Any slide players?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ruger9, Feb 28, 2010.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

thanks for posting this lesson by the master. i dig that tone since i am 18 years old.
    besides that: i use very thick brass slides. i also have a überheavy steel slide, that i got for a birthdaypresent once. i use that a lot too. i stepped down a bit with strings to 12-52 and use open e. high action, stratocaster guitar.

2. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

For more slide playing . . . do look into Chris Whitley (RIP)

Even Jack White of the White Stripes is a good aggro slide player.

PS : also look into Eric Sardinas.

I have all the slide types, and i like them all - copper being my fav. (the Dunlop Eric Sardinas sig slide)

3. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Open G for me :twisted:

4. SpaceyBen

SpaceyBen Tele-Meister

I love my Coricidin bottles and open G tuning:)

5. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for all the suggestions & tips. I won't be raising my action; I don't have a "dedicated slide guitar", and I can't afford on right now. I would be willing to re-tune an electric for slide tho. On another forum I see quite a few people actually play in standard tuning... in the past, I've ONLY tried to play in standard tuning, and it's a b1tch. I know where the notes are, but it's so hard to do anything with them, with a slide.

6. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

+100 I am a huge fan of Chris Whitley........Big Sky Country...... is a must have,,,,imho

7. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

I prefer heavy stainless steel. I like the weight because I dont have to press down hard.That allows me to play slide with normal action.That said I do like my action a little on the high side. I pretty much stay with open G...DGDGBD

8. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

Ian's slides are the best slides on the planet.
    Heck of a nice guy too, he frequently posts on the BRB board.

Check out some of BottleneckJohn's stuff on youtube, think you'll like it.

Wally

9. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

+1 on Diamond Bottlenecks.

Ian made me the green glass one in this pic. Its from a wine bottle and it fits me perfectly. Lovely tone too, especially on a resonator.

[​IMG]

I have slides all over the house, I use different material on different guitars.

The others are a heavy brass one, and an old socket tube.

I also have a RockSlide, which is a nice internally tapered one.

10. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Just an old-n'-heavy length of copper.

Steve

11. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

Brass on bright guitars, glass on everything else.

I use standard tuning, because i'm lazy

12. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Used a chrome steel slide when I got started. Too harsh sounding for my tastes. Been using a beer bottle brown glass slide for 20-25 years now. I don't know what I'd do if that one went missing.
    D F

13. Boondock Dave

Boondock Dave TDPRI Member

For a guitar with low action, it's all about the weight of the slide. Too light, and it sounds crappy. Too heavy, and makes the strings touch the frets.
    You have to experiment. You need to put very light pressure on the strings, so start heavy and go to a lighter bottleneck if necessary.
    For standard tuning, concentrate on strings 4, 3, and 2. (Think of an A chord form.) Once you can get a good sound on those, you're on your way.

14. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I played for years with just one guitar set up for fingering & slide -- the trick I used was to put a .10 set on it but use an .11 for the top E. Medium-high action, tuned to open E. It doesn't matter what kind of slide you use as long as you're comfortable with it.

The thing that's hardest about slide is muting & damping. Palm mutes & even pinkie mutes to kill unwanted strings, plus you want to damp behind the slide to keep overtones down -- except when you want to let it ring.

15. tele-martini

tele-martini Tele-Afflicted

going with an .011 for high e-string sounds like an excellent idea. I find the .010 rings a little to high and bright on my slide guitars what ever the slide is made of. I'm going to try this right away.:cool:

16. Stephen Hall

Stephen Hall TDPRI Member

I know it's been said before but Ian McWee's Diamond Bottlenecks from Merry Ol' England are a great company to look into. My wife bought a custom domed lead crystal slide from him last winter for me for Valentine's Day. It is the best slide I own! It has a very clear and soft tone. Jeff Beck has supposedly switched to them now as well. I also prefer Open E tuning for the slide. God Bless!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  17. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I like guitars without neck pickups for slide - Esquires, Juniors, etc. Roll off a little volume and a little tone and turn the amp up!

Acousticglide brass slides are my fave, but nothing beats the half-empty beer bottle trick.

18. teleman65

teleman65 Tele-Holic

Best thing I can suggest for slide playing is to put away your guitar pick and use your fingers.

19. BentheMighty

BentheMighty Tele-Meister

Man I have so much fun playing slide. I think everyone buys a slide sometime in their life just for fun. But seriously, try an open tuning. I read how Ry Cooder uses different open tunings and Rory Gallagher used open D alot. Whether he really did or not that's what got me experimenting and man I find myself having such a ball. It really simplifies things for the slide work. I haven't messed much with really out there chord voicings yet, I've just been doing the bar across the frets to make the regular chords and still, it's a blast.

20. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Ad Free Member

No!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.