1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any thoughts on Fender acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by SixStringSlinger, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A couple years ago I was looking for an acoustic / electric. Looked at all the usual makers and was underwhelmed. Was in a music store and saw this Fender cd140sce. Didn't really take it seriously but picked it up. Amazing for a $300 guitar. Came back later just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. Bought it. It's been great for me as a guitar to just grab and noodle on.

I have also played some of the more expensive acoustics that Fender has come out with recently. I like them. Play them and decide for yourselves.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    savofenno likes this.
  2. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

I have two of them. An F65 from 1979 and a 1980 F5 that belonged to my father and I inherited. The F65 is well built and has good tone, but it doesn't project at all. The F5 is a bit heavier and a bit louder. The only real difference between the two is the amount of decoration, the F65 being 'prettier'. Both were made in Japan.

Can't say I'd recommend them highly. I'm looking lately at upgrading to a Taylor with a cutaway & pickup, but it's tough to part with a guitar you've owned since 79.

3. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Although I can't comment on Fender acoustics I will say that after my experience three years ago shopping for a Gibson that playing one guitar of the same model is not enough. With the J-45 I discovered that the tone varied significantly from one to the next.

4. Bonzo Moon

Bonzo Moon TDPRI Member

I’ve never been a big fan of Fender acoustics in general but I have seen a few gems. One I keep at my girlfriend’s house in Florida and call it my boat guitar. It plays good, sounds good and has a strat style headstock and if the boat motor dies, I can use it as an oar without worrying about ruining an expensive guitar.
    I also recently bought a Fender Malibu Alkaline Trio parlor acoustic for my girlfriend as her boat guitar and I’m really surprised at the build quality, playability and sound. Get one while you can. View attachment 538653

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  5. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

People on this forum has played a very long time and knows what works and doesn't. Why go against them? Epiphone, yamaha, takamine makes better guitars in the same price range.
    There is so many people here on this forum that is tied to the fender brand...but not even those have any love for the acoustic range.
    If you are sold on how they look....you could buy one and love it.....but then you didn't need our input....

6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I’ve got a Fender acoustic 12-string which I bought back in 2005, and I didn’t buy that because it’s a Fender or because I’m a Fender fanboy: I bought it because in the price range it was the loudest, brightest, sweetest sounding 12-string in the shop. No doubt I could have found a Taylor that played better but it would have cost substantially more than I could afford.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.