Any Sewell Amp owners here?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texsunburst59, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I've been opening for alot of big Texas country artists lately, and its seems the the most of the guitarists amp of choice is a Sewell. Pat Green, Kevin Fowler, Randy Rogers,Roger Craiger,Deryl Dodd, and a few other are using the babies. I've been a Fender guy for a LONG time and have never owned a boutique amp before, but I think I might pull the trigger on a used one. I got a lead on a Texaverb 50 2x12 combo that a guy has owned for only 3 months and is in mint condition. I think I'm going to go for it. Is there any Sewell amp owners on the forum? Here's some pics of the amp I'm going to get.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. marc sosnoff

marc sosnoff Tele-Holic

i have only heard good things about them never see one used for sale
    so people must like them

3. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

If it sounds half as pretty as it looks, you're going to be very happy.

:)

4. NickDanger

NickDanger Tele-Meister

I have a couple and really like them a lot. I never tried the Jensen Neo's though.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  5. hal

hal Tele-Afflicted

I want to know about this Texaverb. Did you buy it? Anybody else out there? What is the tube setup? Thanks.

6. Texsunburst59

Hey Hal, that deal fell through and I ended up getting a Texaverb 25, which is a Deluxe Reverb on steriods. I also to a Sewell Blistertone 35 head which is a High-Gain Vox/Marhall type amp that runs on 4 El-84's. I realized after about 2 months of REALLY trying to bond with the amp,it wasn't going to work for me.I guess I'm not a EL-84 overdrive guy. I'm a 6V6,6L6, or El-34 type of guy. I sold the Blistertone,but I still have the Texaverb 25. If you already don't know, Doug Sewell no longer builds amps. He now works full time with Paul Reed Smith Guitars. He's supposed to use his designs and incorporate them into some New PRS amps in the future. If your curious,I've got some clips of the Texaverb 25 in action. By the way, the Texaverb 25 came loaded with 6L6's,but it can run 6V6's and El-34's by rebiasing the amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=633883&songID=6366151
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=633883&songID=6341222

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. anacephalic

anacephalic Tele-Meister

I heard the second guitar player for James McMurtry and the Heartless Bastards use one of those texaverb 25s through a single 12 using a PRS guitar. That was the moment i understood the term milkshake smooth tone. It just killed. Bummer that Sewell quit builting. It explains why i've been having trouble tracking down his amps. I was really interested in a Wampus Cat 1x15

8. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

I did not know that about Doug. I asked Doug once if I could apprentice with him on his amps - he declined. Doug just lives a couple of miles from me.

I did not that Doug and Paul had been really buddy-buddy for the past couple of Dallas Guitar Shows.

I once came across a PRS amp at a guitar store in Austin. Apparently, Paul tried his hand at amps and abandoned them for some reason. The amp I saw was virtually a prototype, but looked like a production amp. Paul did good to recruit Doug. Doug really knows amp tweaks. He built an awesome amp for my friend Rob Hunt.

I wonder if Doug is relocating to MD? I thought he had a very stable job with TI.

9. Texsunburst59

Hey Reverbbb, I talked to Doug about 2 weeks ago when I had question about different power tubes and biasing my amp. I also congratulated him on his move. He said he hasn't gotten everything it order yet to be able to leave the engineering firm yet. He is very excited about working with PRS. I really glad for Doug cause he's a top notch guy, and deserves this step up. :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  10. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Was that one of the solid state PRS amps at Guitar Rez like...15 years ago? I remember that half-stack sat there forever.

11. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

That must be the one, because that is where I saw it. I was thinking it was a tube amp. Perhaps that is why I was not interested. It was perhaps 1998 when I saw it.

12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Texas: Thanks for the clips man. Been wanting a listen to the Tverb forever. Nice bounce on the slide tones!

My Wampus Cat 1x15 remains number one here. It has something special going on. Set up right now, with a Big Ben in there, JJ power tubes, swapped through several NOS preamp tubes to get the right mix. And best of all, a fixed/cathode bias switch plus external test points added. I leave it on fixed mostly. It's 15" speaker heaven at my house, WC set up in the living room, Ampeg Gemini II downstairs. I wish all the best for Doug Sewell. Aside from being a very decent guy, he has great ears, a wonderful touch with tone.

13. Texsunburst59

Thanks mad dog, I really appreciate the kind words. AMEN on Doug, he's one heck of a guy.:D

14. PADDY

PADDY NEW MEMBER!

I've got the early 1x12 Fane equipped Texaverb with the reverb and master on the back.Had a few amps but this to me sounds the Best.I have a US 52 RI TELE and a 95 US STRAT with Texas specials.I had a problem with a capacitor but had it repaired and serviced.Put Svetlana tubes in and a couple of different preamp valves,also replaced the valve rectifier for a solid state rectifier for more headroom and less compression.They are basically Tone heaven .I E mailed Doug during the changes and he was very helpful

15. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

I just picked up a 59's Tweed twin that was build by Doug and distributed by Glendale amps. Its signed and dated from 2005. Anyone remember or have any experience with these? I figure its got to fantastic if Doug Built it. I can't wait to blast my teles through it! I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Dude I play with had one, and returned it. Great amp, I think it was just too powerful and clean...

17. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Yeah its 80 watts. But the Precense knob was removed and replaced with a Master by Doug. I spoke to Dale from Glendale and he remembers it fondly. I'm looking forward to this. :cool:

[​IMG]

Look at these insides: :cool:

[​IMG]

18. Jodnyl

Jodnyl NEW MEMBER!

I have a Sewell amp for sale. Original, blistertone 35 , red , matching 2x12 cab. Signed and dated by doug, played and owned by Paul Reed Smith. Make an offer

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.