Any thoughts on a Set Neck Tele??

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Atlantamm, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Atlantamm

Atlantamm TDPRI Member

I have a great set neck being built for me, Was wondering if it would work well on a Tele build? Any thoughts on the issue?

Thanks

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fender has put out a few set-neck teles over the years ... they seem to work just fine !!! just more labor-intensive and expensive ... [​IMG]

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I was hoping to do a set neck tele for the tele contest this year, but, alas, I'm not financially able to purchase the wood in time. The rules this year state, "no late entries". I was counting on being able to enter on or after the start date.
    But I will eventually build one, regardless. Musicians Friend had a set neck model made for them by Fender a few years ago. Dual Dimarzio humbuckers, mahogany body, carved top and set neck. Kind of an LP inspired tele. Would have loved to have had one, but was unable to purchase it at that time.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The current FMT HH Tele has a set neck:

[​IMG]

So does the JA-90:

[​IMG]

5. vtcyclist

vtcyclist Tele-Afflicted

I agree with gitlvr. I prefer the look of a set neck. I've been scheming for some time about a guitar that is a cross between a LP and Tele. Using the preference I have from both to make one guitar that I still would not be able to play any better than I can now. :D

Look up Spalted Maple Special Edition Telecaster for a set neck tele that is currently in the stores.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

maybe i don't understand the process, but i thought you just need to start a build thread on march 1st in the new forum saying that you are entering the contest. then when you get the wood you post a picture with the wood and whatever else the mods want written on a sheet of paper. you don't have to own the wood on march 1st or post a picture of it on that date, you just have to start a thread on that day. am i wrong?

7. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Re-read the rules.In order to enter the contest, you must post a thread with a picture of all the raw wood you'll be using in the build, which you'll date and treat in whatever manner Paul has decided will be used to prove you began on that date.

8. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

That's the way I took that post. I'd love to find that it's not the case. It would give me the opportunity to participate.
    The attitude seems to be, "that's the way it is. If that's a problem for you, too bad". They have every right to do that, and I'm not complaining. But it excludes me, and I'm willing to bet it'll exclude a lot of others as well. Too bad, because I've waited for the last couple of years, hoping to get the chance to participate.

9. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

I think if you start your thread by the correct date, but don't post your wood pics til later, nobody is going to give you hassle. There is no advantage to having less time to complete your guitar (not having the wood on March 1), so I say go for it. As one of the judges, I won't hold it against you :)

10. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

first, i apologize for high-jacking the thread... i am thinking about building a set neck tele for the contest though.

gitlvr--- paul answered this question here: "No, you don't have to have the wood on 3/1. Just start a thread by 3/1."

11. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

12. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Volovw, thanks for that link. That rocks! I had a problem figuring out how to do a video of myself, and thought that was going to stop me. Then someone posted a web cam off Amazon.com for like six bucks. I won't be getting one from Amazon, but I should be able to find one locally for $10 or $15. Big Lots, maybe. Since I've got my mixer plugged into my computer, and Windows Movie Maker, I thought, "got it covered." Then I realised I wouldn't be able to get my wood until later. Looks like that big red light just turned green!

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got a Squire set neck "Tele" MIK.. '06 maybe... with gibbo type set up.. short scale ..nice

semi hollow, mahogany, set neck... HB's...

immaculate finish and a great player...

I lent it to a mate of mine... he's a gibbo sort of guy..;)

and can workout all the extra dial settings...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

I've just finished building a set neck lefty for an old friend. I was surprised by how easy it was. So much easier than a bolt on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also commissioned a set neck Tele/LP hybrid from http://www.benfordguitars.com/ last year, which I absolutely love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

I love the look of all the fiddles posted here....but I guess to me a set neck and dual buckers does not scream "Telecaster" to me.....it says odd shaped Les Paul. That Spalted Maple HH really speaks to me with the rear controls....but I wish you could get it with standard Tele singles in it.....but then again that is why I have cherry and spalted maple in the garage waiting for my lazy butt to get started on my build project :)

16. eshuffle

eshuffle Tele-Meister

Thanks Jack......I learned alot of great things reading your threads. Along with many others on this board. They have helped me out alot. I appreciate your vote of confidence......Ken

17. Harvester

Harvester TDPRI Member

i'm a big fan of setnecks ( i'm a big fan of bolt ons too - don't get me wrong ) ...

the latest tele inspired guitar that i built has a 3.5" tenon.

thread here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

obviously it ain't all 'tele' but then it is built like a Gibson ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i don't build them this way because i think it sounds better or 'is' better in some way but there is a very noticeable difference to the feel of the guitar.

i love the 'connectedness' of a set neck instrument.

[​IMG]

it's definitely worth doing as a project!

cheers, AP

18. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

I see by your pics that you have fine taste in speakers as well.
    Gotta love the Belle's.

19. Harvester

Harvester TDPRI Member

ha ha ...my bass player friend found them beside the road one rainy night and needed somewhere to park them - ie: harvester world headquarters. they're ( Belle Klipsch ) very rare here in Australia ( can you imagine the shipping ? :eek: )

he traded them for a very small set of some very esoteric ( can't remember what ... ) British speakers and now his house seems a lot bigger and his wife a lot happier.

cool sound - surprisingly subtle and intimate for speakers the size of a good pub PA system.

cheers, AP

20. MUSEfenderTAMA

MUSEfenderTAMA Tele-Meister

I like the set necks on teles, especially when they are not traditional in the electronics department.

Set necks perfectly balance the most perfect qualities of fender & gibson!!!
    Looks like a lot of fun. Go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.