Any Righties Tried Paying A Lefty (or vice versa)?

SneakyPup

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I've always played lefty upside down. That would be like your Elizabeth Cotten example, or Albert King. There was a right handed guitar in the house and I just started messing around with it. I would look at chord books and hit the dots with whichever finger could get to it. With the little strings on top, I found it easy to bend strings by pulling down instead of pushing up with a fingertip. The idea of pushing a string up to bend seems like trying to push a rope.

Attachments

• lefty.jpg
    lefty.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 4

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Here's Elizabeth Cotten, lefty, playing a right-handed guitar (re-strung?). Love this song (Freight Train):

No, not restrung. She seems to be playing the downbeat on the treble strings with her thumb, and the back beat on the bass with one finger.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

I just swapped the pickguard for a Lefty-Slant style and get the tones.

Thread reminds me of an old psychology experiment where they had a guy wear inverted goggles and eventually they filmed him riding a motorcycle after he got used to it. However, the switch back to normal vision after taking off the goggles took ten times as long and was really difficult for the guy. I was unable to find that video but here are a couple of similar ones.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I set up my grand-daughter's Christmas guitar today.
It will be her first guitar, I've been teaching her the Uke for a year, which she's stuck at and thought 6 is a good age for her to move on to her first "plank".

She's a lefty.

I tried to play it this evening and I think part of my brain fell out.

I couldn't work the wrapping paper afterwards, it's been hours since I stopped and even typing this is sore.

I should have videoed it then I would be able to see what I'll look like if I live past 95.

Has anyone else tried this successfully?

Nope; I can't bat or throw left-handed either. But I can make clicking noises with the left side of my tongue, but not with the right side. So I'd say I'm right handed and left-tongued.

Dana Rudd

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a lefty and in my 72 years I have never seen a left handed guitar to even try one out. I think about just ordering a cheap on to satisfy my curiosity, then wonder what I'd do with all my guitars if I was a natural lefty. Guess at this stage I'll keep playing righty.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I've tried playing "lefty" just for laughs. It was like normally being able to talk or walk or something competently only to suddenly lose that ability. I hated it.

And I'm a natural lefty.

Play how you want, but it goes to show that playing guitar is simply not subject to "handedness" in the way that other activities are. Obviously, as you need some dexterity in each hand to do it. There's the way you're used to, perhaps a way you're more comfortable with to begin with*, but no way you "have to" play just because you favor a particular hand for other, completely unrelated activities.

*I even take issue with that, because I was more comfortable play "righty" just because that's how I played air guitar, until someone informed me of "how lefties play" and I switch my air guitar playing to that which was super awkward until it wasn't. Then, when I actually started playing guitar, my teacher suggested I at least try playing "righty" to see how it goes (given that "righty" guitars are so much easier to find), and guess what? It was super awkward until it wasn't.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
If you ever need someone to play a single root with quarter notes on a backwards guitar, I’m your man. If I could play backwards on a guitar, I would play drums.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
As an artist I have done the following exercise:
Holding pad of paper beside my head, with pencil in left ('wrong') hand and facing a mirror, draw a self-portrait in reverse with left hand.
This messes with perception and motor skills but I am able to adapt a little during the process.
The brain is fascinating. You hear that, Brain? I'm talking about you, ya pink blob.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Genius idea!!! Thanks!!!

There's 4 grandkids (2left, 2right). Numbers 1 and 2 (right/left) are on the Uke and number 2 wants a guitar.
I thought this health related early retirement was going to be a breeze but my daughter has railroaded me into free guitar, piano and voice lessons of which I used to charge quite modestly for but that's daughters for you.

I'm going to follow you up on your idea, even if it's just to see the look of agreement on my wife's face for the first time in 30+ years when I tell her: "We're gonna need another guitar!"
glad to hear it..wish i had that option when i was younger (much younger;))

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
I have tried playing right handed many times. Can't do it.

Dominant hand must strum/pick.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My teacher is a lefty who plays right handed. I've never tried to play a left handed guitar.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The original question was:

Any Righties Tried Paying A Lefty (or vice versa)?

No, I have not tried paying either, I'm not even sure what to offer either. Or, what I'd be paying them for. :D:D:D:lol::lol::lol:

Lucius Paisley

Tele-Afflicted
As an artist I have done the following exercise:
Holding pad of paper beside my head, with pencil in left ('wrong') hand and facing a mirror, draw a self-portrait in reverse with left hand.
This messes with perception and motor skills but I am able to adapt a little during the process.
The brain is fascinating. You hear that, Brain? I'm talking about you, ya pink blob.

Beside your head? That can't be right. Your hand would be in the way 90% of the time.