1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any thoughts on Fender acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by SixStringSlinger, Jul 13, 2018.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

So I've been shopping around for an acoustic. I posted a thread a while back and got a lot of good suggestions. I'm still shopping around and researching, but I got to thinking, does anyone have any thoughts on Fender acoustics? I'll have to try some out on my next round, but I'd like to hear others' opinions.

savofenno likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

As I have maintained since the 1960’s, they look cool, they sound “not much”.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    rjtwangs and Random1643 like this.
  3. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I can't speak to the new Fender acoustic line because they used to so poor that I just can't bring myself to pick one up to test drive it.

Random1643 likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

One acoustic that I regret not getting in the mid-seventies was a small-bodied, folk-style Fender acoustic. Slotted headstock (like a classical) and silk and steel strings. Really sweet sounding, but I was just out of college and had NO money .....

jannodude likes this.
  5. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

How are the strat-acoustic or tele-acoustic? I don't own any acoustics so how are these models for an electric player?

6. SixStringSlinger

This is not encouraging :lol: It's a shame, because they seem reasonably priced (on their face; again, I have yet to play any), plus an in-line headstock on an acoustic is odd but just right enough that it appeals to me.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

i think Fender actually manufactured acoustics at one time, but they now they contract hem from foreign makers and have for a long time ... please correct me if i'm wrong

8. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Most fender acoustics appear to be starter guitars and of good quality for that market. If wanted something better I'd get an Alvarez and if I wanted even better I'd get a Guild, Martin, Taylor, etc.

I've never played a strat/tele acoustic but doubt their overall sound. I think they look odd in my opinion.

srvbluezz likes this.
  9. SixStringSlinger

Never played one, but my understanding is that they were meant to be played plugged in by players unaccustomed to "normal" acoustic guitars, and the Tele/Strat shape-gimmick was an extension of that.

EDIT: *Plugged in and standing. In other words, play it just like you'd play your Strat/Tele and get an acoustic tone out of it.

srvbluezz likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The newer acoustic/electric models sound fine, pugged in.
    They are easy to play and look nice, too.
    Acoustically, they are pretty average.
    Not much bottom end, or projection.
    The in line headstock helps with tuning stability.
    There ARE things to like about them.
    If acoustic sound is important, look elsewhere.
    If you are going to plug it in and gig, giver er’!

11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I try not to think about them.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My first acoustic was an A/E cutaway Fender Malibu. I have to give it credit for getting me where I am today with it's almost strat like fast neck. With that said, that was then and this is now, and I would suggest a guitar that fits your style of music, because there is a whole bunch of guitars in every price range thinkable that are pretty darn descent. Knowing what I know now, I would avoid Fender acoustics.

13. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

I recently played one of their parlor guitars (can’t remember the model # but it’s the one that retails for $399) and I thought it was horrible - sharp fret ends, incredibly high action, etc. I wouldn’t have expected it to be flawless at that price point, but I wouldn’t have paid $50 for that guitar with the condition it was in.

14. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

They are quite well built... maybe overbuilt, which could explain why they aren't famous for their vibrant tone. Lately Fender has been focusing on them more, and I've played some that sounded pretty good. I would probably choose a Yamaha or Alvarez over them. I do want to get a Sonoran or Newporter some day, just because think the Strat headstocks look way cool.

As for the Stratacoustic/Teleacoustic, I had one. It sounded good plugged in and played like an electric. I used it for practicing or just noodling when I didn't want to disturb others... they aren't very loud. And as long as you are not stuck on the notion that an acoustic guitar should sound like a Martin or Taylor,... or even a $200 Yamaha, they don't sound awful, they are just not very loud and are rather thin sounding.

15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I can't speak for the newer Fender acoustics other than the few I've randomly played over the years, none of which stood out to me in any way. I do have an early 90's Fender San Luis Rey, part of their MIK California series, that I bought new old stock in 1994. It's been my main acoustic for the better part of those 25 or so years. I learned to play and write on it, played my first gigs, recorded an album, and toured the UK with it. I can leave it out on the stand in the living room, pick it up a month or six months later and it's still in tune and plays/sounds just like it always has.

Is it as good sounding and playing as my Gibson? Nope. But it's a nice guitar that's held up and held its own for a very long time, and I expect it will continue to do so for a very long time.

AngelDeville likes this.
  16. Esprit

Esprit TDPRI Member

I recently bought a limited edition Paramount PM3 which I'm really pleased with so far; All solid woods with Adirondack spruce top, ebony board, bridge and tuner buttons, scalloped bracing, vintage style open tuners, a 'proper' 3 a side headstock, nice cosmetics with checkerboard purfling, very tidy fretboard inlays and fishman electronics. Nice hardcase and humidifier included! These are a different level to the usual run of beginner models they offer.

brbadg likes this.
  17. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

i have never been a fan of fender acoustic guitars or telecoustics - then i saw Steve Winwood live and saw him use what i thought was a telecoustic - turns out it was a nylon string

tele custom thinline and he sounded great - the telecoustic i once tried to play sounded awful ... so maybe it wasn't the guitar ... hmmmmm ... why does the phrase don't blame the

arrows, blame the archer come to mind ?

upload_2018-7-17_17-34-55.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    savofenno likes this.
  18. fstempleton

fstempleton Tele-Meister

I think it's a lot like buying a tele - it's possible to get a lot more guitar for your money if you shop carefully and buy used. I swapped my '97 tele for a '92 Martin in late May...

19. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

runaway!

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

In fairness, cheap imported guitars are better than they used to be. But I still wouldn't go near a Fender when there are so many great North American guitars around.

If I were shopping, depending on how much I could spend, I'd look for a good used Larrivee in the $750-$2k range, a U.S. Guild in the $750-$1,500 range, or a Seagull in the $200-$500 range.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.