Any T. C. Boyle fans?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rand z, Mar 25, 2020.

1. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I'm a big T.C. Boyle fan.

I don't love all of his work, but do enjoy most of it.

I believe my fav is "Tortilla Curtain" with "Budding Prospects" close behind.

IMO, many of his stories have bizarre twist's that bounce between varied ideal's.

Always thought provoking.

Harry, Mike Eskimo and cravenmonket like this.
  2. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

Water Music: one of the funniest books I ever read

Bendyha and Mike Eskimo like this.
  3. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

I loved Tortilla Curtain, and Drop City was also very good.

Just finished Outside Looking In a few months ago, too. It's not up to his very highest standard, but I was already interested in the subject matter, (Leary, Alpert, and the psychedelic pioneers of the early 1960s) and it was quite a fun read.

rand z likes this.
  4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Largely unfamiliar with his work, but I remember loving East is East when I read it many moons ago. If I remember it was one of those books that was funny and heartbreaking in equal measure which is kind of my sweet spot.

rand z likes this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Great great writer.

Thanks for reminding me. He’s been so prolific I have some catching up to do.

rand z likes this.
  6. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely. I read them all.

rand z likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Not familiar. I've gone to Amazon for several books and authors mentioned here....I'll go there now. Are the titles mentioned above the best to start with?

8. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never read his stuff but this thread reminded me of him. I remember that he was a SUNY Potsdam alumni. I should check him out.

rand z likes this.
  9. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I started with "Budding Prospects" years ago, an early effort, and went on...

He has a lot of short story compilations that are also good reads.

Actually, he was a Professor at USC. (He has a Doctorate from University of Iowa

10. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Being a native of Battle Creek, MI, I always wanted to read the Road to Wellville. I remember when the movie came out and the town was up in arms at the portrayal of Dr. Kellogg.

rand z and nojazzhere like this.
  11. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I second this one. Water Music is a serious work of literature that is seriously funny.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Great movie!

Yes, I'm sure Boyle took a lot of liberties with his story on Kellogg.

He always does in his books.

For those looking for non-fiction... look somewhere else.

Like Mark Twain, Boyle seems to believe the idea that "never let the truth get in the way of a great story."

Bellacaster and Lawdawg like this.
  13. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

The book is > the movie

rand z likes this.
  14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

My favorite explanation of this philosophy is from Oakley Hall's introduction to Warlock which is his retelling of the shootout at the OK Coral:

"By combining what did happen with what might have happened, I have tried to show what should have happened."

rand z and Bellacaster like this.
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

He lives pretty near me and has become a friend. He wrote, "When the Killing is Done", which is a fiction that draws upon the true story of eradicating feral pigs from Santa Cruz Island and restoring its native ecosystem. SCI is one of the Channel Islands off of southern California.

One of the main characters in the novel is largely based on my wife, who was the main leader of the successful effort to restore the native ecosystem including bald eagles and the Santa Cruz Island Fox. I always have to let it be known that the schmuck boyfriend of the main character is NOT based on me. :)

He has a strong interest in how humans run up against the environment, and how this triggers conflict and strife. In this story he pits animal rights activists against the ecosystem restoration effort-- which really happened. My wife was getting death threats and dealt with a lot of ugly stuff....

I wouldn't be surprised if this pandemic becomes fuel for his next project. He is extremely disciplined and prolific, churning out short stories and novels at a blistering pace. He is frequently featured in the New Yorker and other top magazines. In person he is very funny, very kind, and all around a great guy. Even though he is usually the most widely knowledgeable and accomplished person in any room, he never fails to be humble and interested in what everyone else has to say.

Here's a cool video story by NPR on what actually happened. My lovely spouse, Lotus Vermeer, is one of the featured people in the video--that tells the tangled story of fishes, eagles, pigs, and WWII.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  16. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I prefer TC Matic :cool:

17. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

That was WONDERFUL!

Thank you so much!

(BTW, a TC Boyle story placed in the Finger Lakes region of NY where the locals are trying to preserve the natural beauty of the area against the tourists and corporate wineries coming up from NYC/NJ, might be interesting.

It is truly a gorgeous place and extremely romantic with all of the lakes and vineyards. And, the locals are an interesting group of earthy, but savvy folk's who dabble in the arts' along with farming grapes. Many of them live on, and farm, the land grants their forefather's received as restitution for fighting in the Revolution.

Toss in Cornell and the increasing number of Amish that are moving there from PA, and you have a lot of possibilities for a great story... and movie.)

18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

That has to be one of the all time coolest and most interesting posts in TDPRI history!

Most of the professional musicians I've met have been less interesting than their work and personas. Authors, on the other hand, tend to be some of the most interesting and fascinating. Back in my college days in Illinois I ended up hanging out at my local bar with a group that included Richard Powers, another brilliant and prolific author. If I recall, and my memory is fuzzy as all get out, he ended up talking about horse racing and betting in almost encyclopedic but fascinating and entertaining detail. Powers' novel The Gold Bug Variations is still on my short list of all-time favorites.

rand z likes this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't they already make that movie?

upload_2020-3-26_7-49-58.png

rand z likes this.
  20. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

It was been 20 years since I've had any opportunities to see him do live readings, but he's one of the finest performers of literature I've ever encountered. If he's doing a reading near you, go see him. (George Saunders is another great reader...)

I've taught high school English for many years and once had a great time discussing one of his short stories that I used to teach ("Greasy Lake") with him.

rand z likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.