Any thoughts on a Kustom 12 Gauge Lead 16 watt for a back up amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FortyEight, Sep 24, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Someone selling it on facebook near me.

The specs say 12" speaker (althought the magnet looks kind of small) and has a external out....

There is not much info on da youtube out there. I am trying to have a back up amp to my vox cambridge for when and if it acts up. (it did a couple of times and now it's fine... LOL)

Comes with a mic stand which I could use for 50 bucks. Apparently someone passed away and he inherited it and doesn't play guitar.

I'm not sure if I should throw my money at it or not but it has me sort of intrigued like it could possibly have a good sound??? I'm gonna go play it today.

Curious what the thoughts are on sound or quality, pass or no pass... jump on it, run away? LOL.

Money is tight so I only want to spend even that small amount if it's a decent amp. Cuz otherwise I will put it towards something else.

There are a few more around me that are intriguing. Fender Champ 20 for 70 bucks. (I'm not sure I'm in love with the sound of this one from what I've seen on youtube)

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Might sound ok with a couple pedals, but, if you have the Cambridge 50
    it might sound a tad wimpy as backup. imho
    Wish you luck.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That was my first dedicated guitar amp. I paid something like $90 new.

It put out sound. Pretty flat sound without much character. I found the drive tones unusable. And the reverb/delay thing wasn't really useable either.

Every amp I've had was better than that one (except a little $10 practice amp that someone gave me - it's my bench amp).

But, I've learned a lot about tone since then. I expect that the 12 gauge would take pedals pretty well. Something like a joyo american sound might give it a little more character.

FWIW, it handled my P-Bass pretty well, too. Lots of good low end.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure it's worth $50. For a backup or practice amp it would probably be fine. But it's not something a serious player would be interested in.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Backup for what? Do you gig or just a backup in case your other amp breaks and you just want something to noodle around on if that ever happens?

If you gig, I might recommend something that can go straight to PA as a backup. Something like a POD or whatever. Cheap, light, portable, can fit in your gig bag or pedal case.

6. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Well right now I'm just recording and if I get together with the guys.

I think I might be better off spending money on a distortion pedal for my Fender rumble as my Back up amp. Or keep saving for something better...... It's tempting though.

I will probably still go check it out.... LOL. Who knows. I'm a sucker for used stuff but at the same time if it's junky I'd rather keep that money for something else.

7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

So I went there and the amp wouldn't turn on. He gave it to me for free. Plus an old beat up mic stand (which can be useful) and a microphone that he said thinks is a harmonica mic. It's tagged Hohner. Blue metal with a chrome retro looking screen. I'll see if my phone works for pics.

I figure I got two options. Try and fix the amp. Or get a head for it and use the cabinet and speaker for now and eventually put a new speaker in depending how I like the sound of it with whatever head I get.

I like that second idea. Sometimes the orange micros come up cheap. Or I could try the Vox MV. OR something....

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If it were free, I'd pass...

9. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

LOL. That bad ha? Well I have other things I can do with it. I teach guitar to a few students and I know one of them wants a better amp. Hers is one of these super cheap ones that is pretty bad. If I could get it to work. Her Dad is actually an electrical engineer so he may be able to fix it... LOL.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.