Any songwriters here?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by mrboson, Aug 27, 2015.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

So very true...

Attached Files:

2. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

hahahaha!

but where's the Oh's and the Ah's :)

3. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I think the songwriter left room for some spontaneity.

4. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Yep BMI on performance rights here.

5. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Hey how did you know the lyrics to the song I just wrote? The inspiration must be great in this song.

6. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

We do a lot of original stuff in my circles.
    Some of the local songwriters here in Birmingham all personal friends I work with from time to time.
    Shawn Lombard

Jeff and Susann Whatley

Ben Pazley

Caleb Hughes

Can fill the page with stuff like this coming out of Birmingham Alabama right now. This ain't the same ol 3 chord drivel that has no meat in the lyrics you see in the flavor of the week commercial pop so called worship!
    There is a SOUND coming out of Birmingham can you hear it?? It's a call of the warrior it's a groaning of the spirit it's a FIRE that's growing can you feel it??
    We going to crack the heavens and shake the EARTH!

7. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I do. More Christian "perspective" songs than worship proper, but enjoy writing either way.

8. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

chorus contest:

We could have a chorus writing contest. You are allowed only 4 chords and 2 Bible verses... ready... go. :D

9. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

If slash chords don't count, what would I do with the extra 2 chords?

10. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

Let's do it! :D

11. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I'll start it off.... first two bars of the chorus:

Code:
    G /  /  /                 |   C2 /  /  /
    Whoah .. Oh..  Oh..  Oh   |

Any key you want. Just move the capo.

12. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

13. elihu

Well, I didn't say I was good at it. ;)

But I'd love to hear some more of y'alls original songs with a Christian perspective. I listen to a lot of Christian music and I gotta say most seems pretty far removed from my experience. I'm not putting it down, understand, but who lives with anthems as the soundtrack for their lives?

14. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I've taken a stab at it. I don't care to try and write strictly worship music because there's so much of it and while it serves a great purpose, nobody needs or wants to hear my three chord attempts at it.
    Instead, I've tried to write some Christian folk and pop for entertainment purposes only.
    I've had a few winners (so I'm told) and a lot of dogs.

15. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Been a while since I have done much that I recorded. Have a book of stuff I have written though.
    Here is an older one done totally solo in my old home studio.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1886878
    And one I wrote about an old friend who killed several in a drug induced rage. Afterward he called me from jail broken crying and telling me can't remember anything did I really do this?? Can't remember anything about that night but every-time I go to sleep have the dreams and hear the screams did I really kill them?
    Recorded this with my old band in our practice space on an ADAT mid 1990's and it was never published.
    https://app.box.com/s/vu8kv51ao3gusovf4cpo09zyib9140pq
    And another of my old Songs written for Ascension mid 1990's recorded the same way.
    https://app.box.com/s/f5k83m22wuzcwshwo53mc7g2k69mh5xu
    For the 1st time in many years at the new Church I have an outlet for my originals so will hopefully have some performance clips to post soon.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  16. elihu

Theophobia totally rocks-for a minute i thought how cool it was that Klaus Meine and Michael Schenker were on the board. Seriously, I love the nasally snarl of a V and you play it well Ascension. I wish my rock sounds had that level of skill.

Rockdog49, I love dogs...got three (all rescued) and all great. I'd probably like your dogs...er, songs too. Post 'em up if you got links. We need a songwriting thread-encouragement and all that.

Anyone else? Black Doug, you out there?

17. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Hahaha! I wish we had a LIKE button. :lol: I see that all the time!

I've taken songwriting classes at the local Vineyard and really enjoy writing. Do a search for "new song" in The Book. It's mentioned nine times. I think a subject mentioned that many times must be important. :D

Always have a notebook and pencil handy because you never know when you will get an idea for a lyric. Even just a couple of lines to start can lead to a complete song.

Find something that inspires you to write. For me, that is poetry or pastor's sermon. He may say something that strikes me or makes my mind picture something. So, I write that down. Then another. And another. By the end of the sermon, I'll have a page full of lines that can be used for writing a lyric about the subject.

If you really want to get bitten by the song writing bug, write a song a day for one month. Even something simple or trite. Elton John once said that he has written over 100,000 songs and most of them suck. There is a lot of composing truth in that. But when you hit a gem, look out!

18. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

The man currently serving as leadership board chair at my former church once told the congregation that it was in the Bible hundreds of time to sing new songs... when I got home and looked it up I found the phrase "sing(singing, sang) a new song" 5 times in Psalms (33, 96, 98, 144, 149), 1 in Isaiah (42), and 1 when the angels are singing a new song in Revelations 5. Add to that the Psalm 40 reference to the "new song in my mouth," and a 2nd Revelations reference (14) to a new song and you've got your 9. Shall we notify Webster's that hundreds now equals 7-9? :p

19. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my take on songwriting:

Please pray that we can get back to writing. Its been a couple of years since and by myself is just not the same. Thanks.

20. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

A lot of new stuff I have to play I call ambient sadness... I like it when they write bold and happy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.