar. I few months ago I found a G&L Dehany used at GC for a great price. It came in a few days and was like new, case candy and all! I set it up to my liking and it was just underwhelming and I can’t really say why. Played nice, looked incredible, pickups had their own thing going but I just didn’t dig it. Took it back and that pretty much killed my G&L gas. Now I have a Musicman gas!

11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Looks nice and G&L does good work. Like @naveed211 I consider USA G&Ls to be on par with USA Fenders - on-par with the American Standard/Professional/Pro II and the American Deluxe/Elite/Ultra. My concern with this one would be the quality of the refinish; it's probably at a stable value but if it were me I would offer a bit less than their asking price and try to negotiate.

When I think of an ASAT Deluxe though I think of one with a maple top, which I'm not sure if this one has based on the spec sheet (you can order them without the maple top).

naveed211 likes this.
  12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

G&L does great work. Most of their guitars I've seen and played have been right on par and in many cases better than their competition, and that includes their Tribute line of imports. Like any guitars out there, you need to sit down and play each one patiently and diligently until that right one finds you and bonds with you. And don't shun their imports....often-times they are real gems.

13. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Most of my guitars felt that way at first but I’ve learned that I’m a harsh critic. Now I give them a few weeks or months.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.