Any recommendations for a pedal that has both reverb and delay?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gmm52, Jun 15, 2021.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

That was one thing that stood out to me when I got my SFPR back up and running. Comparing it to a real vintage spring reverb head-to-head is quite a noticeable difference, although the Caverns isn't bad, just not the same. I still use my Caverns with my Boss SY-1 setup where I also use a Jazz Chorus modeler.

Hoodster and Drew617 like this.
  2. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You said it better than I was able to. FWIW that's been my experience with a number of digital spring reverbs. They get the basic character, and fill the space behind my notes, well enough, but that's about it. It's possible there are only so many reverb modules available to builders... dunno.

I'm sure there are others I don't know about, but the only pedals that really got it "right" to my ears are the Topanga, and funny enough, Line6's models, both on the Helix and older HD series. The little m5 is $100 or less used and could be a really useful swiss army knife on an otherwise analog pedalboard.

3. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Totally agree. I had the Caverns for about two days and thought the reverb was super uninspiring .

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't find the Caverns uninspiring, just different from a real spring reverb. With the SY-1 setup, I like the modulated reverb on it better than the spring mode.

5. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Empress Echosystem

[​IMG]

The apex pedal. Although it is geared towards DELAY mostly, it has reverb too, that is stellar. It is one of the more expensive pedals out there, but it has a small footprint, program/preset slots, and you'll never get tired of it's sound. It has immense delay functions, but just 3-4 reverb functions. If you're more into reverb than delay then:

Empress Reverb
    [​IMG]

Has focus on reverbs and a plethora of functions for reverb, BUT added as a fringe benefit a few delay algorithms in there as well. Both has "dual" engines, so that's why they can split it up a bit. The reverb in this one sounds better than Strymon, Eventide combined.

Note, if tinkering and fiddling with knobs isn't your thing, you might shy away from it. And of course, the main culprit, your wallet will be scared for life...

6. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

After watching some demos of the Ethereal, I think that’s the way I would go if I were starting over. Of all of the combined delay/reverb pedals, that one sounds like it integrates the two effects the most synergistically.

Killing Floor likes this.
  7. Westsidebluesman

Westsidebluesman TDPRI Member

Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master.

midairmatthew likes this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It’s a piece of cake to dial in.

Hoodster likes this.
  9. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

I borrowed an El Capistan from a co-worker for a week, and it's a great pedal. Easy to get good sounds, and the reverb sounds good. More options with the hidden buttons, and you can save a favorite. It would be a great upgrade from my Flashback, and would definitely repurpose my Dunlop Mini expression pedal to the El Cap for delay control... then again would do the same on any other new delay.

pugnax likes this.
  10. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

A bit out of left field - I have a Keeley DDR, which includes a Bluesbreaker and TS type OD on one side and a selectable verb / digital / analog delay on the other side. I think it's intended for pedal minimalist folks to be their only pedal, perhaps. I don't know if it's the best possible pedal for any of those four / five applications, but it does a lot of good work in a small space and is pretty easy to use.

11. midairmatthew

midairmatthew TDPRI Member

The other day, my two-year-old played with Dispatch Master knobs while I was practicing scale modes, and it never sounded bad because of what she was doing. I highly recommend a DM and small creature with opposable thumbs who'll work for free.

In all seriousness, it sounds like the pedal you're looking for. It nails everything from crisp slapback, subtle plate-ish reverb, big trailsy leads, thick and gooey modulated reverb, and soundscapey ambient stuff.

I was in this same place a few months ago, and I had it narrowed down to DM, Nux Atlantic, Caverns, or lil' Hall of Fame / Flashback combo. I feel like there's not really a wrong choice, especially with how easy it is to flip pedals...get whichever thing pops up most stubbornly in your daydreams, and if it's not right you can always sell it and try the next one.

Edit: I should add that I went with the DM as my "first try" solely because of YouTube video demoes of these pedals. It just sounded more like me, to me, if that makes any sense. I'm still very much in complete awe of the features Nux Atlantic has for what it costs. But I heard sounds I liked the most coming from Dispatch Master, so I stopped forum diving (on this one, specific topic) and went with my ears. I'm 100% happy with my pick. I implore you to do the same. Ears are good.

This is the video that hooked me:

This is a good demo, too, especially to see the alternate universe that clockwise knob turning lands you in:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  12. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Sorry – I did not mean to mis-characterize. What I meant is that I agreed with you about the spring reverb, but also that I personally did not find the pedal inspiring.

13. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I use a Korg SDD3000. I use the Kosmic setting for reverb. The dynamic/ducking feature is ideal for this. I use the SDD setting for dotted eighths and such.

I’ve tried to replace this behemoth for years. It’s like having a pedal board next to my pedal board. But since it does two things perfectly for me—certainly better than anything I’ve tried—I’m keeping it.

14. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

I picked up four pedals today, to try. They are Wampler Etherial, Earthquaker Dispatch Master, Mooer Echoverb, and Keeley Caverns. I'll report back with observations over the next few days, but full disclosure, my criteria is probably different than most users of such pedals. I like my reverb/delay almost undetectable, so my listening tests will be geared almost exclusively to this one very subtle way of using such effects. Again, I appreciate all the suggestions. Some were not available at this particular music store, and I had resigned myself to only consider pedals that they had in stock so I could actually try them.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    midairmatthew likes this.
  15. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Boss RV-6 or Strymon Volante. If you want more verb choice go with the RV-6. If a spring verb will do it for you and you want amazing delays go Volante.

16. Socalsupermoto

Socalsupermoto TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I’m kinda a reverb snob, I’ve returned or sold all of em. I got a canyon for the looper, but ended up using g it on slight delay/reverb and now use channel 1 on my svdr. To my ears sounds very good.

move heard nothing but awesome stuff about the dispatch master!

17. Zoot Zoot

Zoot Zoot TDPRI Member

Boss GT-5 - these were an expensive pro-level multi effects pedal back in the day so would give you a lot more than just the reverb and delay effects. They are very robust, the sounds are still top notch quality and now they go for bargain money.

18. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Boss RV-6, Red Panda Context, Earthquaker Dispatch Master.

Any of those three will do the job in spades.

19. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Here's my thoughts on the pedals I picked up:

All four get a big F for not being battery operated. According to specs. reverb/delay pedals would get about 6 hours out of one battery, and that's more than enough to justify battery operation, so I remain baffled as to why these pedal manufactures didn't include battery connection. It's been so long since I've used a wall wart for pedals that I couldn't find one here, so I had to fashion a 9V battery connector.

That major issue aside, and acknowledging that my criteria may not be the same as the next user's, my ranking top down is Keeley Caverns, Wampler Etherial, Dispatch Master, and Mooer Echoverb. It was not close. Keeley won the day on all my important criteria, those being tone (with pedal off or on), setting options, and ability to dial in particular settings. I could complain about certain details of the other pedals but I don't think it would serve anyone. They all have merit, but Caverns is what I'm going with.

20. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

For stereo, Source Audio Collider.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.