Any recommendations for Squier CV Tele Custom pickup upgrade for authentic 60s sound?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Gogogoch, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Hi,

I'm playing in a 1960s covers band that prides itself on replicating the original recordings (as far as possible) when we play live. However, buying original 60s gear is neither practical or manageable. We play Kinks, Beatles, Manfred Mann, Searchers, etc (so not Hendrix, Clapton, etc.) and I'm using a Classic Vibe Tele Custom.

Any recommendations for pickup upgrades to replicate a more authentic 60s sound?

I mostly use the bridge pickup and I'm playing through a Mesa f-50 (I know, that's not a 60s amp.....but, that's another story!)

Cheers!

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Isn't the CVC a low output 60's spec pickup?

Gogogoch and nojazzhere like this.
  3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Should be..
    What do you want it to do differently ?

Gogogoch likes this.
  4. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I'd say you'll have less anguish and more success by looking at different amps before swapping pickups.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

What amp are you using? That will play a lot bigger role than a pickup swap.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Those pickups are great, the neck p/u is perfect, I'd play them as is. If you compared them to a AV '64 set, you'd only be changing the bridge a little, and then you have to adjust them and might find it sounds---the same :)

Gogogoch likes this.
  7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Classic Vibe Custom stock bridge pickup is great as it is and is so close that you'd be splitting hairs over the differences.
    Hie thee to the nearest Vox stockist and avail oneself an AC30, or go nuts and get a WEM. A cheap alternative may be the Joyo ACTone Vox-in-a-box-not-a-fox-in-socks pedal and run your amp fairly clean, just doing the lifting while the pedal does the tone.

8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I thought my CVC nailed 60’s tele tone, especially after I put on a heftier Fender Vintage Bridge plate.....

Other than the mandatory electro socket mod I thought she was perfecto

The alpha pots were a wee bit stiff but still worked for volume swells.

I play thru mostly Vox and Marshall

9. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Before stupidly selling mine, I esquired it and since I wanted a little less highs I out a cavalier fat lion.
    It became one of the best sounding teles I have ever owned. Period.
    But the amp is a big factor also :)

ftbtx and nojazzhere like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I like your material list A LOT.....but those are not what I think of as Telecaster-based bands. I play a lot of "British Invasion" material with my Tele, but I also use a middle pickup and Fender and Vox amps. It's been said here MANY times, but it's gospel truth.....your sound is largely in your hands and playing.
    I've never played through a Mesa amp, but I suspect it's a great amp.....try using your bridge and neck pickups together......I don't really think equipment is your issue here. ;)

radiocaster, fasteddie42 and Gogogoch like this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Lower the pickups, a lot. Turn up the amp/etc.

For the Hendrix stuff ... his bridge pickup has a reverse angle on it, plus when he played a Strat it's more like a Tele having wide open picking range because the volume knob was not in the way.

Different music style than you seek, but watch through the first three or four minutes.

BorderRadio and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

I'm using a Mesa Boogie F-50. Though there is a Twin at the rehearsal room that I love (loud though). The band's other guitarist uses a Blues Jr.

VintageSG suggested a Vox ac30. That would be lovely.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Your pickups are probably fine. Vox tube amp, a delay and a decent verb will go a long way. A Fender tube amp next.

I run a Donner Yellow Fall delay and an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail to get my sixties noises, plus a Joyo Tremolo and AC Tone.

nojazzhere and Gogogoch like this.
  14. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Is the AC Tone noisy? My Mesa f-50 sounds great, but it hisses horrible when turned up, so I'd hate to make that worse by putting a noisy pedal in front of it.

Second question...do you put the AC Tone into the fx loop?

Lastly, any thoughts on using an AC15? The other guitarist uses a Blues Jr, so I'm guessing 15w might be sufficient, but it needs to stay clean and be able to keep up with a drummer.

Can anyone school me on Vox amps?
    Is an AC10 sufficient?

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  15. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Before you swap away from that Boogie...

Try a lower gain 12AY7 in V1. That may sweeten up the clean channel. Mesas are capable of really nice cleans. But some of them take time dialing them in because the tone knobs are so interactive.

And as you know from playing that twin, big, loud cleans get heard. High gain turns to mush.

If you must change your pickups, I can vouch for Fender ‘62 RI pickups.

Gogogoch likes this.
  16. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Thanks for your help. Will definitely try the 12ay7. Would be wonderful if it reduced the white noise hiss of the Mesa. Much appreciated .

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  17. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Keep the pickups the same raise the pickup height of the neck pick up slightly using a sloping method which is slightly slanted higher for the treble strings you might be surprised with the results sorry about the grammar that tdpri app isn't working for me this morning

Gogogoch likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

When gigging, I use either a Blues Junior III, or a Vox Pathfinder 15R rehoused into a cabinet with a 12" speaker. The other guitarist I play with recently switched from a Vox AC15 to an AC10, and he is PLENTY loud. At a recent practice, I ran my Telecaster into one of his old AC15s (he has two), and it sounded glorious! I don't like a lot of effects in my signal.....I mostly use a Mosaic 12-String Emulator or an Arion Chorus....but very rarely.

Gogogoch likes this.
  19. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

Or pedals...

20. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

A lot of guys like the CVC pups and while my neck pickup was fine, I couldn’t get the bridge pup to sound right at any height/angle or through any tube or SS amp. I play an AV62 Tele and the CVC was just ‘thin’ lifeless to me. I finally put in an AV62 bridge pickup and that sure woke her up. Great $42 upgrade (Reverb) in my book.

Gogogoch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.