Any Star Wars fans here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyO, Nov 12, 2019.

1. BobbyO

BobbyO TDPRI Member

What do you folk think about Disney's current trilogy? A lot of murmurs recently about reshoots, is that a sign that the next movie is going to be awful? The Last Jedi certainly was, they ruined Luke Skywalker. :(

bcorig, southpaw185 and Antmax like this.
  2. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's

Isn't that a space movie or something?

I think I saw it in '77 or thereabouts.

3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I was a huge fan of the originals as a kid. Liked Rogue One and Solo more than the prequels and sequels, personally. Studios have reshoots on everything these days so I don’t know that’s much to worry about. I’m still off to see Rise of Skywalker as soon as it’s out.

Antmax and gridlock like this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

There are more than these three Star Wars movies? These VHS versions were the last without all the cgi muppets.

I love the spartan storytelling and settings in the original originals. Just movies... not franchises.

Rogue One was closest to capturing it of the recent stuff.

91F2C445-B1EA-461C-A8C0-C8087BB13C16.jpeg

Unless you like this kind of stuff...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    DonM, southpaw185, Macrogats and 5 others like this.
  5. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I consider myself a Star Wars fan, but the last few years I’ve developed some fatigue. I liked Rogue One a lot, Force Awakens was good, Last Jedi was....odd, didn’t even bother with Solo. No interest in The Mandalorian. I have high hopes for Rise of Skywalker.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I don't like the Disney trilogy so far (The Last Jedi was a particularly horrid piece of filmmaking), but I thought Rogue One and Solo were the two best Star Wars movies since 1977. Unlike most, I think Empire was a relatively weak film and Return of the Jedi was better than it (though still not anywhere near as great as Star Wars was).

7. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

I’m a huge fan. The only one I’m not fussed on is the last Jedi. The mandalorian looks promising.

I’ve met David Prowse(vader), Jeremy Bulloch(Boba Fett) and Kenny Baker(R2D2) in comic con a few years ago.

Boba Fett was my fave character as a kid. Loved talking to Jeremy Bulloch about the character. He agreed with me that there’s enough intrigue to warrant a stand alone film for that character. He noticed I had a Lego Boba Fett on my keys, he pulled out his keys and showed he had the same on his lol Kid me would have exploded with joy!

Piggy Stu likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm another fan of the original first 3 Star Wars. I have no idea what's going on with it now. I watched a newer one about 2 years ago on release. It was ok but confusing. Not as entertaining and enjoyable as the first one.

Shuster, Fretting out and RyCo1983 like this.
  9. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I like it and as a popular culture lecturer I keep abreast. When I was 10 I saw a new hope and it was my favourite film.

Over time I saw its weaknesses. And i enjoy them all really but the prequels I didn’t.

I prefer the non-series like solo and the side stories.

But I do enjoy the discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

bsman, TeleTucson, Nubs and 14 others like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Definitely one of the recent Wilco records I need to catch up on (they’re a little too overly-prolific if you ask me)
    976FE585-941C-4520-A375-6456C9F31D6F.jpeg

MilwMark, Lawdawg and drf64 like this.
  12. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i used to like it when the force was a good life metaphor and something you could believe in; being a jedi was an aspiration. then they invented midichlorians, so jedis are just genetic mutants now.
    pffft

13. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

I love me some Star Wars. Every one of those movies has something to nitpick about but overall I can watch any of them. Though I did get a bit tired of the god damn trade wars in the prequels.
    Rogue One and Solo were pretty awesome, The Force Awakens was amazing. I think The Last Jedi suffered from the overwhelming success of Awakens and Rogue One, they’re we’re hard to live up to, but I ultimately enjoyed it. I’ll be there on opening night for the new one, I’ve made it kind of a tradition with my son.

14. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Lawdawg likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

There is a lot of drama going on over there at Disney because of how they mishandled this last trilogy.

They have audience tested six different endings for this next movie due out in December and none of them worked. Significant reshoots, well beyond "business as usual".

Clearly appears that Disney thought they bought a children's franchise, and treated it as such with Story and directors-in-training while rubbing their paws together anticipating toy sales, when the core fans are an adult demographic seeking high quality story telling. Those core fans normally view the movie several times in the theater but when told Disney is not making movies for them they left ... along with their ticket purchasing power that often extends into a loss of an entire family ticket block. So they are not making just one fan mad they are snipping two to four or five tickets at a time.

The most recent victims are the Game Of Thrones writers who were set up for a Star Wars trilogy that is now canceled.

New head of the Star Wars franchise at Disney has been put in to fix the mess.

Drama. The story behind the scenes over there is better than watching movies. Check out Youtube, I won't add those links, they are easy to find.

This is an independent crew that remade the ending to the 1977 Star Wars with a limited budget. Disney could produce this kind of work. Watch it in full screen if you can to feel the anger and power that emanates through the scene.

eclecticsynergy and bgmacaw like this.
  16. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

Disney messed it up by hiring JJ Abrams.

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Star Wars, meh...

I'm looking forward to the fourth season of The Expanse in December.

Verne Bunsen likes this.
  18. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Our Bass player is a huge star wars fan.
    I call him Obi Tom Kenobi.
    He's a good guy.

19. BobbyO

BobbyO TDPRI Member

I just hope JJ fixes things for the next movie but I'm being slightly optimistic I think.

20. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Wow that’s odd must be a uk version I have that box set from 95 it was my childhood growing up but the tapes are in cardboard sleeves the outer box that holds the 3 tapes is the same though
    Cool

I don’t believe in Star Wars past the first 3 movies

Saw the one in theaters around 1999 or so and didn’t like it haven’t watched a new one since

I think when they play it on tv with a the cgi creatures and such it’s abysmal

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.